02-19-2017, 04:44 PM
  • Bouki
  • Sandwich Islands
User Info
(12-25-2016, 06:13 PM)Niemander Wrote: "My greatest fear now is that I might not have enough stubble to justify my next shave." That's "BBS" in my humble opinion.   Smile

Excellent definition of a BBS, Neimander. There's something staggering about a thorough shave, a coupling of genuine surprise with the fear that you may have done something irreversible.

5 108
 02-19-2017, 05:14 PM
User Info
(12-21-2016, 03:45 PM)beamon Wrote: I doubt there's any official definition, so here's mine:  A shave that after ½ hour, with all the post shave done and pores closed, allows me to rub ATG on 95 % of my face and feel as though I'm rubbing WTG. This will hold for 6 hours after the shave. My best BBS shaves will meet those criteria for 12 hours after which the gtowing stubble wii start to make its presence felt.

What's yours?

I think this is a pretty good definition.  I'd like to add, for myself, minimal to no irritation or burn.  Only recently, now that I am using a Cobra and an Rx, have I gotten to the point were I am consistently achieving this sort of BBS.

8 512
 02-20-2017, 05:32 PM
User Info
Dear Gents;

Bbs, for me, is when the next morning my first pass is against the grain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 256
 03-03-2017, 06:37 PM
User Info
A related question:

Can you have bbs without exfoliation?

0 256
 03-03-2017, 10:32 PM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 06:37 PM)carlospppena Wrote: A related question:

Do you mean... is it possible (for the person answering) to shave, without using a brush or a without a brush with scrub, and still get a quality BBS?

76 1,183
 03-04-2017, 03:51 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 10:32 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(03-03-2017, 06:37 PM)carlospppena Wrote: A related question:

Do you mean... is it possible (for the person answering) to shave, without using a brush or a without a brush with scrub, and still get a quality BBS?

Dear Zac;

No. That is not what i mean. It is a rhetorical question. The implied meaning is that for you to have a bbs, you have to peel a very thin flake of skin. The real question is: do you think so?

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 256
 03-04-2017, 06:30 AM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
First, I pretty much agree with all the definitions here - I can't tell you what BBS is (& don't have a baby close to hand) but I know it when I feel it.

Second, yes it is one of my big challenges not to chase BBS where I'm just not likely to get it, which for me is around and above my Adam's apple. I just gave to do my best there otherwise there's a lot of irritation. Hope improved technique & friendly advice will help me out there over time. But for cheeks, jawline, and the flat areas of my neck, I get BBS 90% of the time.

Finally, I'm pretty sure it is impossible to get a close shave with a steel razor with out exfoliating at least one layer of skin cells.

0 104
 03-04-2017, 07:03 AM
User Info
Yes! When an aftershave lotion "bites" it is because that first layer of skin is gone. Some of us are addicted to that bite.... Dont you?

0 256
 03-04-2017, 08:49 AM
User Info
One reason I asked was when I last used one of my favorite shave soaps, I remember the maker using a work that translates to a skin pulling effect. Isn't that kind of making the skin more elastic but providing a cut that isn't as deep? Possibly, but at least for the comfort of my skin during the shave and calmness of the skin after I rinse is something I appreciate. 

Also in your post, you mention skin releasing or peeling off a thin layer. This can happen when I have acne coming up through the skin and later in the day if I shave with the soap above, I have skin abrasions come off gently and the leave the new skin behind healthier and less red.

I really do judge the performance of a soap based on if I feel it guards my skins during shaving and helps provide nutrition for my skins most current condition. Example would be maybe in spring around warming months, I might have more skin breakouts where as in summer my skin may be less picky. Winter last year was the hardest on my skin, especially around my lips and chin. Luckily my face wasn't as dry this winter we're still going through.

I do like a variety of aftershaves as well that may have some tightening or temporary burning feelings.

76 1,183
 03-04-2017, 10:00 AM
User Info
Dear Zac;

I appreciate the time you took to share with us.

I live in Puerto Rico. Its summer all year. :-)

For nostalgic reasons i started to shave my head with safety razors. Therefore, i developed an addiction to very sharp edges. So, i strop my straights with CBN .5 and .125. It works for me. The edge is so sharp that with even a very soft touch you end up exfoliating -or peeling- some skin. As you say new skin comes about. I think its a healthy process for the skin.

The best for you,

Pepe Peña

0 256