12-20-2016, 05:46 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I received this soap recently when I acquired two of the SV 2.0 brushes.

My first impressions of this soap having used it just once are EXCELLENT, much better than my first impressions of the Mike's unscented I also recently received and used last night (as for Mike's: nice looking lather and a very comfortable shave with Mike's but surprisingly lacking in protection and/or slickness, as I had nicks all over the place like I've not seen in a couple years, like I used a serrated blade or something. Very surprised by this, as I was really expecting to get exceptional results with Mike's... but at least there was no lanolin itch like I WAS expecting).

Back to SV: The SV gives my Valobra a run for its money. Maybe SLIGHTLY less impressive than the Valobra in the "post-shave feel" department but all other aspects of performance were nearly identical (perfect). As well, the cypress dominant scent is a nice change of pace and definitely good for the season.

Has anyone else tried this soap yet? You should.

57 2,561
 12-20-2016, 05:54 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I'll add, this is by far the best SV release I've used (others being: felce aromatica, dolomiti, manna, and 70th anniversary)

57 2,561
 12-20-2016, 06:16 AM
User Info
I concur with your assessment . I reviewed the soap after it's released and I am happy with its performance.

You should get after shave as well. It's amazing stuff !!
[Image: 2c8ed589437dc9cee0edeafaddcb46f3.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 12-20-2016, 07:35 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Nice photo, this soap deserves a beautiful custom bowl such as that. Sorry I missed your review previously.

57 2,561
 12-20-2016, 08:12 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
It is on my list to buy on the first post xmas sale.

68 1,047
 12-20-2016, 08:57 AM
User Info
I'm buying it with the ash wood bowl soon.

24 5,856
 12-20-2016, 01:08 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-20-2016, 08:12 AM)Barrylu Wrote: It is on my list to buy on the first post xmas sale.

Nice Barry, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

57 2,561
 12-20-2016, 01:09 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-20-2016, 08:57 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm buying it with the ash wood bowl soon.

Claus, I might add one of their bowls too. I do already have their circular wood bowls from a year or two ago so I may just end up putting this soap in that. I do like these new square bowls better though, I have to admit!!

57 2,561
 12-20-2016, 03:20 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-20-2016, 06:16 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: I concur with your assessment . I reviewed the soap after it's released and I am happy with its performance.

I was looking for it just now but I can't seem to find your review.

57 2,561
 12-20-2016, 03:21 PM
User Info
(12-20-2016, 03:20 PM)Nero Wrote:
(12-20-2016, 06:16 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: I concur with your assessment . I reviewed the soap after it's released and I am happy with its performance.

I was looking for it just now but I can't seem to find your review.

Under "vendor news" SV initial announcement of the release

61 3,072
 12-20-2016, 03:57 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Ahh yes, thank you!

57 2,561
 12-20-2016, 04:18 PM
User Info
(12-20-2016, 05:46 AM)Nero Wrote: I received this soap recently when I acquired two of the SV 2.0 brushes.

My first impressions of this soap having used it just once are EXCELLENT.

Back to SV: The SV gives my Valobra a run for its money. Maybe SLIGHTLY less impressive than the Valobra in the "post-shave feel" department but all other aspects of performance were nearly identical (perfect). As well, the cypress dominant scent is a nice change of pace and definitely good for the season.

Has anyone else tried this soap yet? You should.

Agree with your assessment. SV soaps in 4.1 (Tundra Artica) or 4.2 (Cosmo and Stella Alpina) bases are getting really close to all the Valobra made soaps I have (ie including AoS Tallows and C&S) both in terms of performance and post-Shave feel. I think Stella Alpina is their best scent so far (my second one being Tundra Artica). [Image: 721f8c74a663c7cabed9cb07c4e70d03.jpg]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

13 89
 12-21-2016, 04:24 PM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
For me, nothing beats the scent of the 70th Anniversary soap. All of them are stellar, but that 70th Anniversary is a notch above IMHO

47 470
 12-21-2016, 04:52 PM
User Info
Just in my experience, Valobra and Mike's are both in another league over SV Biggrin. SV lathered very easily, but slickness and cushion were lacking, and I did not love the scent of the Fougere (I am not a huge fan of Fougere's in general). I wonder if your impression of Mike's will change over time? It is a very thirsty soap, so make sure you keep hydrating even after the lather looks ready. I wonder if the SV that I tried was an older revision, since they seem to come out with new formulations fairly frequently..

38 1,159
 12-21-2016, 06:05 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-21-2016, 04:52 PM)shevek Wrote: Just in my experience, Valobra and Mike's are both in another league over SV Biggrin. SV lathered very easily, but slickness and cushion were lacking, and I did not love the scent of the Fougere (I am not a huge fan of Fougere's in general). I wonder if your impression of Mike's will change over time? It is a very thirsty soap, so make sure you keep hydrating even after the lather looks ready. I wonder if the SV that I tried was an older revision, since they seem to come out with new formulations fairly frequently..

I think I will give Mike's one more try. But I will say absolutely honestly and I'm always in search of the truth about products and I have absolutely no reason or desire to hate on any product or brand just by default (each earns what they get from me, positive or negative), from the first shave with Mike's Unscented I found nothing spectacular about the post-shave (in fact I stung/burned for at least an hour or two after the shave), and I also do not enjoy this (slight) waxy film that is on my face still 48 hours after I used it... I am quite sure that's the lanolin; possibly the clay but I don't think so. That all said, if/when I use it again it will be with an open mind and hoping for the best, just like this first time. To answer your curiosity, I loaded a LOT of water, just like I would with Valobra/AoS/C&S.

