12-21-2016, 09:01 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
A summer rose in a cold winter day!

I decided to shave with my first Oliva soap. I’ve used my other Select line soap( Citrus) several times, so I wanted to see how they compare. Shaving soaps with olive oil base have a bad reputation in this hobby. The lather they give is not that good, it dries out fast, it’s bubbly, if we can say so. This soap is a different story. Larry created a great performing product, which is as good as his other soaps.
This soap impressed me with just one use. Not only the scent is amazing, but the performance is outstanding. It lathers easily, I used one of my favorite boar brushes, the Semogue 830. It’s one of my most used brushes. I’d say that it takes a bit less water than the Select line, but I have to shave with it a few more times to confirm that. I chose an aggressive vintage razor from the 20s for today’s shave. The blade was gliding easily and the protection was top- notch. Larry is truly an excellent artisan and I’m a fan of his work. The scent is intense and noticeable during the shave. It lingers on my skin. Sweet, not overly sweet like Rose de Pushkar, fresh rose with green notes. For a moment I forgot that outside the temperature is close to 5 Celsius degrees, it was like shaving on May. It’s a perfect soap scent for May or June. The post- shave feeling was excellent, my skin was smooth and hydrated. I finished my shave splashing a few drops of Thayers Rose Petal. In winter months, I also use the Myrsol Emulsion, but today it wasn’t necessary, I didn’t feel the need for it.
I really enjoyed my shave today and I’m looking forward to shaving with it again!

[Image: 20161221_142934_zpsl4q0kd8g.jpg]

49 1,999
 12-21-2016, 09:34 AM
User Info
I used this exact soap for the first time two days ago.  Aside from the fact I'm not sure if I can fully appreciate a singular rose scent, as Nero said, "This soap impressed me with just one use."  The Oliva performed as much like a tallow as I've encountered (better than some actual tallows).  Do not be hesitant to try the CRSW Oliva line.

1 201
 12-21-2016, 01:33 PM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
Is the scent powdery? I have 4 or 5 tins from CRSW and they are top teir for sure both Veg and Tallow, I've been on a lookout for a good smelling rose scent, how does this stack against LPL or SC Love?

5 118
 12-21-2016, 01:58 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(12-21-2016, 01:33 PM)GKR1 Wrote: Is the scent powdery? I have 4 or 5 tins from CRSW and they are top teir for sure both Veg and Tallow, I've been on a lookout for a good smelling rose scent, how does this stack against LPL or SC Love?

It's not powdery.

If CRSW is the summer rose, then LPL is the winter one.

It's a different take on rose scent. CRSW has green notes, it's more fresh, while LPL is sweet, warm.

I haven't tried any SC soap, so I can't comment on that.

49 1,999
 12-21-2016, 02:22 PM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
Fair Enough.

Nick, Which one do you like better LPL or CRSW as far as scent and performance goes.

Thanks

5 118
 12-21-2016, 02:37 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(12-21-2016, 02:22 PM)GKR1 Wrote: Fair Enough.

Nick, Which one do you like better LPL or CRSW as far as scent and performance goes.

Thanks

It's too early to say, I've used CRSW only once. But, I'd like to have both. They're both great soaps and rose scent is a favorite of mine.

I know I didn't help you much... Angel

49 1,999
 12-22-2016, 02:11 AM
User Info
I love Larry's soaps.

I think I own 3 or 4 CRSW Olivas's.

Can't remember if I own this. I think I do. But if I was to settle with 4 brands I would pick CRSW as one of them:

CRSW
B&M
Tabula Rasa
LPL

I have used 2 of his Oliva soap twice.
Top top performance, just like his tallow based Select. Even better post shave feel, if possible. Slightly thinner lather.
Still TOP PERFORMANCE !!

24 5,971
 12-22-2016, 08:17 AM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
(12-22-2016, 02:11 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I love Larry's soaps.

I think I own 3 or 4 CRSW Olivas's.

Can't remember if I own this. I think I do. But if I was to settle with 4 brands I would pick CRSW as one of them:

CRSW
B&M
Tabula Rasa
LPL

I have used 2 of his Oliva soap twice.
Top top performance, just like his tallow based Select. Even better post shave feel, if possible. Slightly thinner lather.
Still TOP PERFORMANCE !!
I agree with you list, however, I have never tried Tabula. I also love Panacrema and SV.

5 118
 01-04-2017, 04:54 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
After the CRSW discussion we had the last days, I had to shave with this soap today. What a fantastic soap it is! The post shave feeling is on par with the SdV. I chose the Asylum Rx paired with the Feather Pros and had a super close and smooth shave. The protection during the shave was excellent. And what a wonderful rose scent! Overall, another great shave with this Oliva soap. I will never understand why such an amazing soap had to be discontinued... A great soap formula.

49 1,999
 01-04-2017, 05:11 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Sounds like an amazing shave Nick!

59 4,503
 01-04-2017, 06:37 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Excellent review Nick. I suppose I am in the minority to think Roses are winter scents.  Of course I enjoy the traditional "winter scents". Where I live, roses are in full bloom during the winter. I am also picking ripe oranges and lemons this time of year.

75 1,322
 01-04-2017, 09:16 AM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
(01-04-2017, 04:54 AM)nikos.a Wrote: After the CRSW discussion we had the last days, I had to shave with this soap today. What a fantastic soap it is! The post shave feeling is on par with the SdV. I chose the Asylum Rx paired with the Feather Pros and had a super close and smooth shave. The protection during the shave was excellent. And what a wonderful rose scent! Overall, another great shave with this Oliva soap. I will never understand why such an amazing soap had to be discontinued... A great soap formula.

I just went on their site to perhaps order a tin of the Rose and all of the old line of select and Olivia are not listed anylonger.   

Thanks for the review.

5 118
 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Thank you, my friends!

I also wanted to take a photo, but I'm not good at this.

Yes, unfortunately this line is now discontinued...

49 1,999
 01-17-2017, 02:44 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
A truly wonderful soap. Another nice shave. I love this scent.

[Image: 20170118_001343_zpspz7tb4mf.jpg]

Special thanks to the kind member who sent it my way.

49 1,999
 01-17-2017, 02:53 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Nice review, Nick. Summer Rose is one of my favorite scents from CRSW, and of course, performance is just about as good as it can get. I'm a sucker for rose scents, and have many rose scented soaps, but since this one was released, I tend to reach for it the most because of it's outstanding performance.

38 5,113
 01-17-2017, 02:58 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Thank you, Richard! The performance is outstanding indeed. I can't say if it's better than the v.2 formula, but I enjoy both of them every time I use them.

I shaved a couple of times with the Klar Kabinett sample, I am about to write a review soon.

49 1,999