12-15-2016, 09:11 AM
User Info
Very similar performance to Mike's and CRSW. Never found a scent I enjoyed. The ones I've tried all smelled like cheap knock off colognes. Great soap base though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,404
 12-15-2016, 09:30 AM
User Info
I'm a big advocate for Stirling. I understand it may not perform as well as other top tier soaps (may not hold up to BM or other artisans), but for the quality, selection, price, and slick performance, it's just a good soap overall. YMMV.

I like enjoy the following scents:
Sharp Dressed man
Executive Man
Ozark Mountain (one of my favorite scent, great for the winter season)
Mountain Man
Scotts Pine Sheep (slick mutton tallow)
Coniferous

Then you have the metholated (Glacials) soaps for the cool summers:
Margitas in the Arctic
Frozen Tundra
Wintergreen
Spearmint
Orange Chill
Black Ice

The balms are also a great value for their if you managed to pick up the matching sets, although some scents wasn't too kind to my skin. YMMV
And there's also a variety of discounted items from time to time.

32 760
 12-15-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
(12-15-2016, 08:19 AM)lloydrm Wrote: Its OK. Scents are simple and well made. Like a good mainstream aftershave. Lather is very nice. The only problem I find is that it creates a layer that makes it extremely slippery to a point I don't like it anymore (hard to pull the skin for str8 shaving) and is hard to rinse it off. That pushes it well below any of the soaps you mentioned and that I've tried.

I never thought about that, as I'm not a skin stretcher.  I would imagine it would be difficult with Stirling.

1 307
 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM
User Info
(12-15-2016, 08:19 AM)lloydrm Wrote: Its OK. Scents are simple and well made. Like a good mainstream aftershave. Lather is very nice. The only problem I find is that it creates a layer that makes it extremely slippery to a point I don't like it anymore (hard to pull the skin for str8 shaving) and is hard to rinse it off. That pushes it well below any of the soaps you mentioned and that I've tried.
I think you may not have used enough water and it was just too thick. I've run into that before with Stirling and other soaps.

1 51
 12-15-2016, 01:59 PM
User Info
I haven't used all the soaps listed but I'm satisfied with Stirling's ease of prep, slickness, and lather quality - I bowl lather.  My number one criteria for a soap is slickness and IMV Stirling hits it out of the park.  It's also reasonably priced plus they (Rod) have a nice selection of scents and great customer service.   A very close second in slickness (I mean slight) and all the other good criteria is Route 66.  Those are my main two soaps and I see no need to seek others.  I'm finishing off a puck of Arlington (DH HARRIS) which is also a fine soap but not in the same slickness range as Stir & R66.

0 135
 12-15-2016, 02:21 PM
User Info
Claus, Stirling is a very good soap.  Performance while not quite as good, is in the same ball park as B&M and Mike's.   I actually prefer it to CRSW v1.  

But for a fragrance aficionado like yourself, I'm afraid you'd find the scents too pedestrian, especially when considering the added cost of shipping overseas.  That said, I enjoy Executive Man, Margaritas in the Arctic, and Mountain Man.

For US based shavers, Stirling vies with B&M Latha and MW as the best value soap in the market IMHO.  

If you are thinking about an alternative US artisan, I'd look at L&L Bison Tallow.  The soap base is more unique and the extra few bucks a tub won't matter when you take into account international shipping.

That said, I own all three Stirling badger brushes (as well as the Kong) and consider them the best value brushes in the market.  So you could say I'm a bit of a Stirling fanboy (along with being a bit of a B&M fanboy and Paladin fanboy  Blush). 

If you do pull the trigger on some Stirling soap, it may not prove to be #1 in your den, but you won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

Alex

11 972
 12-15-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
I really like Rod's Barbershop scent. But whenever I was using the soap I couldn't get a consistent shave out of it. So Stirling is more finicky in my opinion to lather than other soaps. Regarding your comparisons:

B&M --> Stirling is slicker, but not as thick. And don't let the price tag fool you. Since I had to use 2x or 3x as much Stirling as I do B&M soap, the price was a wash
Haslinger --> Haslinger wins for shave, Stirling wins for post-shave (unless you buy Schafmilch then it wins on both)
P&B --> I find them comparable

6 988
 12-15-2016, 03:54 PM
User Info
I've used every soap on your list with the exception of l & l. The current formula can hold its own against all of the soaps on that and in my opinion even surpasses some of the higher end name brands on that list. Scent is subjective. For instance I love the scent of xpec where others think it smells like feret urine.
To boot I believe that Rod served his country honorably prior to the sudsing business.

93 921
 12-15-2016, 04:11 PM
User Info
Stirling performs pretty crackin well, especially considering it's price point. Cushion is on par with B&M Glissant and Stirling is noticeably more slick. The scents are the brands weak spot. Still I prefer a number of Stirlings scents to anything from B&M. 

Not quite a Top Tier soap due to artificial smelling scents and lack of post shave.

