08-10-2012, 05:02 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
As you already know,Im a shavemac brush lover.Bern makes some of the best shaving brushes out there and Im agree that alongside Simpson and Plisson/ Vie Long,makes the best badger shaving brushes out there.

Well,I would like to review shavemac's different badger hair grades and its characteristics.

shavemac D01 silvertip two band badger hair

[Image: P1140577.jpg]

This is shavemac's top of the line badger hair,with the D01 3 band. The D01 two band is one of the best two band badger hairs I have tried (I have tried 2 models,one purchased one which was borrowed by a good friend).

The two band hair has a lot of backbone and the tips could be scritchy when its new,but after uses,they will get much softer.However,be careful with the loft you choose : I know a Spanish friend who got the 22 mm knot and 44 mm loft and it was impossible to break in,so choose a loft over 47 mm,and it will be fine.

This is one of the most perfect brushes if you are looking for a good backbone and kind of scritchy tips.As I said,the tips would get softer with use,but keeping some scritch,something that the most die hard face latherers like a lot.

Its flow is ok : its not a "stick" (unless you choose a loft under 47 mm,in that case would have a "stick" of a brush) but is not as flexible as the 3 band badger hair offer by shavemac,so its better suitable for tripple milled soap than for shaving creams.

A brush perfect for facelathering with hard soaps,and I sometimes wonder how different is this type of badger hair from the Manchurian badger hair offered by Simspon,since they look really similar to each other.

Also,this kind of hair comes on a more fan shaped style,while most of the other shavemac badger hair brushes, comes on a bulb shaped.However,you can customize it and ask Bern to make you a brush with a "extreme flat top",like some of the D01 silvertip 3 band or 2 band.

shavemac D01 silvertip 3 band badger hair

[Image: P1220481.jpg]

[Image: shavemacnuevad01conshav.jpg]

For many shavemac lovers,this kind of badger hair is the Crown jewels,and I do agree with them since,with the finest badger hair,its my favorite type of hair, offered by shavemac.

If you like 3 band badger brushes,and you are looking for flow,a good backbone,and soft tips,this is the hair for you.How is it different to the shavemac's silvertip hair? The D01 silvertip hair has a better backbone,while the regular silvertip has a more noticeable flow.Does it means that the D01 doesnt have a good flow?Not at all,but the regular silvertip could have a soft backbone,while the D01,due to the thickness of the bristles and the densely packed hair knot,has a more firmer backbone.

This is a perfect brush for face lathering and bowl lathering,with both hard soaps and shaving creams.The tips could be a little bit scritchier in the first shaves,but after a week of regular use,would become soft.

It could be a lather hog,due to its hair extreme density,but use more product,and it will be ok,making lather for 5 or 6 razor passes.

Also,this kind of hair comes on a more fan shaped style,while most of the other shavemac badger hair brushes, comes on a bulb shaped.However,you can customize it and ask Bern to make you a brush with a "extreme flat top",like some of the D01 silvertip 3 band or 2 band.

For me is the best shavemac badger hair,the one that pampers you every time you use it and the one you truly enjoy/love to have.

shavemac silvertip badger hair

[Image: P1220548.jpg]

A good example of what a true silvertip badger should be : soft tips,excellent flow,not a very firm backbone and extra white tips.Yes,these are the qualities of this shavemac's silvertip hair.

Is not as densely packed as the D01 silvertip,but thats not a problem at all,since this brush beats the D01 silvertip, being faster making/producing shaving lather.

The brush is also useful for face and bowl lathering,but better suitable for shaving creams than for triple milled shaving soaps,but you can use it with hard soaps too (be patience with loading the brush with soap,though).

Many of these brushes are offered with a bulb shaped form,so if you like to make lather on the face with painting strokes,any of the shavemac bulb shaped brushes would do that job perfectly fine.

Also is a good brush for those who have very sensitive skin,and dont want any scritch on hair tips.

shavemac finest badger hair

[Image: P1220475.jpg]

While for other brands "finest badger" means two band badger hair,shavemac's finest is a blend of pure badger and regular silvertip hair.Bern told me that he uses 60% of silvertip and 40% of pure in every knot of this type of hair.

This hair is cheaper than the regular silvertip,but for me,its the best value for the money of all the shavemac's badger hair brushes.

I do like that the blend of hairs gives a good backbone (firmer than regular silvertip,but softer than D01 silvertip 3 band) and also keeps soft tips,like the regular silvertip.

This is a kind of hair which performs very well with triple milled shaving soaps and with creams,whith face and bowl lathering.

As the regular silvertip,these finest badger brushes comes on a bulb shape form,so again,perfect for face lathering with painting strokes.

Its hair is,like the regular silvertip,not as densely packed as the D01 versions,but again,makes the lather ,much quicker and its not a lather hog at all,releasing the lather efficiently.

I would totally recommend this type of hair/brush to everyone who wants to get a good quality brush or want to try their 1st shavemac brush : its,as I wrote,the best value for the money and a brilliant performer.

shavemac pure badger hair

[Image: P1220555.jpg]

This kind of hair, is the introductory shavemac's badger hair line of brushes.

While in some other brands "pure badger" is synonymous of " extra scratchy" and "bad hair" in shavemac is simply a coarser hair with scritchy tips,far away from the unpleasant scratchy tips from some other types of pure badger hair.

The pure hair is thicker than the rest of the shavemac's 3 band hairs,but the same than the D01 silvertip 2 band.It has a good backbone (firm) and also good flow,almost as good as the regular silvertip or finest badger hair types.

This kind of hair is perfect for bowl lathering and also to apply the lather with painting strokes,since its bulb shaped form.If you have a tough beard and enjoy some exfoliation,this brush could be for you.As I said,is not unpleasant to use,but the tips aren't as soft as the other shavemac's badger hair types, and even when they get slightly softer with time and use,the scritchiness would be there.

Makes lather so easily,like the D01 silvetip two band hair,due to the thickness of the bristles and the right amount of hair of the knot (not too dense,either too "bald").

A good quality pure badger hair, and perfect for bowl lathering,both soaps and shaving creams.

I hope that this brief guide could help choosing your next shavemac brush.

86 7,123
 08-10-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
Excellent review.

Would you rank Shavemac's pure to be equal to best from some other brands?

1 2,827
 08-10-2012, 05:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-10-2012, 05:12 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Excellent review.

Would you rank Shavemac's pure to be equal to best from some other brands?

Yes.shavemac pure could be compared with Edwin Jagger best badger,but a little bit darker (the hair,I mean),or at least,the newer EJ best badger hair.

86 7,123
 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
I only have 1 shavemac, a big 177 26mm Silvertip and it's a beauty...soft, not too dense, great for face and bowl lathering, soaps and creams.

you're review of it above, is spot on.

8 2,718
 08-10-2012, 05:40 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Teiste

Excellent review and very! useful information Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-10-2012, 05:41 PM
User Info
Great write up as always Teiste.

0 241
 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
Sounds like either D01 or the Finest is the grade for me. Thanks for expounding on this for us.

31 7,912
 08-10-2012, 05:50 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Thanks for this review,Teiste, it's very timely. I'm going to order a Shavemac knot in the next couple of days and was searching for first hand information on them. It'll be a 22-23mm knot for face lathering because that's pretty much all I do. I'll make the handle this weekend.

12 743
 08-10-2012, 06:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-10-2012, 05:50 PM)oscar11 Wrote: Thanks for this review,Teiste, it's very timely. I'm going to order a Shavemac knot in the next couple of days and was searching for first hand information on them. It'll be a 22-23mm knot for face lathering because that's pretty much all I do. I'll make the handle this weekend.

Go for finest badger first,my friend.Wink

86 7,123
 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
User Info
(08-10-2012, 06:57 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 05:50 PM)oscar11 Wrote: Thanks for this review,Teiste, it's very timely. I'm going to order a Shavemac knot in the next couple of days and was searching for first hand information on them. It'll be a 22-23mm knot for face lathering because that's pretty much all I do. I'll make the handle this weekend.

Go for finest badger first,my friend.Wink

Excellent breakdown, Teiste- perhaps this could be stickied/ placed with the "important threads"

I had a 177 in both silvertip and finest. I regret selling the finest, and agree that it is both an excellent performer and bargain.

14 210
 08-10-2012, 11:12 PM
User Info
A excellent post Teiste.

I agree with you thinking D01 2 band and Manchurian are similar, I thought the same.

That D01 2 band brush looks familiar!

I need to get a few shavemac's in my collection, I only have 2 and really want to try the finest grade they offer.

7 1,179
 08-11-2012, 03:39 AM
User Info
Thanks for the excellent review. Do you find a grade of Shavemac that is similar to Simpson's Best? Maybe their Silvertip? Or does S's Best have more backbone?

2 202
 08-11-2012, 03:51 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
No, Simpson's Best and shavemac's Silvertip are very different. If you look for something like Simpson's Best I'd suggest shavemac's Finest. The Silvertip does not have the backbone like Simpson's Best has.

0 229
 08-11-2012, 05:45 AM
User Info
(08-11-2012, 03:51 AM)Elbe Wrote: No, Simpson's Best and shavemac's Silvertip are very different. If you look for something like Simpson's Best I'd suggest shavemac's Finest. The Silvertip does not have the backbone like Simpson's Best has.

Thanks for the impression, I'm all about backbone with a hint o' scritch.

2 202
 08-11-2012, 07:36 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-11-2012, 03:51 AM)Elbe Wrote: No, Simpson's Best and shavemac's Silvertip are very different. If you look for something like Simpson's Best I'd suggest shavemac's Finest. The Silvertip does not have the backbone like Simpson's Best has.

There you go : while is not similar to Simpson best grade is close enough.

86 7,123
 08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for another excellent review and pics, Teiste Cool

9 1,684
 08-11-2012, 11:03 AM
User Info
I prefer shavemac's regular silvertip over D01 3 band or Finest... I got a few shavemacs amongst them a Rudy Vey custom boxelderburl that is a wonderful face lathering brush...

31 1,554
 08-11-2012, 11:07 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
German,beautiful brushes!Those shavemacs are brilliant performers.I really like number 2 handle,what is it made? and how is it that you like silvertip over D01 silvertip 3 band and finest?Do you like it with extra flow and super soft tips?
May I ask you to re-size your pics to 800 X 600,please?Thanks a lot for sharing them with us.

86 7,123
 08-11-2012, 11:18 AM
User Info
Boxelderburl ... Can I resize them on the TSN page or need to prior I.e. on my Mac...?
(08-11-2012, 11:07 AM)Teiste Wrote: German,beautiful brushes!Those shavemacs are brilliant performers.I really like number 2 handle,what is it made? and how is it that you like silvertip over D01 silvertip 3 band and finest?Do you like it with extra flow and super soft tips?
May I ask you to re-size your pics to 800 X 600,please?Thanks a lot for sharing them with us.

31 1,554
 08-11-2012, 11:22 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-11-2012, 11:18 AM)German Wrote: Boxelderburl ... Can I resize them on the TSN page or need to prior I.e. on my Mac...?
(08-11-2012, 11:07 AM)Teiste Wrote: German,beautiful brushes!Those shavemacs are brilliant performers.I really like number 2 handle,what is it made? and how is it that you like silvertip over D01 silvertip 3 band and finest?Do you like it with extra flow and super soft tips?

Its fine,my friend : its just automatically set up for 800 here.Andrew just changed that feature.
Tell us,why do you like the silvertip better than the D01 silvertip and finest?

86 7,123