12-20-2016, 08:28 PM
  • Mike.CDN
  • Vancouver Island
User Info
Good Day

I have been searching the web and reading up on the Gillette Khaki., seems like there is good information and contradictory information. Having looked at a lot of pictures of Khaki sets I noticed the “Property of US Army” marks don’t seem to have a consistent pattern.

-Some sets have “Property of US Army” on the case, mirror and razor,
-Some sets have “Property of US Army” on the case, mirror but not on razor
-Some sets have “Property of US Army” on razor but not on case and mirror

As in the picture I noticed the “Property of US Army” mark is different on the case and mirror. Some have “Property of US Army” above made in the USA and others have “Property of US Army” in place of made in the USA. On the case with “Property of US Army” above the made in the USA logo the razor is not marked with the Property of US Army engraving.

I guess my question is did Khaki sets originally come with mismatched markings or have the razors been switched over the years.

Also could the case with “Property of US Army” above the made in the USA logo be a change to civilian sets to meet the demands for issue to the army.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

[Image: nWPm5Nt.jpg]

0 19
 12-21-2016, 04:03 AM
User Info
My set - a single snap soft case, razor from mid-1918 according to the serial number - have it barely readable above the Gillette logo, as shown on your second image. No markings on my razor, and the mirror have gone AWOL since the Great War.

[Image: 0002.jpg]
[Image: 0004.jpg]
[Image: 0006.jpg]

3 4,373
 12-26-2016, 08:59 PM
User Info
The original 1919 set looked like this:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old%20T...%20Set.JPG

However, there's at least one really close modern copy being made, and they're available here for reference:
http://www.razoremporium.com/gillette-ww...plica-set/
This link also contains a really useful video on how to distinguish between various replica and genuine military sets. 

Some of the sets were given to servicemen, while others were sponsored by the military but sold to everyday shavers - not unlike souvenirs.

1 35
 01-12-2017, 09:58 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
[Image: 4WWOxb1.jpg]

11 659
 01-12-2017, 10:00 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Above is what mine looks like, but I also have this: