12-14-2016, 09:06 PM
User Info
I hear from many, that Stirling is the best of the cheapest shaving soaps, you can get.

I also hear from some, that no matter the price, Stirling is among the best shaving soaps you can get.

Still have yet to test it, am I missing out compared to the big dogs ?

What are your favourite Stirling soap scents ?

How is Stirling compared to:

CRSW
Jabonman/Eufros tallow/Premium
B&M
Tabula Rasa
Nuavia
Mike's Natural
Wickham's 1912
Sapo Varesino
Castle Forbes
SMN
SDM
Klar
Haslinger
MDC
LPL
MT
P&B

and all the other great soaps out there.

24 5,850
 12-14-2016, 09:14 PM
User Info
I got turned off to Stirling due to mediocre reviews when they first came out. But their newer versions seem to get a lot of praise. I'd also be curious how they compare to the soaps you listed.

38 1,159
 12-14-2016, 09:21 PM
User Info
To be honest the soap is easy to load , is nice slick and stable while shaving , and has a nice post shave. I would say it performs like a cella type lather. The scents are of good strength but I just have not found one for me that would replace a few other soaps I like in terms of scent. Performance is very good.

60 1,412
 12-14-2016, 09:42 PM
User Info
All I can say is I have gotten some of my BEST shaves using Stirling. Shaves that compare to Nuavia, B&M Glissant, SV, Mystic Water, etc. I will say that I do believe that some soaps end up performing better for some people than others possibly due to water hardness, skin type etc. so YMMV.

I would agree that the scents are not as.... What's a good word... Refined maybe... As some such as CRSW, Sapone di Paolo, Nuavia, & Mystic Water. Although all of the aforementioned artisans make some of my very favorite scents.

3 913
 12-14-2016, 09:52 PM
User Info
I have two Stirling soaps, personally I felt that they are slightly inferior(but still good) to some of my top soaps like Eufros Tallow, CRSW, B&M Glissant, Tallow+Steel or Mikes. In all honestly, I haven't use them for a month or two already, ready being I also dislike some of their scent as they smells much more synthetic than natural IMO.

0 176
 12-14-2016, 09:53 PM
User Info
Stirling is a great performer with amazing value. It's perfect for heavy loaders like you, Claus.

In terms of performance and ease of lathering, they are probably a tiny step below B&M's Glissant, but they are not far behind. They are up there in the top tier artisan level in my opinion. (Among B&M, MLS, CRSW etc)

This is just my personal experience but over all, I get more satisfaction with my Stirling soaps than Nuavia and SV.

Their performance is very close to Reef Point. Another favorite artisan of mine.

11 1,149
 12-14-2016, 10:12 PM
User Info
I love Stirling soaps, I have about exhausted my preferences in their scent line and anxiously await new arrivals. I have not used many soaps/makers on your list, but I have used B&M Arctique, as well as Adagio and find Stirling to be on par with them. 

I really like their Citrus scents (Lime, Lemon Chill, Orange Chill, Margaritas in the Arctic{my favorite}) I also enjoy Black Cherry, Sharp Dressed Man and Just used Pharaoh's Dreamsicle and liked the scent. I have absolutely no problem building a thick rich lather in no time. 

The only couple scents I really didn't care for were...

Coniferous- It smells like a pine forest (dirt, bark, sap, needles and all) It triggered a psychological "Sticky" feeling due to climbing lots of pine trees when I was young, the soap was in no way sticky.

Ben Franklin- The frankincense was too overpowering for me, it's all I could smell.

Hot Apple Cider 2016- It contains a lot of cinnamon oil, and was like rubbing Tiger Balm/Icy hot on my face, by the second pass my face was burning and I almost couldn't finish a 3rd pass. Cold water immediately relived it with no lasting redness, but it wasn't pleasant.

Pumpkin Spice 2016- It smells like you're shaving with a scented candle (Yankee Candle here in the States) it was sickly sweet and just turned my stomach.

