12-18-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
Shannon's Soaps became a TSN member on June 23, 2014.  On August 30, 2014, Richard (evnpar) started a thread on Shannon's and his good review of the soap started a long thread with many positive comments from TSN members.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...hannon%27s

Shannon's has come a long way since Richard's thread.  At the time, Shannon's offered four scents.  Today, they offer 14 scents, plus unscented.  Other personal care items have also been added.  And, perhaps of most interest to us, Shannon's just introduced a new  premium, more luxurious shaving line called Rust Belt Reserve.  The first two products in this new line are the Forest City Fern Shaving Soap and Forest City Fern After Shave Splash.  With all these positive changes at Shannon's, I thought it was time to revisit this TSN artisan and start a new thread.

I currently have three Shannon's Soaps in my rotation:

- Valley Parkway (rosewood, lavender and vetiver).

- Woodlands (vetiver, cedarwood and patchouli).

- Forest City Fern (fougere).

[Image: 61EIh51.jpg]

I have always found the performance of Shannon's Soaps to be excellent.  The performance of these soaps was covered well in Richard's 2014 thread, and that aspect of the soaps remains excellent.  However, where Shannon's has grown is in the scent category.  Valley Parkway and Woodlands are good illustrations of the craft of blending scents.

I like an all vetiver soap, like Mike's.  However, I can understand why some may not like a solitary note vetiver soap.  In my mind, vetiver really shines when skillfully blended with other scents.  In such blends, vetiver can balance the scent profile.  Sometimes, for example, an all lavender soap may be more floral than I prefer.  However, in Valley Parkway, the vetiver tones down the lavender in a pleasant way. The floral aspect is still clearly there, but it's softer and more subtle.  If you want to get away from a floral soap,  the balance of the vetiver with cedarwood and patchouli in Woodlands results in a very nice scent which is not as woody, smoky and earthy as an all vetiver soap.

Forest City Fern is Shannon's take on a traditional fougere.  Fougere is the French word for fern, which I assume is the basis for the name of this new soap   According to Brian at Shannon's, this soap was developed after customer feedback requesting more sophisticated, complex scents.  This soap took months to develop and represents Shannon's most complex scent profile to date.

A fougere is an inherently complex scent combination.  While a fougere typically includes lavender, coumarin and oakmoss, numerous other scents are added.  In the case of Shannon's Fern, twelve fragrances are blended.  The result is a truly lovely scent which is not overpowering or overly floral. I think Shannon's has hit the sweet spot with the scent strength of Fern. The scent is moderately assertive, without smelling like a bottle of EdT.

Shannon's plans on expanding the Rust Belt Reserve line with other premium, complex scents.  Based on how excellent Fern is, I think we have much to look forward to from Shannon's.

What Shannon's Soaps have you tried and what have been your experiences with them?

50 6,097
 12-19-2016, 12:47 AM
User Info
My only soap from Shannon is Woodlands. Great soap, great scent!

0 89
 12-19-2016, 02:51 AM
User Info
Definitely interested in trying the new premium line, tried samples of the normal like and find it pretty good. Will be following this thread closely as well as read the entire of the other Shannon's Soap thread.

0 176
 12-19-2016, 07:49 AM
User Info
I have Forest City Fern and Lavender Lemongrass.  Have only used the Forest City Fern so far...top-notch performance and a wonderful scent.

1 201
 12-19-2016, 07:56 AM
User Info
I recently purchased Woodlands and it's one of my favorite soaps. I also have Silk Pajamas and really love that one as well. Good to hear your thoughts on Forest City Fern as well as I've been wanting to pick up a Fougere or two and FCF is one of the ones I was looking at.

3 920
 12-19-2016, 07:54 PM
User Info
A wonderful soap with some of the best lather I have tried. Thumbsup

83 21,077
 12-20-2016, 09:46 AM
User Info
(12-19-2016, 07:54 PM)celestino Wrote: A wonderful soap with some of the best lather I have tried. Thumbsup

Agreed, it lathers very well and great post shave as well. I love Artisans that have very well blended scents and I would put Shannon Soaps right up there with my favorites CRSW, Sapone e Di Paolo & Mystic Water

3 920
 01-23-2017, 06:20 PM
User Info
Silk Pajamas is on deck for tomorrow. Its been a year or so since last using it and had forgot how great the scent is.

6 52
 01-23-2017, 06:39 PM
User Info
(01-23-2017, 06:20 PM)Fireman Wrote: Silk Pajamas is on deck for tomorrow.  Its been a year or so since last using it and had forgot how great the scent is.

I haven't tried Silk Pajamas.  Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

50 6,097
 01-24-2017, 07:39 AM
User Info
I had my first shave with the Forest City Fern this morning and it was amazing.  In the past I have always been a big fan of SS but I never really warmed up to some of the fragrance selections with the exception of Silk Pajamas and Bay Patchouli Grapefruit.  

The performance of SS has never been in question.  Amazing lather, slickness, and the post shave feel is among the best out there.  But the Forest City Fern is a home run in the scent department.  Looking forward to more offerings in the Rust Belt Reserve Line.

Happy to have Shannon's Soap back in the rotation : )

6 224
 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM
User Info
Definitely an underrated soap.  I have Lady Luck, Barbershop, and Forest City Fern.  Lady Luck is probably my favorite.  Smooth and well blended almost sensual scent.  Good stuff.

0 36
 01-24-2017, 11:26 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I read great things about this soap. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to try it. But, it was on my to-try list for some time.

49 1,999
 02-01-2017, 10:41 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I have to say that over these last 8 months the quality of soaps that I've purchased are just wonderful. If it wasn't for this thread I would not have picked a tub of Shannon's soap, The Rust Belt Reserve, Forest City Fern. It is an excellent, excellent soap,

51 437
 02-02-2017, 08:29 AM
User Info
(02-01-2017, 10:41 AM)bijou Wrote: I have to say that over these last 8 months the quality of soaps that I've purchased are just wonderful. If it wasn't for this thread I would not have picked a tub of Shannon's soap, The Rust Belt Reserve, Forest City Fern. It is an excellent, excellent soap,

I shaved with Forest City Fern again this morning.  IMHO the post shave feel is unparalleled. I am sure there are many products with similar post shave properties, but for my skin type (sensitive) I haven't found anything better than Shannon's

6 224
 02-02-2017, 08:43 AM
User Info
Ordered some Shannons Barbershop, should be here tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.

13 495