12-14-2016, 02:20 PM
User Info
Hey, if you ever bought an iKon SBS I'd like to hear your answers to a few questions. 

1) Did you buy it from the manufacturer or did you get it second-hand? 
2) Do you still own it, or did you sell it? 
3) Do you notice a difference between the OC side and the SB side?
4) Do you notice a difference when the baseplate is placed so "iKon" is on the bottom versus when it is placed so that "SBS" is on the bottom?  If so, which do you prefer, and why? 
5) Did you leave it raw brass?  If so, are you allowing it to develop a patina, or are you polishing it?
6) If you did not leave it raw brass, what did you get it plated with? 
7) If you still own it, is it in your rotation?  Do you think it is one of your best razors, or does it just come up in the rotation once in a while?  
8) What handle do you use with it? 

My answers first. 
1) I bought it second-hand. 
2) I still own it. 
3) I can't tell much difference from side to side.
4) At first I thought I preferred that SBS be showing on the bottom; now I'm not sure.  I used it with iKon showing this morning and it was remarkably smooth. 
5) I left it raw brass, and I am allowing a patina to develop on it.
6) NA
7) It is still in the rotation.  It sits for long periods of time, but every time I pull it out and put it to use I like it and wish I used it more often.
8) I have been using an iKon bamboo for quite some time, but this morning I used a UFO Titan Fine L and I think the lighter handle made it balance better and shave slightly better.  I'm going to try it with different handles over time and see if one of them really stands out. 

Your turn.........

2 1,555
 12-14-2016, 02:27 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(12-14-2016, 02:20 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Hey, if you ever bought an iKon SBS I'd like to hear your answers to a few questions. 

1) Did you buy it from the manufacturer or did you get it second-hand? 
2) Do you still own it, or did you sell it? 
3) Do you notice a difference between the OC side and the SB side?
4) Do you notice a difference when the baseplate is placed so "iKon" is on the bottom versus when it is placed so that "SBS" is on the bottom?  If so, which do you prefer, and why? 
5) Did you leave it raw brass?  If so, are you allowing it to develop a patina, or are you polishing it?
6) If you did not leave it raw brass, what did you get it plated with? 
7) If you still own it, is it in your rotation?  Do you think it is one of your best razors, or does it just come up in the rotation once in a while?  
8) What handle do you use with it? 
1) Got it directly from Greg. To my knowledge, it was never offered "for sale." He sent me a PayPal invoice based on an email query.
2) Still own.
3) Very little difference between the OC and SB in the shave quality. They feel a little different on the face.
4) For the life of me, I can't tell a difference.
5) Raw, baby. It's starting to get a nice patina.
6) I considered plating in rhodium, and may still one day, but for now, I'm happy.
7) It's in my rotation. I don't consider it one of my "best" but it's very good, and I use it a few times a month in rotation. I'll probably use it tomorrow, just because of this thread.  Biggrin
8) I like the iKon OSS that it came with, but I've also used it with a UFO Titan Fine, which makes for an interesting balance point.

EDIT: Funny, I honestly did not even glance at your replies before writing my own. Interesting to see the common themes.

22 835
 12-14-2016, 02:30 PM
User Info
1) I bought it straight from Ikon and was the original owner
2) No, sold it
3) I could not tell the difference
4) I honestly thought this was a gimmick, i couldn't tell the difference when it was flipped either way
5) Raw Brass and i always polished it when i owned it, it didn't develop any noticeable patina when i owned it.
6) See answer 5
7) See answer 2
8) When i had it, i paired it with an iKon DLC Bulldog handle.

7 787
 12-15-2016, 06:39 AM
User Info
I used it again this morning, but on the UFO Kaiser short handle, and with the word iKon showing.  Polsilver SI blade on its 8th or 9th shave.  

Got a nice, smooth, comfortable two-pass plus touch-up shave.  I think I preferred it on the Titan Fine L, but it was pretty good on the Kaiser short.  I think this is a really nice head.  Maybe a bit more blade feel than I'd prefer, and not quite as smooth as the Tradere that it seems to be modeled after, but not bad at all. 

If I had one wish, it would be that Greg had foregone the idea of a reversible baseplate.  I don't see a difference, so it just adds unnecessary weight to the baseplate, IMO.  I even went as far as to e-mail James at Wolfman Razors to see if he could machine off all that excess, making one side of the baseplate totally flat.  I never went through with it, but I thought hard about it.

2 1,555
 12-15-2016, 07:26 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
1) 2nd hand
2) Still own it - one of about 4 razors I will never sell.
3) Yes - both have a difference for me - quite easy to tell. I prefer the OC
4) Yes - both have a difference for me - quite easy to tell and a greater difference than number 3. I like SBS on the bottom.
5) Yes - raw and yes to patina (like my watches!)
6) Did not but, considered rhodium
7) Yes - one of my top three.
8) Triad brass

28 666
 12-18-2016, 10:23 PM
User Info
1) Ikon
2) Still own it
3) SB side seems to glide better
4) No difference
5) Raw brass, not polishing it, but wipe it off after every shave
7) Still in the rotation, cones up maybe 2 times a month
8) UFO Red Kong or Triad Ti Helix

16 216
 12-19-2016, 12:00 PM
User Info
1) Bought it from Ikon.
2) Still own it and will keep it!
3) Yes the OC side is a bit more aggressive than the SB side. SB side is somewhat smoother.
4) Yes the Ikon side is more aggressive and the side I use most. With a brand new blade I go for the SBS side that is less aggressive.
5) Yes I kept the brass so far. I would like it rhodiumplated. No polishing. I clean it with soap and add a drop of mineral oil. The cap got a dark water spot once but I rubbed it off with the towel practically without effort.
6) -
7) Without question it is the best razor I own, and I have tried a lot of razors. It is the best razor in my top five, now six rotation since I bought it.
8) I prefer a shorter, less heavy handle that has a good grip: Bulldog or cadet brass handle.

0 13
 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM
User Info
Thanks, guys.  

I fired it up this morning on my UFO Titan Fine L.  It's really a good shaver.  Better than I remembered it, for sure.  I'm going to have to keep it close to the front of the rotation for a while.  Really a nice, smooth shaver.  I kind of wish both sides were SB, and that the overall head weight were slightly lower, but those are quibbles.  It's a fine razor, to be sure.

2 1,555
 01-03-2017, 03:19 PM
User Info
1) Bought it 2nd Hand.

2) Still own it and will keep it
3) Yes the OC side is a bit more aggressive than the SB side. SB side is somewhat smoother. 
4) Yes the Ikon side visible is more aggressive.
5) Mine is black rhodium plated from Chris Evatt at Razorplate.com. He does great work..
6) -
7) it is the best razor in my top six, up there with my 1st Gen Tradere OC, the Eclipse, the Bohin, the Ikon S3S and the Ikon HP.  I'm still looking for an Ikon Modern !!!!!!
8) I have the Ikon OSS handle.

BTW, how many Ikon SBS were made??????

0 15
 01-04-2017, 07:08 AM
User Info
(01-03-2017, 03:19 PM)Actor07 Wrote: 1).....  I'm still looking for an Ikon Modern !!!!!!

2)  BTW, how many Ikon SBS were made??????

1) Good luck.  I looked for one for a while but then gave up.  I know one came and went right under my eyes on the swap and shop section of shavenook; missed it because....well, you know.....I have a job and all.  Can't be watching the forum 24/7, unfortunately.

2)  That's a darn good question.  I asked this question of the forum members earlier, but didn't get an answer.  I'm not sure that anybody really knows.  It's not clear that Greg ever disclosed that information.  I don't think there were very many, though.  
Probably more than another iKon razor in my possession.  I have a Pils copy that Greg made.  It's exactly like a Pils but with knurling on the handle.  This razor antedates all the Pils-like razors he later made (Modern, S3S, H2O).  I have the informational sheet Greg sent out with this razor that indicates he only made 80 of them.  I'm guessing that the number of SBS razors was well into the hundreds, but I don't really know.