I'm not partial to their Cologne scents (Stirling Noir {Drakkar Noir}), but I don't like musky colognes from anyone so I can't fault Stirling for me not liking very many Colognes.

0 81
 12-15-2016, 12:02 AM
User Info
For me Stirling is easy to use with nice protection and post shave. The slickness is where it really shines. Amazing! 

It's not a top tier soap för me, but not too far away. 

My top tier soaps are, in no particular order. 

Eufros/JabonMan (especially the tallow version) 
B&M
Mystic Water 
L&L Grooming 
Mike's
Reef Point 

Scent wise not up there with the best. 
I like Executive Man,  Sharp Dressed Man, MITA (great summer soap).

0 86
 12-15-2016, 12:12 AM
User Info
I am a big fan of Stirling. Probably my #1 top soap. It gives me the most protective lather out of all my best soaps that I use anymore.
My list of best soaps is :

Stirling
Mikes Natural
Mystic Water
B&M
Haslinger (Sheep milk)
Cella (brick kilo)
Valobra (stick)
AOS (tallow)

I compare Stirling with Mikes,Mystic Water,Haslinger,& B&M. Stirling with edge in lather protection. Mystic Water & Haslinger with edge in aftershave feel. Mystic Water & B&M has edge in scent department.
My favorite scents are:

BARBER SHOP   (old fashioned unique Barber shop scent)
SHARP DRESSED MAN   (green Irish tweed scent)
PIACENZA   (parma type scent)
VANILLA SANDALWOOD   (SIMPLE BUT NICE)

As for price it's very reasonable! Large tub 5.8 oz about 12.50,refill puck 4.5 oz about 8.50,& 1 oz sample puck about 2.75.Not bad.
Hope this helps some.

Darius

3 40
 12-15-2016, 12:45 AM
User Info
Stirling unfairly carries the baggage of older formulas that were not up to the level of its competitors. The current formula however is every inch as good as my personal top artisans (B&M, L&L, T+S, etc.).

To answer your second question, here are some of my favorites:
  • Tuscany (spicy, woodsy, floral)
  • Ozark Mountain (pine, earth, the smell of a forest)
  • Mountain Man (Creed SMW)
  • Gatlinburg (another outdoorsy scent, more smoky and spicy)
  • Margaritas in the Arctic (lime with menthol)
  • Piacenza (AdP Colonia)
While you're there Claus, I suggest looking into the 24mm fan brush. I know you have a lengthy selection of high-end badgers but IMO it's a winner.

15 1,021
 12-15-2016, 12:58 AM
User Info
(12-15-2016, 12:45 AM)crazindndude Wrote: Stirling unfairly carries the baggage of older formulas that were not up to the level of its competitors. The current formula however is every inch as good as my personal top artisans (B&M, L&L, T+S, etc.).

To answer your second question, here are some of my favorites:

• Tuscany (spicy, woodsy, floral)
  • Ozark Mountain (pine, earth, the smell of a forest)
  • Mountain Man (Creed SMW)
  • Gatlinburg (another outdoorsy scent, more smoky and spicy)
  • Margaritas in the Arctic (lime with menthol)
  • Piacenza (AdP Colonia)
While you're there Claus, I suggest looking into the 24mm fan brush. I know you have a lengthy selection of high-end badgers but IMO it's a winner.
Signs011 Regarding fan brush.Also Aftershave balm & splashes are excellent too.

3 40
 12-15-2016, 02:58 AM
User Info
(12-14-2016, 09:21 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: To be honest the soap is easy to load , is nice slick and stable while shaving , and has a nice post shave. I would say it performs like a cella type lather. The scents are of good strength but I just have not found one for me that would replace a few other soaps I like in terms of scent. Performance is very good.

My issue with Stirling as well - scents are merely good, nothing to blow my hair back.  Too many other great soaps around that also have scents I love!  Do love the balms though, currently have Executive Man (Aventus clone) and Mountain Man (Silver Water clone).

52 1,176
 12-15-2016, 03:42 AM
User Info
I rate Stirling very highly myself. Almost up there with Mike's and CRSW. If I got told I could only use Stirling soap for the rest of my life I would be OK with that.

