12-14-2016, 09:15 AM
User Info
I am on week 4 of growing a beard and have read elsewhere of the benefits of using a beard oil daily to help "train" the hair. I see lots of products out there, but also have been told to try coconut oil, which certainly is less expensive, as you can get it at any supermarket. I was wondering if anyone has compared various oils and can offer some feedback. Thanks!

0 9
 12-14-2016, 09:16 AM
User Info
I am on week 4 of growing a beard and have read elsewhere of the benefits of using a beard oil daily to help "train" the hair. I see lots of products out there, but also have been told to try coconut oil, which certainly is less expensive, as you can get it at any supermarket. I was wondering if anyone has compared various oils and can offer some feedback. Thanks!

0 9
 12-14-2016, 09:26 AM
User Info
Jojoba and Avocado would be my next recommendations. Both are compatible with the skin and hair. Grapeseed oil or Macadamia nut oil are definite contenders as well. Look at a local health foods store.

81 1,368
 12-14-2016, 10:34 AM
User Info
Mac nut oil! That's gotta be pricey.

8 948
 12-14-2016, 04:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I wore a goatee I use a product made by Beard Baron.

179 23,925
 12-14-2016, 04:28 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I like Proraso beard oils

102 18,668
 12-14-2016, 05:49 PM
User Info
I use jajoba in my hair to add luster, doubt it'd help with training a beard - but it's awesome stuff. Alternatively, honest Amish beard balm is good too.

[Image: BBS-3.jpg?1466758253]

29 1,207
 12-21-2016, 04:51 PM
User Info
(12-14-2016, 05:49 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I use jajoba in my hair to add luster, doubt it'd help with training a beard - but it's awesome stuff. Alternatively, honest Amish beard balm is good too.

[Image: BBS-3.jpg?1466758253]

0 9
 12-21-2016, 06:36 PM
User Info
I have had a beard most of the last 6 months.  My current favorite beard oils are listed below, roughly in those groupings.

JS Sloane.

O'Douds 
Brooklyn Grooming
Mystic Water
Blackbird The Present

Grave Before Shave
Mr Natty
Handlebar Initiative from AoS

They all work, but for me that's only part of it.  Using a good beard wash, moisturizing (I use AS balms after shower), combing / brushing etc are all important.  I also use beard balms when I want more control.

192 1,588
 12-22-2016, 03:30 AM
User Info
Thank you, gentlemen! Although the coconut oil made my face smell nice for a while, it did not do much to control my beard (but it did slowly run down my neck and stain my inside collar). I have tried Honest Amish classic oil and see a big difference. Now the trick will be to exercise some self control so I don't go nuts buying a lot of brands to compare, like I did when I started DE shaving. Thank you again and happy holidays to all!

0 9
 01-11-2017, 09:25 PM
User Info
There are various benefits of using Coconut oil for beard like it makes beard softer, Facial hair looks shinier and healthier after using it, It also Hydrates the skin, prevents hair damage while promoting hair growth. Most of the folks also prefer to use it as a pre-shave oil.

0 1
 01-18-2017, 06:39 PM
User Info
Balms seem to give me some folliculitis, but adding some castor oil to my beard oil regimen has helped give my curly beard hairs a bit of control.  Not as nice as some of the firm balms with beeswax and cocoa butter, but it's just enough to get it looking presentable for me.

16 250
 02-21-2017, 01:39 PM
User Info
Here is a breakdown of how the oils work:

Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature and has a melting temperature of 76 or 93 degrees depending on the fractionation you buy.  Great for the skin and hair, but not my favorite as it is brittle when solid and greasy when liquid IMHO.  
Olive oil is by far my favorite oil.  It is mostly oleic acid and moisturizes very well.  
Canola, sunflower, safflower, rice bran, avocado, and others are similar to olive.  Olive in most cases is cheaper.  
Hemp, sweet almond, grape seed absorb into the hair and skin better to not give a greasy feel.  
Castor is GREAT for preshave oils, but is thick and greasy
jojoba is a liquid wax and along with argan is one of the best oils for hair and skin.  It is very simular to human sebum and cleans out pores.  It is VERY expensive.
argan soaks into the skin very easily, sooths itchy skin and dandruff.  great for eczema.  VERY expensive.

