12-18-2016, 12:39 PM
User Info
My nephew is 6 going on 7. His father is worthless. He struggles with what it means to "be a boy" and often times has issues with the other boys at school. He just started Cub Scouts and we were talking at the thanskgiving dinner table an my sister in laws and wife were poking fun at me whittling as a boy scout as a kid.
As a special little gift for him ( he is my god son so I can justify it that way ) I would like to get him a little pocket knife. Looking for suggestions on a good first little pocket knife that he will probably lose at some point but that will hopefully help him enjoy something decidedly masculine... blades.
Any ideas?

86 889
 12-18-2016, 01:10 PM
  • minimalist
  • Florida / North Carolina
User Info
Why not a vintage Cub Scout / Boy Scout knife? Of course you'll want to do a knife safety class of such with him.

19 767
 12-18-2016, 01:13 PM
User Info
Between you and me, I think a folding knife is inviting trouble - even if you get one with a blade lock, most folding knifes lack a finger guard and the hinge is a built in weak point (even more so on small cheap ones).

In my not at all humble opinion a proper, affordable, sensible and dependable knife would be something like the Mora Scout 39, the Scout 39 Safe (rounded tip), or the Woodcarving Junior. Those would be just the knife for a young boy to learn whittling with - and ranging between 20 and 40 USD online they are not at all expensive for what you get (and I say that as a Norwegian, even if Mora are Swedish *shudder*).

Mora also makes good affordable knifes for adult hands - such as the Basic 511 and 546 - so you could get one for yourself to show him how it's done properly.

As a side note; "my" Mora Scout was a hand-me-down from my brother, and is now on it's third handle - I whittled new ones for the blade as my hand grew larger Biggrin

3 4,078
 12-18-2016, 01:20 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
a single blade by Case or Hen & Rooster, or Wenger Swiss Army.

Wegian is right....gotta be careful.  But I had my first knife at that time and I was fine because I had a great dad and grandfather.  If the boy has you for guidance, he should be fine.

149 1,218
 12-18-2016, 01:34 PM
User Info
My eight-year-old is a Bear Scout, and this year he got his "Whittling Chip" for having completed the knife safety part of the Bear agenda (I don't think it's part of Wolf or younger levels).
I gave him one of my pocketknives, a Swiss Army knockoff.

8 851
 12-18-2016, 01:39 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Victorinox would be my recommendation. I have a small collection of them of all sizes. Great tools.

49 1,882
 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM
User Info
As an old country boy I can tell you all about the pocket knife. On the farm they are not only essential as a valuable tool but as a valuable lesson of life. You have to care for a knife, it will do the job as well as you take care of it. Use of the tool requires sharpening, oiling and cleaning. I hear your concerns about safety but here is another value to learn about life. You are responsible for your own safety not anyone else. Even a regular folder will not hurt you unless you make a "bad" decision which involves consequences. Growing up, I seem to have a Barlow type knife which could be had at the feed or hardware store. Now a days I run a Case, made in Bradford Pennsylvania, folder, old school, like gramps. If you want a good day trip with him, a trip to Bradford to the Case knife and Zippo lighter museum would be very well worth it.

9 63
 12-18-2016, 01:57 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(12-18-2016, 01:50 PM)LstSpirit Wrote: As an old country boy I can tell you all about the pocket knife. On the farm they are not only essential as a valuable tool but as a valuable lesson of life. You have to care for a knife, it will do the job as well as you take care of it. Use of the tool requires sharpening, oiling and cleaning. I hear your concerns about safety but here is another value to learn about life. You are responsible for your own safety not anyone else. Even a regular folder will not hurt you unless you make a "bad" decision which involves consequences. Growing up, I seem to have a Barlow type knife which could be had at the feed or hardware store. Now a days I run a Case, made in Bradford Pennsylvania, folder, old school, like gramps. If you want a good day trip with him, a trip to Bradford to the Case knife and Zippo lighter museum would be very well worth it.

Words of wisdom. Great post.