4 103
 12-15-2016, 05:07 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I find the current formula to be excellent and definitely punches well above its price. I am one of the ones that remember some of the earlier formulas, and they did in fact turn me off from the brand for a few years. I recently revisited Stirling and I'm glad I did. The trick is to find the right scent...from what I recall some were really not to my liking. My recent reintroduction was to Executive Man, which is their take on Aventus, and it is well done. The presentation is average, and YOU will not be impressed especially when comparing to SV, CRSW, etc.... Tubs are a good size, but they are green (a positive for some, a negative for others). The soap looks like it is poured directly in so at first it is bumpy -- helps for loading, but I know you like presentation Claus and I think you may not approve.

I find it to be extremely slick, with great post shave however it washes off the skin quite clean which surprised me. In my book, it is an excellent value and a great everyday soap. I would MUCH rather use Stirling than for example RR soaps when it comes to performance to price ratio. I am pretty sure if this same exact formula was presented differently, it could command double the price and you would see much more talk about it. Just my personal take.

For your purposes Claus, it is worth trying at some point, but I wouldn't rush out and buy 8. If you get a chance to add one to a future order or something, definitely go for it...but I wouldn't go out of your way. I've read enough of your posts to have a slight idea how you are, so my advice is specific to you. For others that live in the US, you definitely should try out Stirling and judge for yourself. It doesn't break the band, so the risk is low.

34 1,628
 12-15-2016, 07:49 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I like Stirling soaps a lot. I have been using them for 3+ years now in my rotation and have been through all of the iterations.

I keep these in my Den: Gentleman, Executive Man, Margaritas in the Arctic, Ozark Mountain.

4 2,696
 12-15-2016, 08:02 AM
User Info
Claus;  I am in the same boat.  I have no Stirling soaps.  I may have tried a sample before, but I'm not sure.  I decided to buy one soap recently when I ordered the new 2-band fan brush of theirs.  It was a cheap way to try them.  I went with Sterling Spice, because I don't have anything like that scent.  Can't open it until Christmas, though.

11 193
 12-15-2016, 08:09 AM
User Info
They are one of my favorites and a fantastic value. I would rate the current versions above Mike's. Compared to CRSW, Stirling is easier to lather for me (though neither is difficult), but not quite as good face feel afterwards. 

Scents are hit and miss, but there's so many you're bound to find something that appeals. Ozark Mountain is probably my favorite, but I like Orange Chill, Margaritas in the Arctic, and Ben Franklin as well. 

The bottom line for me is that it's cheap enough at $12-13 for 5.8oz that I don't feel like there's any reason to go for anything less, and good enough that I rarely see the reason to go for something pricier.

9 112
 12-15-2016, 08:12 AM
User Info
Probably my top soap.  I find it better than both Mike's and Wickham's, which I think are the only others in your list that I've tried.  

Favorite scents so far are Sharp Dressed Man, Executive Man, Barbershop, Mountain Man.

1 296
 12-15-2016, 08:19 AM
User Info
Its OK. Scents are simple and well made. Like a good mainstream aftershave. Lather is very nice. The only problem I find is that it creates a layer that makes it extremely slippery to a point I don't like it anymore (hard to pull the skin for str8 shaving) and is hard to rinse it off. That pushes it well below any of the soaps you mentioned and that I've tried.

8 1,065
 12-15-2016, 08:53 AM
User Info
Stirling soaps are remarkable performers for the price.

I'm not sure I can fairly compare tallow soaps to non-tallows, so I'll say this. My very top performing and enjoyable tallow soaps to use are the Barrister and Mann glissants, the CRSW v2 Select, and the Eufros tallows. Very small distinctions among those, all top tier for me. Stirling in the new formulation is very close. The scents are not as sophisticated as Barrister's, and the post shave is just a tad below those three. Again, very very close.

For the value, it's a very solid choice. And I agree on the balms and the brushes, especially the new fans that are out.

23 599