0 127
 12-15-2016, 04:35 PM
User Info
Very good performing soaps, scent profiles are a bit eh, but you may find some you enjoy. 1 that i was gifted from Eric on the forum is Scotts pine, very unique and possibly the best nurturing, thickest lather of the few that I've tried from stirling. Solid soaps that are worth a try.
Very stable and slick, they don't dry out very quickly, tons of cushion with a nice post-shave feel. You def need to try Scotts pine with whatever order you place as that is a whole unique formula with the mutton tallow

28 777
 12-15-2016, 06:25 PM
User Info
(12-15-2016, 03:54 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I've used every soap on your list with the exception of l & l.  The current formula can hold its own against all of the soaps on that and in my opinion even surpasses some of the higher end name brands on that list.  Scent is subjective.  For instance I love the scent of xpec where others think it smells like feret urine.  
To boot I believe that Rod served his country honorably prior to the sudsing business.

AMEN! God Bless Rod for his service to our Country. I also thank Rod for his great soap!LOL. Cheers

Darius

3 40
 12-15-2016, 07:08 PM
User Info
Only Mike's Natural, B&M and perhaps MLS beat Stirling's performance. Stirling is at least as good as Haslinger. Best scent for me by far is Gatlinburg - amazing stuff.

44 440
 12-15-2016, 07:46 PM
User Info
(12-15-2016, 03:54 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I've used every soap on your list with the exception of l & l.  The current formula can hold its own against all of the soaps on that and in my opinion even surpasses some of the higher end name brands on that list.  Scent is subjective.  For instance I love the scent of xpec where others think it smells like feret urine.  

I second this.  Only soap I like better is AOS Tallow in sandalwood (because of scent). Stirling lather is as slick as any out there and is easy to get that shiny, ropey lather I like.  Do it Claus!

6 320
 12-17-2016, 11:05 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I like Stirling quite a lot. I haven't used a lot of the fragrances, but like grapefruit, coconut lime, and piacenza fragrances very much. The soap base is slick and is a good straight razor soap. It's a little more difficult to lather than the high end soaps, and doesn't perform quite as well, but you would not expect it to match ABC at it's price point.

Stirling also has really good bath soaps and many people like the balms very much - I have not tried the balms yet. Stirling has a very wide and robust product line and is to me one of the stronger American artisan lines.

Cheers, Steve

7 607
 12-17-2016, 06:27 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Stirling is a very good soap, especially for the price.  It is not in the class of Mike's, the Valobroid hard soaps, Tallow+Steel, or even Fine Accoutrements American Blend, which is in a similar price range to Stirling.  In my experience you really have to [over]load your brush with Stirling to ensure more than one good pass.  From reading the ingredient list, I suspect that part of the problem is that the soap is relatively low in stearate, which helps firm up and give body to lathers.  However, if you do not have problems lathering MW, then you will probably be able to master the effective water/soap ratio for Stirling and have an excellent result at an excellent price.  I have sporadically obtained excellent results with Stirling, but in a somewhat inconsistent manner.

However, in contrast with one of the above posters, IMHO Stirling is not anywhere in the class of Cella with respect to ease of obtaining a nice thick lather which provides excellent slickness and protection.  Cella, aside from its scent,  is a classic performer for good reason.  

Others that I believe superior to Stirling, although pricier:
- Barrister & Mann
- Reef Point

As a last note, I would suspect that for an avid collector like yourself, the extra money for top tier soaps is not an issue.  So why bother?

1 796
 12-17-2016, 08:15 PM
User Info
Stirling is the only shaving soap I use. The only one I don't like is Bay Rum (too clovey). The sample pucks are such a good price theres almost no excuse not to try them.

0 597
 12-17-2016, 09:11 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Not a fan of Stirling soap.  For me, the soap performance is well below B&M, and is several tiers down below Nuavia, SMN V3, Castle Forbes and others.

Eric

49 1,006
 12-17-2016, 09:31 PM
User Info
I've really never had an issue lathering stirling, for me its extremely easy to lather. Those of you that have had issues, do you live by extremely hard water or have you not tried the newer formula?

It reminds me a bit of mystic waters but not as nice in the scent department, maybe a touch more stable.

I agree with one of the other posters though, with your experience in scents, and your budget, I don't necessarily think stirring is the brand for you

28 777
 12-17-2016, 10:19 PM
User Info
Add me to the list of not impressed. I've tried several times to like Stirling soaps - bcs of the budget price I've accumulated approx 8 diff scents & just can't bring myself to use them over the top tier soaps in my den. While I find them easy enough to lather, the scents are synthetic, I don't find good slickness & post shave is not on the level of CRSW or Mikes or Sudsy Soapery. I'd go so far as to say Stirling soap is not as good as K Shaveworx. Just my .02

1 55
 12-17-2016, 10:21 PM
User Info
(12-15-2016, 07:08 PM)shaveser Wrote: Only Mike's Natural, B&M and perhaps MLS beat Stirling's performance. Stirling is at least as good as Haslinger. Best scent for me by far is Gatlinburg - amazing stuff.

If you like Gatlinburg, you'll love L&L Grooming Darkfall. Similar scent profile, but super slick & great post shave.

1 55