12-21-2016, 03:45 PM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
I doubt there's any official definition, so here's mine:  A shave that after ½ hour, with all the post shave done and pores closed, allows me to rub ATG on 95 % of my face and feel as though I'm rubbing WTG. This will hold for 6 hours after the shave. My best BBS shaves will meet those criteria for 12 hours after which the gtowing stubble wii start to make its presence felt.

What's yours?

0 363
 12-21-2016, 07:34 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-21-2016, 03:45 PM)beamon Wrote: I doubt there's any official definition, so here's mine:  A shave that after ½ hour, with all the post shave done and pores closed, allows me to rub ATG on 95 % of my face and feel as though I'm rubbing WTG. This will hold for 6 hours after the shave. My best BBS shaves will meet those criteria for 12 hours after which the gtowing stubble wii start to make its presence felt.

What's yours?

I agree, great explanation, but I would add one thing because i shave 7 days a week always striving for a bbs i would add without taking off a layer of skin leaving you with somewhat of a red/irritated face.

48 402
 12-21-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
I agree,except for the layer of skin, if its BBS its BBS, maybe BBBS, bloody baby butt smooth? LOL all about rubbing in any direction on the face and not feeling any stubble. Duration for me depends on the razor and blade I use. SE razors tend to give e that BBS feeling longer than the DE razors

25 752
 12-22-2016, 03:03 AM
User Info
The definition I like is the "cotton ball test" -- will any fibers catch?

8 873
 12-23-2016, 03:31 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I think for the most part, I'm really gonna get it for this, that a BBS is a myth!!  At least as far as I suspect, if a guy with average "strength" of facial hair gets a true BBS, he must have bled at least a little.

1 795
 12-23-2016, 07:12 PM
User Info
BBS is hard to get but I will say that I think some men are able to achieve it more while other men may not find it possible.

If you can get a close shave and not have any irritation, then you are golden.

79 1,285
 12-23-2016, 08:26 PM
User Info
There are a lot of variables from one person to another. Rate of hair growth, thick or thin hair, full or sparse growth, our ages, etc.

24 1,208
 12-23-2016, 11:33 PM
User Info
When I can rub in any direction w/o feeling stubble, and with no irritation/redness etc. A BBS shave is ready for a suit & tie (or sans tie if your like me).

Technically, I never get a BBS - since my neck cannot tolerate ATG. I'm ok with this, as my shaves are still excellent.

19 899
 12-24-2016, 06:49 AM
User Info
(12-23-2016, 11:33 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: When I can rub in any direction w/o feeling stubble, and with no irritation/redness etc. A BBS shave is ready for a suit & tie (or sans tie if your like me).

This is a pretty good description of my BBS standard.

24 1,208
 12-24-2016, 08:17 AM
User Info
Other than the skin issue I'd agree with that definition of a BBS. Redness of the skin has nothing to do with having baby butt smooth skin since one can't feel redness with the hands. Feeling can be done with the eyes closed. Too, the cotton ball test is the accepted test for it.

Teddy, you are free to be incorrect from other peoples perspective, but you very well may be correct from your perspective. But BBS does exist if one uses the proper gear and technique. It's also possible without blood. I get one virtually every morning unless my blade needs changing and that only happens once, then it gets changed. I sometimes change a blade mid shave. For the record, I never get redness, rash, or any discomfort (I did get razor burn just once, many years ago, from terrible lather that I used anyway). I don't see the point of shaving if I don't get a BBS but lots of folks don't have a BBS as a goal. Are they wrong? Absolutely not. Shaving is a very personal thing.

I couldn't get a BBS if I didn't use aggressive razors and some of the very sharpest and smoothest blades and had such a light but firm touch on my razor. But it all comes into play; hardware, software, and technique. Miss just one of those legs of the tripod and something will suffer.

32 6,416
 12-24-2016, 08:46 AM
User Info
Beamon! For me the best I can get is 85% no stubble feel. I think my whiskers are wire not hair? And, I don't try for that often as I like to be quicker then I can be with a very sharp blade. Maybe it has something to do with my old excessively flabby/jowly face???

0 32
 12-24-2016, 02:05 PM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Interesting, isn't it, how the conversation inexorably turns to YMMV, as it must! Just too many bloody variables for it not to (pardon the intended pun). 

