01-04-2017, 07:24 AM
User Info
Good morning, Gentlemen. Some of you might have wondered why we've been listing a larger number of special order cancellations recently. The reason is simple. While over 95% of those who've ordered M&F brushes have been thrilled to respond to our invoices almost before we've sent them, a small percentage have either not responded or, if they have responded (e.g. asked for photography, promised to pay by a certain date, etc.), have gone silent despite repeated attempts to contact them.

This presents at least a twofold problem: first, most of these folks have ordered multiple, expensive brushes that not only tie up our time and capital but, perhaps more importantly, take that time and those resources away from those of you who really want--and are willing to wait for--our brushes.

Saying that, we fully understand that situations sometimes change--and we're more than happy to work with folks when that happens--as long as they talk to us!

The bottom line is that we have begun canceling orders from those who have not paid for their brushes after the original invoice, reminders and a 48-hour notice of cancellation.  The affected brushes are first matched to our open order list and offered to folks whose orders match--or come reasonably close to matching--the now available brushes. Brushes that do not match any open orders are being offered in the ReadyMade section of our website.

We realize that the lead times on our M&F brushes can be three-to-(now) five months and three to four weeks on our Manchurians; so we cannot, in good conscience, ask for payments in advance. However, anyone who has had an order cancelled for non-responsiveness/non-payment, will be asked to make a non-refundable deposit before we will accept a new order or continue to hold any existing orders they might have placed.

We're sorry it's come to this, but we've concluded that it's the best way to be fair to the vast majority of our patrons who've given us such enthusiastic support, for which we are truly grateful.

2 527
 01-04-2017, 08:35 AM
User Info
(01-03-2017, 09:55 AM)Sskim3 Wrote: Looks great!  It looks like mine will be coming late January now.  Patience is a virtue, right? Smile

Yes it is.

9 1,444
 01-04-2017, 11:53 AM
User Info
Too bad the unresponsive people couldn't have all been in the shipment that is lost/being held up.  Only joking!  I am one of the lucky ones that has a handle MIA.

0 15
 01-08-2017, 07:14 AM
User Info
Good morning, Gentlemen.  We wanted to give you a "heads-up" that we will be posting four cancelled brushes--a 2-resin M&F 3XL Finest and three BSSW 28mm Archduke Manchurians) in the ReadyMade section of our website  at 2:00PM ET this afternoon, Sunday, January 8.

3XL
[Image: neU6jok.jpg]

Archduke/28 - We have three of these.
[Image: lFpT6PH.jpg]

Thanks for looking!

2 527
 01-08-2017, 10:31 AM
User Info
butterscotch looks like a housemaid with a frilly apron

59 1,015
 01-08-2017, 11:03 AM
User Info
(01-08-2017, 10:31 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: butterscotch looks like a housemaid with a frilly apron

Ha-ha!

2 527
 01-08-2017, 11:04 AM
User Info
Good afternoon, gentlemen. 

On a more serious note, recent events have caused us to re-think our position regarding the taking of deposits. As a result, we are now asking for a $50.00/brush deposit on orders going forward.

The way the process works is that we will send a PayPal invoice for the full amount and ask the buyer to pay the deposit within seven days to secure the order. When the order is ready to ship, we'll send a notification asking folks to pay the balance due.

At the same time, this process allows folks the option of making periodic payments, if they so choose. (Certainly not required, but we've had some people ask for this option.)

We're doing this for several reasons: (1) First of all, it's a fairness issue: making custom brushes for non-serious buyers increases the lead time for folks who really want their brushes, (2) it unnecessarily depletes our rod inventory (case in point: we've made at least four brushes in resins that our supplier cannot replace until mid-late February--again, causing serious patrons to wait unnecessarily!), (3) it takes up considerable "admin" time just to keep up with (and not mess up) the amount of recordkeeping required, and (4) there's a financial impact to our business caused by having to purchase more material than necessary.

Finally, because we've been experiencing a large number of cancellations; so we are also implementing a $25.00 cancellation fee in order to cover that admin time.

We've resisted taking these steps, but with the volume of orders we're experiencing, we really don't have a lot of choice.

Thank you for your understanding!

2 527
 01-08-2017, 12:54 PM
User Info
(01-08-2017, 11:03 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 10:31 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: butterscotch looks like a housemaid with a frilly apron

Ha-ha!

I notice the "housemaid" sold quickly.   Smile

17 89
 01-08-2017, 01:06 PM
User Info
she will be upstairs work for sure.

59 1,015
 01-08-2017, 01:13 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
You are making a wise decision that is best for your business, I congratulate you. I would hate to see a craftsman such as youself financially hurt or worse go out of business because your working capltal is tied up in cancelled custom orders, which becomes specialized inventory. This kind of inventory at times makes it hard to recoup much needed working capital. 