2 1,555
 01-04-2017, 07:32 AM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 07:08 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 03:19 PM)Actor07 Wrote: 1).....  I'm still looking for an Ikon Modern !!!!!!

2)  BTW, how many Ikon SBS were made??????

1) Good luck.  I looked for one for a while but then gave up.  I know one came and went right under my eyes on the swap and shop section of shavenook; missed it because....well, you know.....I have a job and all.  Can't be watching the forum 24/7, unfortunately.

2)  That's a darn good question.  I asked this question of the forum members earlier, but didn't get an answer.  I'm not sure that anybody really knows.  It's not clear that Greg ever disclosed that information.  I don't think there were very many, though.  
Probably more than another iKon razor in my possession.  I have a Pils copy that Greg made.  It's exactly like a Pils but with knurling on the handle.  This razor antedates all the Pils-like razors he later made (Modern, S3S, H2O).  I have the informational sheet Greg sent out with this razor that indicates he only made 80 of them.  I'm guessing that the number of SBS razors was well into the hundreds, but I don't really know.

Thanks for the excellent information.  In fact, you are blessed to possess the other Ikon razor that I'm searching for (the Pils-inspired one).  How does that shave?  Those two razors are the two Ikons that are the most difficult to locate.  I'm been searching everywhere for the Modern.  I believe only 50 were made.  If you ever want to unload your iKon Pils, PM me.  I'm sure we can come to acceptable terms.  

0 15
 01-04-2017, 11:34 AM
User Info
Actor07, I love the way the iKon Pils shaves.  Very mild and very, very smooth.  It's beautiful, too.  Only downside for me is blade loading.  It's pretty hard to get the top cap on perfectly straight.  

And since the Pils is known to have problems with "tea staining," I remove the blade and dry the razor after every shave.  Usually I take a few minutes and load a blade in the evening so that in the morning when I'm tired there is already a correctly loaded blade in there.  Some evenings it loads right up perfectly the first time, and sometimes it takes 4 or 5 tries to get it right.  Most of the time it takes 2 or 3.  It's not that bad, and the shave I get from it is worth the effort.  

If I ever get sick of it, I'll let you know.

2 1,555
 01-04-2017, 12:45 PM
User Info
that's good to know.  I didn't know about the blade alignment issue on the Ikon Pils.  I know that the original iKon Slant had some blade misalignment issues although I did not personally experience any.

I did hear about the problem with the original PILS but since I normally remove my blade (A Feather always) after every shave that would be a non-issue.

Thanks for your advice and let me know if you are willing to part with the iKon Pils.

Brian

0 15
 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM
User Info
Brian, 

I think the blade aligns properly, because it's on the tabs on the baseplate.  But getting the top cap to seat on it and be perfectly straight is sometimes difficult.  So sometimes the blade looks crooked but it looks that way because the top cap is slightly off; careful inspection shows the gap to be perfect all along the blade.

2 1,555
 01-05-2017, 03:12 PM
User Info
1)  Bought directly from Ikon. 
2) Still own it.
3) Slightly,  I always use the open comb for the first pass and closed for the rest.
4) Cannot tell a difference. Not even sure which is supposed to be more aggressive. 
5) Raw...... In my opinion nothing beats brass that has a good patina. Beautiful.
6) 
7) It is in rotation, I like to use it when I have a few days worth of growth. 
8) Ikon OSS handle

I have noticed that on my SBS I have to pay attention to top cap alignment, there is a little bit of play which can cause the blade to seem to be misaligned. Once I have everything squared and tighted down the handle it is solid as a rock and holds the blade very securely. I get very little blade chatter out of this razor.

3 78
 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM
User Info
1) 2nd hand - I was in the midst of paying when Greg cancelled my PayPal invoice and sold mine to someone else.

2) Sold it.
3) Yes.
4) I think the SBS label showing is the more mild side. I preferred it.
5) Raw brass, and I kept it polished.
6) n/a - I didn't plate it or coat it.
7) I sold it because I found that I liked other ones better. It's a unicorn, but it wasn't for me.
8) OSS - it's a simple steel handle, but a good one.

4 181