As for people who claim that they don't chase the BBS shave, I won't say, "baloney", but I highly doubt it. You mean you can spend the time necessary to wet shave yourself and not run your hand across your face to see how you did and are not pleased when the result is better than the last time? Yeah, I guess if you accept the result w/o going back and doing more, you're not chasing it, but even if you accept it it don't you make mental notes on what to try to make it better next time?

0 363
 12-24-2016, 04:55 PM
User Info
That's how I figured it out Beamon. I also used Scientific Method instead of chaotically changing things. I explored things that worked and dropped things that didn't, never changing more than one variable at a time. Eventually I got to the point where if I got a liusty shave I knew exactly what caused it and how to fix it. Also to where I could change everything and know how to get the desired result. BTW, some products are just junk and simply don't work. Most are never talked about... that's a dead give away. I specifically have in mind a vintage mug soap from 50-60 years ago. I can't remember the name, and it's a common name (Colgate? maybe) . I shredded mine and fed it to bugs in the septic system.

32 6,416
 12-24-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
After shaving for over 50 years, I'm quite familiar with my face, gear, and techniques. With my hair growing all three directions at once, I have been unable to achieve a BBS. So, when a goal can't be met, change the goal. I'm proud to say that I can now attain a BBS. Yes, my face is now Baboon Butt Smooth. Shok

3 10
 12-24-2016, 06:24 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Steps to achieving BBS:

1. Find a baby.

2. Appreciate the absolute remarkable texture of baby's clean bottom (or any other fleshy area)

3. Realize that no matter what hardware or software you have, or whatever technique you use, you will NEVER obtain that same soft fleshy feeling on your visage after a shave.

4. Now that you've come to the realization that you cannot possibly achieve a BBS shave, relax and have fun with your shave in a stress free way ;-)

156 1,276
 12-24-2016, 06:41 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
If you want BBS but there my be blood get a ikon tech.

5 527
 12-24-2016, 07:06 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I'm one that likes the chase.  I've very heavy, coarse facial hair that grows in at least five directions.  With the old carts I could be presentable till noon, maybe.  These days I define a bbs as one that has zero "hangup" when rubbed in all directions.  A cotton ball won't catch anywhere.    I can get one with a new blade of the sharpest quality, 4 passes plus cleanup, plus the hunt for the odd hair.  Don't do it daily, but it can be done.  

To say you can't generally means that you lack the time, or the will.

42 456
 12-25-2016, 05:27 AM
User Info
(12-24-2016, 06:24 PM)Steelman Wrote: Steps to achieving BBS:

1.  Find a baby.

2.  Appreciate the absolute remarkable texture of baby's clean bottom (or any other fleshy area)

3. Realize that no matter what hardware or software you have, or whatever technique you use, you will NEVER obtain that same soft fleshy feeling on your visage after a shave.

4. Now that you've come to the realization that you cannot possibly achieve a BBS shave, relax and have fun with your shave in a stress free way ;-)
Signs011

2 315
 12-25-2016, 07:35 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I obtain a BBS 95% of the time on my daily shaves, I enjoy the quiet contemplative me time in the morning (from shower to finish shave 45 minutes). I have found the right soaps and the right blades to use for mild and aggressive razors (DE or SE) and after all the years of shaving I intuitively understand the pressure I need to use with each razor and blade. When I leave the bathroom I am now at full strength to fight all the dragons that I will encounter that day.

48 402
 12-25-2016, 05:12 PM
User Info
(12-24-2016, 08:17 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Other than the skin issue I'd agree with that definition of a BBS. Redness of the skin has nothing to do with having baby butt smooth skin since one can't feel redness with the hands. Feeling can be done with the eyes closed. Too, the cotton ball test is the accepted test for it.

Teddy, you are free to be incorrect from other peoples perspective, but you very well may be correct from your perspective. But BBS does exist if one uses the proper gear and technique. It's also possible without blood. I get one virtually every morning unless my blade needs changing and that only happens once, then it gets changed. I sometimes change a blade mid shave. For the record, I never get redness, rash, or any discomfort (I did get razor burn just once, many years ago, from terrible lather that I used anyway). I don't see the point of shaving if I don't get a BBS but lots of folks don't have a BBS as a goal. Are they wrong? Absolutely not. Shaving is a very personal thing.

I couldn't get a BBS if I didn't use aggressive razors and some of the very sharpest and smoothest blades and had such a light but firm touch on my razor. But it all comes into play; hardware, software, and technique. Miss just one of those legs of the tripod and something will suffer.

Agree totally. I found that changing blades after 2 uses made all the difference to my shaves.

0 25