I do agree that the first SV's were probably a bit over played. I found them drying in the post-shave, although they did I give a pretty smooth and comfortable shave.

There is a BIIIIG difference to me between this new 4.2 Stella Alpina soap vs the 4.0 Felce/Dolomiti.
Beta 4.2 should really be 5.0, if you ask me. Totally different from 4.0. Just IMO of course.

Like I said in the OP, if you haven't tried it, you really should. This soap beat my expectations. (Mike's underdelivered on my expectations (and plainly, it was not a good result, but I wish this wasn't the case because I like the naturalness the ingredients list).)

57 2,561
 12-21-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
(12-21-2016, 06:05 PM)Nero Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 04:52 PM)shevek Wrote: Just in my experience, Valobra and Mike's are both in another league over SV Biggrin. SV lathered very easily, but slickness and cushion were lacking, and I did not love the scent of the Fougere (I am not a huge fan of Fougere's in general). I wonder if your impression of Mike's will change over time? It is a very thirsty soap, so make sure you keep hydrating even after the lather looks ready. I wonder if the SV that I tried was an older revision, since they seem to come out with new formulations fairly frequently..

I do agree that the first SV's were probably a bit over played. I found them drying in the post-shave, although they did I give a pretty smooth and comfortable shave.

There is a BIIIIG difference to me between this new 4.2 Stella Alpina soap vs the 4.0 Felce/Dolomiti.
Beta 4.2 should really be 5.0, if you ask me. Totally different from 4.0. Just IMO of course.

Agreed 100% with above about SV Stella.Even thou Stella is 4.2 , I consider an upgrade to 4.5 or 5.
It's a "gem" and I love the scent.
I appreciate the artisan work so hard to improve the quality of the product. I actually enjoy quarterly releases as they always bring new ingredients to the market .

61 3,072
 12-21-2016, 06:51 PM
User Info

I think I will give Mike's one more try. But I will say absolutely honestly and I'm always in search of the truth about products and I have absolutely no reason or desire to hate on any product or brand just by default (each earns what they get from me, positive or negative), from the first shave with Mike's Unscented I found nothing spectacular about the post-shave (in fact I stung/burned for at least an hour or two after the shave), and I also do not enjoy this (slight) waxy film that is on my face still 48 hours after I used it... I am quite sure that's the lanolin; possibly the clay but I don't think so. That all said, if/when I use it again it will be with an open mind and hoping for the best, just like this first time. To answer your curiosity, I loaded a LOT of water, just like I would with Valobra/AoS/C&S.

Like I said in the OP, if you haven't tried it, you really should. This soap beat my expectations. (Mike's underdelivered on my expectations (and plainly, it was not a good result, but I wish this wasn't the case because I like the naturalness the ingredients list).)

Good to know, Matt. Perhaps I should revisit SV at some point in 2017. But I'm not a huge fan of companies coming out with new formulations so frequently. Makes the older versions i have spent good money on lose their luster a bit. I feel they should put a few years between these changes, but that's just one opinion. I can understand the other point of view.

Hope Mike's works better for you in the second shave since for me it's one of the best. I agree it is not A+ at post shave like some others, but it is excellent for me in all other categories. Curious to see how it turns out.

38 1,159
 12-21-2016, 07:03 PM
User Info
You do have a point about previous purchases goes obsolete. Same thing happen to me with "thundra" I liked the scent but I haven't touched since I used cosmo and now Stella. I doubt to use thundra again . I was hoping SV will make all new batches of previous scents in 4.2 but that will not happen.

The competition is getting fierce and so many great products out there . the artisans don't want to leave anything on the plate :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 12-21-2016, 07:21 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-21-2016, 06:51 PM)shevek Wrote:

Good to know, Matt. Perhaps I should revisit SV at some point in 2017. But I'm not a huge fan of companies coming out with new formulations so frequently. Makes the older versions i have spent good money on lose their luster a bit. I feel they should put a few years between these changes, but that's just one opinion. I can understand the other point of view.

Hope Mike's works better for you in the second shave since for me it's one of the best. I agree it is not A+ at post shave like some others, but it is excellent for me in all other categories. Curious to see how it turns out.

I made an almost identical comment (about the constant formulation changes) when their Tundra Artica soap came out, but I'm glad they didn't listen to me and made this soap.

To be fair, early on Ale (from SV, maybe right after the Manna release) did definitely say that he will never offer two soaps exactly alike in their ingredients. I appreciate the ingenuity. At the time, I did think it was a blind dart throw, but since every formulation that I have used has been an improvement over previous ones, I think he's proved me/that idea wrong.

[If Mike's ends up working in the second shave (I'm going to wait a bit before attempting), then I do offer an explanation for the first bad shave... Though I shaved at night, that morning I had washed my face pretty vigorously with a face scrub (which I normally don't use) which could have injured the skin and not healed prior to the night's shave, and made me predisposed to cuts/nicks.]

57 2,561
 12-21-2016, 07:46 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I'll add...

It's also my favorite scent of theirs that I've tried. So that in itself is usually enough for most to give it a try. (To me, I'm much more concerned with the performance. Luckily this soap has both.)

57 2,561