Again, very wise decision. All the best.

41 285
 01-08-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
Here we have guys that order an S-load of brushes then don't respond. Here I am the compliant sap who's single brush ordered from the get go gets stuck in customs only to be told that it might take possibly until April before I can make payment on a replacement. Of course I politely said I would wait, I want the brush. Here I am the nice guy and I get sent to the back of the bus. What a bunch of S. My nice only goes so far. Yes, I'm pissed. If you order several brushes, F'n buy them! You've got people behind you waiting for theirs. I hope I didn't get pushed back from day one because daddy war bucks ordered ten brushes after my one then opts out with silence. Tell me that isn't so. Let Brad know your not going to be able to cover instead of radio silence BS. I've got money burning a hole in my pocket Brad. It's up to you how quick you want it. My rant is over. No radio silence from me.

~Royce

2 330
 01-08-2017, 05:19 PM
User Info
I must admit when I ordered, I was in a better financial situation than I was when my name is called; I was surprised and a bit unprepared. However, I know I had to keep my word and go through the deal because this is exactly what I was afraid that would happen to them, for them to be stuck with a couple of my orders and for them to lose out. 

I am happy I was able to keep my word, I am sure there are various reasons for the cancellation from others, but I hope it is valid and they did take into consideration that they are dealing with artisans here, not big corporations.

Best of luck, and I hope to be able to order again in the future.

8 969
 01-09-2017, 03:58 AM
User Info
Good morning, Men.  

First of all, know that Nancy and I very much appreciate your support.  Yes, there have been stumbling blocks; but we view them as "heat & kitchen" issues--problems that come along that need to be dealt with.  That we are doing--and (hopefully!) learning as we go along.  Just know that we're doing our best to deliver the highest quality brushes we can in the shortest time practical--and I'm sorry if we've caught folks unaware.  To that point, if/when we do catch you unaware, just let us know.  As I've said previously, we're more than happy to work with folks who're in tight positions financially.  That's not a problem.  We've been there and there should be no embarrassment in that regard.  We just want to treat everyone the same way we would like to be treated, but as Royce said so succinctly, we can't have one-way conversations.

On the good news side, it looks like we were finally able to locate the missing shipment and are told it's on its way back to us!  We don't yet know when it'll be back, but we're checking daily and will get it turned around and sent back to the U.K. via a different carrier who's promised to "grease the skids" as it were.  More on that as things progress.

Next, the volume of orders has, as hoped/expected, slowed to a manageable volume.  Our goal now is to get through the complete backlog over the next couple months so that Lee can finish the brushes post-haste, which he is committed to doing.  (And I will say that Lee's been super throughout the entire effort!)

Now our goal, once things have settled down is, as I think I mentioned earlier, to introduce (re-introduce?) some more of the classic M&F handles and possibly begin looking at other options.  We see some pretty neat things to come!

Have a great day, Gentlemen!

2 527
 01-09-2017, 12:35 PM
User Info
Thanks for the update, Brad.  No doubt it's been challenging to deal with the pent-up demand among brush aficionados for whom an M&F is a prize.  The brushes you have shown and ones that early recipients have posted have look absolutely top notch.

I for one was very surprised that you'd take specific custom orders without deposits just for the reason of working capital and inventory management alone.  Definitely not cool that some made orders for several brushes then didn't step up.  I hope the new process smooths things out on your end.

10 797
 01-09-2017, 09:19 PM
User Info
Cool heads prevail. Your a good man Brad, you and your team mate. It's not hard to assume that you both have a lot on your plate. Keep up the good work. Thanks for the update.

~Royce

2 330
 01-10-2017, 06:06 AM
User Info
(01-08-2017, 05:19 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I must admit when I ordered, I was in a better financial situation than I was when my name is called; I was surprised and a bit unprepared. However, I know I had to keep my word and go through the deal because this is exactly what I was afraid that would happen to them, for them to be stuck with a couple of my orders and for them to lose out. 

I am happy I was able to keep my word, I am sure there are various reasons for the cancellation from others, but I hope it is valid and they did take into consideration that they are dealing with artisans here, not big corporations.

Best of luck, and I hope to be able to order again in the future.

Thank you all for your support.  It's very much appreciated!!!  Biggrin

Along Jay's point, one "benefit" (if you will) to our new policy is that you now have the option to make periodic payments, if you want.  That way, you don't get stuck with being asked to pay the entire amount at the end.  It's up to you, but we thought we'd mention it because, let's face it:  these brushes ain't cheap.

If you want to go that route, just send Nancy an email through our Contact Form and she'll set it up.

Have a great day, Gentlemen!

2 527