0 173
 02-23-2017, 03:08 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
You are correct about the coconut oil.  One $14 jar last me months.  I used for beard oil, when I had one.  Now, I use it as a pre- & post- shave product.  It is great.

1 589
 02-23-2017, 06:57 AM
User Info
(02-21-2017, 01:39 PM)asiliski Wrote: Here is a breakdown of how the oils work:

Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature and has a melting temperature of 76 or 93 degrees depending on the fractionation you buy.  Great for the skin and hair, but not my favorite as it is brittle when solid and greasy when liquid IMHO.  
Olive oil is by far my favorite oil.  It is mostly oleic acid and moisturizes very well.  
Canola, sunflower, safflower, rice bran, avocado, and others are similar to olive.  Olive in most cases is cheaper.  
Hemp, sweet almond, grape seed absorb into the hair and skin better to not give a greasy feel.  
Castor is GREAT for preshave oils, but is thick and greasy
jojoba is a liquid wax and along with argan is one of the best oils for hair and skin.  It is very simular to human sebum and cleans out pores.  It is VERY expensive.
argan soaks into the skin very easily, sooths itchy skin and dandruff.  great for eczema.  VERY expensive.

Thanks for sharing, I had no idea

~Jesse~

8 91
 05-18-2017, 04:53 AM
User Info
Hey there! Of course, coconut oil has some super powers to keep your beard hair and follicles hydrated, it brings a natural shine to your beard and prevents it from getting dry and itchy. Many men prefer to use it as a beard conditioner or just a pre-shave oil in case you don't want to rock a beard.  [Moderator Note:  Link to vendor of beard oil not affiliated with TSN removed.]  Also, home remedies like applying eucalyptus oil, argan oil can work wonders for you. I hope this helps!

0 1
 06-11-2017, 10:51 PM
User Info
(12-14-2016, 09:15 AM)dkdonin Wrote: I am on week 4 of growing a beard and have read elsewhere of the benefits of using a beard oil daily to help "train" the hair. I see lots of products out there, but also have been told to try coconut oil, which certainly is less expensive, as you can get it at any supermarket. I was wondering if anyone has compared various oils and can offer some feedback. Thanks!

For beard I think you should apply castor oil, Argan oil as it is really effective for the growth of hair you can apply it by mix it with coconut oil it really works my brother used this remedy & it was amazing another useful thing is that my brother used Beard Junk beard tonic that is really effective I will recommend you to apply this it will works within a month. He uses to buy these products from free shipping coupon code from reecoupons & availed their discounts on skin care products. May be they are still sharing their discounts on skin care products.

0 1
 07-26-2017, 07:30 AM
User Info
(12-21-2016, 06:36 PM)waveflow Wrote: I have had a beard most of the last 6 months.  My current favorite beard oils are listed below, roughly in those groupings.

Brooklyn Grooming

Big plus 1. Wish they still made the Lord Jack Knife line. Oil after a shower, Balm in between.

0 22
 07-29-2017, 04:17 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(02-23-2017, 03:08 AM)Quando Wrote: You are correct about the coconut oil.  One $14 jar last me months.  I used for beard oil, when I had one.  Now, I use it as a pre- & post- shave product.  It is great.

I am still on the same jar I bought, right about the time I made this post.  I have stopped using it daily, because of the current living situation (too hot in the bathroom, it melted) But, when it is solid, I can use it.   For my hair, I mean.  I still use it, twice, or, thrice daily, for my lips.  

As opposed to using it, for a shaving product, I now use it, in two different ways:  First, as a, daily, hair treatment, second, as a weekly facial treatment, and, third, as a lip treatment, each time I exfoliate my lips, or, as needed, for the treatment, and, prevention of chappedness.

1 589