12-21-2016, 01:08 PM
User Info
I just received a new silver General razor head today and one thing I noticed right away is it looks very much like an ATT SE1 razor. It looks like they copied the same design.
The ATT SE is in the forground.

[Image: WHHnKFO.jpg]

5 1,562
 12-21-2016, 01:18 PM
User Info
I agree that the resemblance is striking. However, if you look at the various forums and Facebook pages, Colonial Razors actually posted images of a prototype a few months ahead of ATT.

It would appear that the resemblance is a coincidence. After all, there is only so much you can do with the basic 3 piece design.

--Bob

0 185
 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM
User Info
Rather similar, but it seems - as far as I can tell from the image - to be some differences in blade geometry.

3 4,679
 12-21-2016, 02:07 PM
User Info
I haven't shaved with it yet but I'm sure I will see a difference.

5 1,562
 12-21-2016, 02:23 PM
User Info
I love my general, its been my favorite razor for some time, I have the very first edition. Pair it up with a feather pro and use skin stretching techniques, you get excellent, smooth BBS irritation free shaves. Also pairing it with a heavier handle helps as well, I'm not a big aluminum handle kindve guy

The att is the 'copycat' if there was one, but the main difference you'll notice is weight I'm assuming. Haven't personally tried the att but it looks like a nice razor.

28 777
 12-21-2016, 02:44 PM
User Info
(12-21-2016, 01:18 PM)spidey9 Wrote: I agree that the resemblance is striking. However, if you look at the various forums and Facebook pages, Colonial Razors  actually posted images of a prototype a few months ahead of ATT.  

It would appear that the resemblance is a coincidence. After all, there is only so much you can do with the basic 3 piece  design.

--Bob

I agree.  Photos of the General prototype was floating around last January.  It wasn't until a month or two later that Stan mentioned they were focused on making an SE.  However, I believe ATT got to market quicker - an advantage of an established company versus the new guys.

2 107
 12-21-2016, 03:46 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
As mentioned already, the General actually preceded the ATT SE1 (with images of the prototype released late 2015). The General is around half the price of the ATT and very lightweight (CNC machined Aluminium). On first inspection the smooth handle would suggest a slippery shave, but when wet the handle somehow feels grippier. I mistakenly thought the razor's modest investment would translate into a cheap, low quality shave. Boy was I wrong. The shave was outstanding and extremely comfortable. Absolutely ZERO irritation and good efficiency. As efficient as the ATT SE1, if not ever so slightly above it. Finding the shaving angle is simple and the razor is so nimble it just flies over the face. My only criticism is I felt the screw post should/could be a touch longer. I'm really not sure why the General doesn't see more praise and discussion here (other forums voted it the best SE of 2016). IMO (and others seem to agree) its a fantastic razor.

99 18,011
 12-21-2016, 03:58 PM
User Info
(12-21-2016, 03:46 PM)ben74 Wrote: As mentioned already, the General actually preceded the ATT SE1 (with images of the prototype released late 2015). The General is around half the price of the ATT and very lightweight (CNC machined Aluminium). On first inspection the smooth handle would suggest a slippery shave, but when wet the handle somehow feels grippier. I mistakenly thought the razor's modest investment would translate into a cheap, low quality shave. Boy was I wrong. The shave was outstanding and extremely comfortable. Absolutely ZERO irritation and good efficiency. As efficient as the ATT SE1, if not ever so slightly above it. Finding the shaving angle is simple and the razor is so nimble it just flies over the face. My only criticism is I felt the screw post should/could be a touch longer. I'm really not sure why the General doesn't see more praise and discussion here (other forums voted it the best SE of 2016). IMO (and others seem to agree) its a fantastic razor.