149 1,218
 12-18-2016, 02:45 PM
User Info
(12-18-2016, 01:57 PM)Steelman Wrote:
(12-18-2016, 01:50 PM)LstSpirit Wrote: As an old country boy I can tell you all about the pocket knife. On the farm they are not only essential as a valuable tool but as a valuable lesson of life. You have to care for a knife, it will do the job as well as you take care of it. Use of the tool requires sharpening, oiling and cleaning. I hear your concerns about safety but here is another value to learn about life. You are responsible for your own safety not anyone else. Even a regular folder will not hurt you unless you make a "bad" decision which involves consequences. Growing up, I seem to have a Barlow type knife which could be had at the feed or hardware store. Now a days I run a Case, made in Bradford Pennsylvania, folder, old school, like gramps. If you want a good day trip with him, a trip to Bradford to the Case knife and Zippo lighter museum would be very well worth it.

Words of wisdom. Great post.

I had my old Scout material from 30 years ago that I will sit down and make him learn along with my father in law. Together we will show him what it really means to be " a man". Pride and care for your items no matter if they were spendy or less expensive, pride in your proper handling of your tools to ensure your safety and the safety of everyone around you, and most of all the joy of using your hands to make something.... even if all it is is a pointy stick?

Honestly I think he is going to struggle with these issues his entire life and I do not want to be his father. But i lost my father at young age. We were close. I was devastated. I know what it is like to then have no other male that had been in your life to step up and try to at least...well it doesn't matter.
All good suggestions and I appreciate the advice.

86 889
 12-18-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
My first knife was a locking spine Gerber, nothing fancy but my Dad sat down next to me and taught me knife safety and how to whittle with it, and it is one of my favorite memories of growing up. I was 7 at the time and it made me feel big, my mother was mortified at first but of course that passes. I now carry a pocket knife daily and couldn't count the number of times it has proved to be an invaluable accessory. I would stay away from liner locks for a first knife, i have seen adults almost pinch their finger between the blade and grip of mine. 

I have never liked Victorinox or other "Swiss Army" style knives, I find many of their attachments to be flimsy/useless and dislike that many do not have a blade lock. 

http://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Folding...nife_46050

The knife above is very similar to the first knife I had, it may very well be the same one. my only gripe nowadays with it would be the lack of a pocket clip.

0 81
 12-18-2016, 05:52 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Mine was an old 3 blade Schrade Walden, still have my first scar from it, and highly recommend it.

143 1,978
 12-19-2016, 06:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My first pocket knife was a Case XX Mini Trapper.  I still carry one to this day.

[Image: PdGbNtA.jpg]

174 23,733
 12-19-2016, 07:21 AM
User Info
(12-18-2016, 01:39 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Victorinox would be my recommendation. I have a small collection of them of all sizes. Great tools.

This would my recommendation to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 682
 12-19-2016, 08:01 AM
User Info
I've given both of my boys Victorinox Swiss Army knives. I started with a single blade and gave them safety instructions. They also received a warning that if they cut themselves; they would place the knife in my care until they had healed, usually a week. I picked up a singe blade Ducks Unlimited from ebay a few years back made by Imperial that work out really nice and inexpensive $10 or less. Case also makes a great first knives. I'd stay away from serrated, but that just me.

[Image: shlzMWO.jpg]

[Image: ZqtsDiF.jpg]

0 594
 12-19-2016, 12:20 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I don't remember having a pocket knife until I was probably 11, but I still have my first, a Schrade Walden boy scout style knife (2 blade, can opener, awl), which must be 60 years old. I also have a Barlow Imperial Ireland, which may have been my second. I don't remember ever cutting myself on either, but the blades were pretty dull and my parents had no desire to help me sharpen them.

1 213
 12-19-2016, 01:33 PM
User Info
I wish I still had the Cub Scouts jackknife that I had as a boy. I would have given it to my son.

8 851
 12-29-2016, 09:26 PM
User Info
I like the knife that GreeneMD chose - the red Swiss Army Knife.

0 346
 12-30-2016, 07:11 AM
User Info
in the 50 when I grew up a nice little case; now maybe a 6-7 inch benchmade Persian auto.  times are changing.

69 1,197
 12-31-2016, 01:05 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
For all purpose I suggest a Schrade Old Timer. I gave one to my son at 7 and he still has and maintains it at 10 in Scouts. He recently uses it to whittle a heart from pine for his Mom...he's also used it to gut fish and poke holes for leather boots he made. I paid $40, but they can be found for around $20 @ Walmart and such.

My Old Timer is worn and probably ready for retirement, but it's still going even with the nubs that remain of the blades.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

70 1,434
 12-31-2016, 04:04 AM
User Info
Opinel

1 97