09-13-2022, 05:16 AM
User Info
(09-13-2022, 02:06 AM)Sully Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 01:15 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I'm dialing in a new espresso bean in my grinder today.   These beans are straight from Bronx's Little Italy in New York City.  It's called the Zoo Blend in reference to the Bronx Zoo.  This blend is 50% dark roast beans and 50% medium roast beans.

I've had some pretty interesting espresso from blends like that Ricardo.  We have a grocery store similiar to Whole Foods (but cheaper) that roasts their own coffee, they do a mix of light, medium, and a small amount of dark roast.  I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the information, Shawn.  I've never seen a blend of light, medium and dark beans.  By the way, my initial grinder setting for this roast turned out too coarse, and my shot gushed out in 13 seconds.  If I make it I drink it, but I'll set a finer grinder setting today.

60 12,338
 09-13-2022, 04:34 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(09-13-2022, 05:16 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 01:15 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I'm dialing in a new espresso bean in my grinder today.   These beans are straight from Bronx's Little Italy in New York City.  It's called the Zoo Blend in reference to the Bronx Zoo.  This blend is 50% dark roast beans and 50% medium roast beans.

I've had some pretty interesting espresso from blends like that Ricardo.  We have a grocery store similiar to Whole Foods (but cheaper) that roasts their own coffee, they do a mix of light, medium, and a small amount of dark roast.  I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the information, Shawn.  I've never seen a blend of light, medium and dark beans.  By the way, my initial grinder setting for this roast turned out too coarse, and my shot gushed out in 13 seconds.  If I make it I drink it, but I'll set a finer grinder setting today.

You are hard core!  13 seconds, it must have been bitter and acidic.  Or sour instead of bitter, I tend to get the two confused.

The roast I'm taking about didn't have a lot of dark beans and they weren't dark by Starbucks standards.  It had just enough dark beans to give it a little dark chocolate flavor with out being burned.  

I hope todays shot was in the neighborhood of 25-30 seconds.

14 2,584
 09-13-2022, 05:44 PM
User Info
(09-13-2022, 04:34 PM)Sully Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 05:16 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 02:06 AM)Sully Wrote: I've had some pretty interesting espresso from blends like that Ricardo.  We have a grocery store similiar to Whole Foods (but cheaper) that roasts their own coffee, they do a mix of light, medium, and a small amount of dark roast.  I hope you enjoy it!

You are hard core!  13 seconds, it must have been bitter and acidic.  Or sour instead of bitter, I tend to get the two confused.

The roast I'm taking about didn't have a lot of dark beans and they weren't dark by Starbucks standards.  It had just enough dark beans to give it a little dark chocolate flavor with out being burned.  

Shawn, today's shot was 20 seconds, so I'm not quite at 25-30 seconds.  I'll go finer again tomorrrow and should be all set. Three shots to dial in a new roast is not unusual for me.

60 12,338
 09-14-2022, 01:26 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(09-13-2022, 05:44 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 04:34 PM)Sully Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 05:16 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thanks for the information, Shawn.  I've never seen a blend of light, medium and dark beans.  By the way, my initial grinder setting for this roast turned out too coarse, and my shot gushed out in 13 seconds.  If I make it I drink it, but I'll set a finer grinder setting today.

Shawn, today's shot was 20 seconds, so I'm not quite at 25-30 seconds.  I'll go finer again tomorrrow and should be all set. Three shots to dial in a new roast is not unusual for me.
I think being able to dial in with three shots is pretty good, especially with beans you haven't used before.  I tend to not be aggressive enough with changing grind settings when I'm dialing in new beans.

14 2,584
 09-14-2022, 06:49 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info

I'm thinking this will be a fun blend.  The Tiger Stripe espresso blend we use in the cafe' is a light/medium blend.  Our decaf espresso is roasted a shade darker.  I often do a 50/50 blend for my afternoon drink
  Not for the lower caffeine content, but for the flavor profile I get from it.  It's intriguing.  The blend in your pic looks pretty much like what I put together.   I look forward to your thoughts in your new mix.

0 923
 09-14-2022, 11:39 AM
  • Bax
User Info
You guys sure are fancy.  I heat up about 4 cups of water to boiling in my old tin coffee pot (like in a cowboy movie), toss in some ground coffee (1/8c per mug) and bring it to a boil, then immediately move it to a back burner to simmer for 5 minutes.  Then I pour in about 1/4c of cold water and let it sit for a minute (to make the ground sink), then pour and serve.  There's only a little bit of ground chewy stuff in the bottom of the cup, so I don't drink the last swallow.  That's all I know about coffee, but it's been working for years!  I never really experimented with different KINDS of coffee.  This thread is making me think I need to re-examine my coffee routine! 
  :-)
- Bax

0 532
 09-14-2022, 01:52 PM
User Info
(09-14-2022, 06:49 AM)2Chops Wrote:

I'm thinking this will be a fun blend.  The Tiger Stripe espresso blend we use in the cafe' is a light/medium blend.  Our decaf espresso is roasted a shade darker.  I often do a 50/50 blend for my afternoon drink
  Not for the lower caffeine content, but for the flavor profile I get from it.  It's intriguing.  The blend in your pic looks pretty much like what I put together.   I look forward to your thoughts in your new mix.

Ron, thanks for your insight.  You're a barista, so your thoughts are always interesting.

By the way, I dialed in the grind on these new beans on the third attempt.  25 second shot.

60 12,338
 09-14-2022, 01:54 PM
User Info
(09-14-2022, 11:39 AM)Bax Wrote: You guys sure are fancy.  I heat up about 4 cups of water to boiling in my old tin coffee pot (like in a cowboy movie), toss in some ground coffee (1/8c per mug) and bring it to a boil, then immediately move it to a back burner to simmer for 5 minutes.  Then I pour in about 1/4c of cold water and let it sit for a minute (to make the ground sink), then pour and serve.  There's only a little bit of ground chewy stuff in the bottom of the cup, so I don't drink the last swallow.  That's all I know about coffee, but it's been working for years!  I never really experimented with different KINDS of coffee.  This thread is making me think I need to re-examine my coffee routine! 
- Bax

Bax, some of us are expresso hobbyists.  If you enjoy coffee the way you make it, that's all that matters.

60 12,338
 09-14-2022, 02:39 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(09-14-2022, 11:39 AM)Bax Wrote: You guys sure are fancy.  I heat up about 4 cups of water to boiling in my old tin coffee pot (like in a cowboy movie), toss in some ground coffee (1/8c per mug) and bring it to a boil, then immediately move it to a back burner to simmer for 5 minutes.  Then I pour in about 1/4c of cold water and let it sit for a minute (to make the ground sink), then pour and serve.  There's only a little bit of ground chewy stuff in the bottom of the cup, so I don't drink the last swallow.  That's all I know about coffee, but it's been working for years!  I never really experimented with different KINDS of coffee.  This thread is making me think I need to re-examine my coffee routine! 
- Bax

(09-14-2022, 01:54 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
- Bax

Bax, some of us are expresso hobbyists.  If you enjoy coffee the way you make it, that's all that matters.

I agree with Ricardo.  If you like your coffee, keep making it the way you like it.  Expresso can be a very expensive hobby.

14 2,584
 09-14-2022, 07:05 PM
  • Bax
User Info
(09-14-2022, 01:54 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
- Bax

I want to play!
But I'm currently too ignorant. 
So I'll just watch you guys discuss it for a while, and maybe I'll learn stuff.
I like learning new stuff!
- Bax

0 532