07-27-2017, 04:49 PM
User Info
I keep looking at them to replace one that I gave to a friend. I've been holding off, hoping I might get a deal on a used one. I usually don't soak my brushes, instead running the hot water on them while I fill the sink. Furthermore, some of my favorite brushes have short thick handles (Chubby, 4125, LoveYourShave) and while I can use them in my Latherwhip mug, it is tight.

2 143
 07-27-2017, 05:00 PM
User Info
I still love mine. I think it's the best lather bowl out there.

5 1,516
 07-29-2017, 12:23 PM
User Info
I am torn between this or the regular/large Captain's choice. What do you gentlemen, think?

10 1,129
 07-29-2017, 01:16 PM
User Info
(07-29-2017, 12:23 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I am torn between this or the regular/large Captain's choice. What do you gentlemen, think?

I've only used the Fine, and I think it is excellent, but the CC gets a lot of love, too. If I were to get the CC, I would get the larger size. Another bowl that gets recommended a lot is a copper shaving bowl from Turkey sold on ebay. It has dimples hammered into it to help whip up the lather. It is sold with a fixed price anywhere from about $9 to $16. I am 100% sure that any of those will do the job well.

2 143
 07-29-2017, 02:30 PM
User Info
used the fine for over a year.  loved it but i am always looking, got a large capt. choice and have been using it lately.  both are equally great in my opinion.  that must be why i got the dottie one a couple months ago with the handle. still learning it and would give the nod to the fine bowls.

73 1,262
 07-29-2017, 02:53 PM
User Info
(07-29-2017, 12:23 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I am torn between this or the regular/large Captain's choice. What do you gentlemen, think?

I had the Captains' choice and it was ok but I liked the Fine much better. I ended up getting rid of the Captains' bowl. I like everything about the Fine bowl. I like that it is wide and the ridges in it work better when you swirl your brush in it. I like the fact that it is not too deep because you won't get the clanking noise from your brush hitting the sides. And I like the way you can hold it with your thumb. It is the best I've seen so far.

5 1,516
 07-29-2017, 03:06 PM
User Info
(07-29-2017, 02:53 PM)shave/brush Wrote:

I had the Captains' choice and it was ok but I liked the Fine much better. I ended up getting rid of the Captains' bowl. I like everything about the Fine bowl. I like that it is wide and the ridges in it work better when you swirl your brush in it. I like the fact that it is not too deep because you won't get the clanking noise from your brush hitting the sides. And I like the way you can hold it with your thumb. It is the best I've seen so far.

I'm far from a bowl lather user, in fact I bowl lather once in a blue moon, but I have owned a few dozen bowls, and sold all, except one - the Fine bowl.
If I was ever to bowl lather with one of my synthetics, (synthetics are best for bowl lathering in my view, not for face lathering, where PRIME badgers still beat the cr_ap out of any PRIME synthetic), I would bowl lather in my Fine bowl, since it's the only one I found worth keeping.

No, I'm not hired by Fine, Fine just made a mighty fine bowl  Tongue

24 5,842