IDK about that math dude, wasn't the general around 60-70 and ATT around 190? that's not half .... that's more like 3rd of the ATT price

0 212
 12-21-2016, 04:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(12-21-2016, 03:58 PM)bazemk Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 03:46 PM)ben74 Wrote: As mentioned already, the General actually preceded the ATT SE1 (with images of the prototype released late 2015). The General is around half the price of the ATT and very lightweight (CNC machined Aluminium). On first inspection the smooth handle would suggest a slippery shave, but when wet the handle somehow feels grippier. I mistakenly thought the razor's modest investment would translate into a cheap, low quality shave. Boy was I wrong. The shave was outstanding and extremely comfortable. Absolutely ZERO irritation and good efficiency. As efficient as the ATT SE1, if not ever so slightly above it. Finding the shaving angle is simple and the razor is so nimble it just flies over the face. My only criticism is I felt the screw post should/could be a touch longer. I'm really not sure why the General doesn't see more praise and discussion here (other forums voted it the best SE of 2016). IMO (and others seem to agree) its a fantastic razor.

IDK about that math dude, wasn't the general around 60-70 and ATT around 190? that's not half .... that's more like 3rd of the ATT price

Well if my "general" approximation in relation to price is all that you got out of my post you're correct - its 3 times better value dude. However, thats comparing aluminium to stainless steel which is a tad unfair. ATT aluminium DE razors retail at $96, the silver anodised General currently sells at $53.99 (just over 43% cheaper). I imagine if ATT produced an aluminium SE1 it would be around $100 (just under double the price of the General).

99 18,011
 12-21-2016, 04:51 PM
User Info
Quote:

I agree with Ben's opinion.  What is especially interesting to me is when I first unwrapped the General the handle was quite slippery.  But as Ben mentions when wet the handle feels grippier (if that is a word!).  I initially thought I was going to have to replace the handle but after using it for 1 month, it plain doesn't slip.

eric.

7 150
 12-21-2016, 06:06 PM
User Info
As an Artist Club blade fanboy I have owned both the ATT and General.  For whatever reason the ATT did not agree with my face, but the General...what a pleasant surprise.  If one is a copy of the other I suspect something went awry with the process.   Blush

61 492
 12-21-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
I'm looking forward to using the General tommrow night.

5 1,562
 12-21-2016, 11:09 PM
User Info
(12-21-2016, 06:06 PM)poonjaji Wrote: As an Artist Club blade fanboy I have owned both the ATT and General.  For whatever reason the ATT did not agree with my face, but the General...what a pleasant surprise.  If one is a copy of the other I suspect something went awry with the process.   Blush

Exactly , they shave like chalk and cheese , I moved my ATT on , I could not shave with it , I have 6 General's now though , I like it that much

1 8
 12-22-2016, 03:07 AM
User Info
A fantastic razor!

15 404
 12-22-2016, 05:04 AM
User Info
could not agree enough. Bought and returned the ATT. Too heavy and too aggressive. General is just simply perfect. Efficient and yet comfortable.

1 12
 12-22-2016, 04:21 PM
User Info
(12-21-2016, 04:30 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 03:58 PM)bazemk Wrote:

Well if my "general" approximation in relation to price is all that you got out of my post you're correct - its 3 times better value dude. However, thats comparing aluminium to stainless steel which is a tad unfair. ATT aluminium DE razors retail at $96, the silver anodised General currently sells at $53.99 (just over 43% cheaper). I imagine if ATT produced an aluminium SE1 it would be around $100 (just under double the price of the General).

Trust me I really don't need lectures in metals, but if the general was half of the ATT price that would make it around $95 and like you said the general is $53. When it comes to metal comparison SS or nothing! but then Rockwell that's adjustable is SS and also cost $90 less than the ATT. Oh but noes ATT is machined...... I'm guessing that's your next reply Biggrin

0 212
 12-22-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
I'm loving my general, it's a great razor.

9 142
 12-22-2016, 05:13 PM
User Info
Just got my General in today's mail. After reading the above discussion, I am eagerly looking forward to tomorrow morning's first shave with it.

24 1,226
 12-22-2016, 06:18 PM
User Info
I got my General in yesterday. I'm about to use it in a few minutes. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

[Update]  I just finished my first shave with the General. I can't believe how smooth it was. I didn't think it was possible but it was smoother than my ATT SE.  My only concern is how long the aluminium thread on the head stud will last. It seems to be just cheap aluminium.

5 1,562
 12-22-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
I put some plumber's grease on the threads in hopes that it will smooth over any potential problems.

eric.

7 150