12-22-2016, 05:36 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
Any of the brothers here give this a try?  Pros, Cons, any feedback pleeeeeze ;-)

129 320
 12-22-2016, 06:47 PM
User Info
I've never tried it, or any other brush cleaner.   The Superior Shave sells a German brush cleaner by Zartgefuhl, and previously they sold one by a different manufacturer.  I'm not convinced one needs a special  soap to remove the residue from the prior soap one used.  I have hard water and have never needed any special cleaning product for my brushes. The L&L video, which I like for its honesty, indicates that Dawn and vinegar are just as effective.  However, if the product works and is more convenient than the Dawn and vinegar routine, then there is something to be said for it.  

If anyone tries this product, please post your results.

48 5,737
 12-22-2016, 06:52 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(12-22-2016, 06:47 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I've never tried it, or any other brush cleaner.   The Superior Shave sells a German brush cleaner by Zartgefuhl, and previously they sold one by a different manufacturer.  I'm not convinced one needs a special  soap to remove the residue from the prior soap one used.  I have hard water and have never needed any special cleaning product for my brushes. The L&L video, which I like for its honesty, indicates that Dawn and vinegar are just as effective.  However, if the product works and is more convenient than the Dawn and vinegar routine, then there is something to be said for it.  

If anyone tries this product, please post your results.

Thanks Ricardo!

129 320
 12-22-2016, 10:16 PM
User Info
If someone is taking care of their brushes, meaning proper rinsing, good drying and not using the worst hard water possible all the time, then I don't think this is for them.

Not sure why Scott doesn't list the ingredients but from what you have told me Tony, you take good care of your brushes anyway.

79 1,298
 12-22-2016, 10:44 PM
User Info
I use this

http://www.dickblick.com/products/da-vin...nditioner/

One bar lasts a long time. Once every two months I lather it up with this and the hair is left silky smooth and brings back elasticity to the hairs. I just imagine if I used dish washing liquid on my hair it would be breaking all over the place as it would be quite harsh.

[Image: eda85b33f95f21b1bb0646ccb6c93c27.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 79
 12-23-2016, 12:08 AM
User Info
Mac brush cleaner is excellent. It cleans and sterilizes. I like it much better than the German stuff from Superior shave. It is used for women's makeup brushes but it's great for shaving brushes I highly recommend it it's about $16 a bottle sold at Macy's and Nordstrom's and online

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

19 571
 12-23-2016, 09:16 AM
User Info
(12-23-2016, 12:08 AM)rawfox1 Wrote: Mac brush cleaner is excellent. It cleans and sterilizes. I like it much better than the German stuff from Superior shave. It is used for women's makeup brushes but it's great for shaving brushes I highly recommend it it's about $16 a bottle sold at Macy's and Nordstrom's and online

MAC brush cleaner is also my favorite.  I leave the hairs feeling super clean, springy and soft.  However, it certainly doesn't sterilize the hair.  From the smell of it there is a fair amount of alcohol in it but it just seems to strip out old soap residue very well without drying out the hairs, in fact I say the hairs were hydrated.  But it works wonderfully. I only use it when I start to notice some build up along the knot-handle junction.

73 2,200
 12-23-2016, 12:26 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(12-22-2016, 10:16 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: If someone is taking care of their brushes, meaning proper rinsing, good drying and not using the worst hard water possible all the time, then I don't think this is for them.

Not sure why Scott doesn't list the ingredients but from what you have told me Tony, you take good care of your brushes anyway.

Hey My good friend!!

Yep, I am a very avid care taker of my brushes.  I believe in combing them properly (some shavers don't or don't think it's necessary, and that's ok), and I like to make sure I thoroughly rinse shake and air dry properly.  I also make sure that the heating vent in my shave den is closed when the central heating is on; that dry air can really dry out the hair on natural brushes.  Even though I do all of these things, I still can 'flick' the knots of my brushes with my hand and get cloud poofs of dry soap.  I think traditional methods of cleaning are perfect, but time consuming, and with my crazy schedule; if this L&L method works well, it would actually be good for me.

129 320
 12-23-2016, 01:20 PM
User Info
Tony, are you using tap water then? That would be my guess if you are getting the dry soap cloud plumes. If you wanted to avoid cleaning your brushes with anything really, then switch to distilled water and buy yourself a gallon to have in the bathroom.

79 1,298
 12-23-2016, 05:28 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(12-23-2016, 12:08 AM)rawfox1 Wrote: Mac brush cleaner is excellent. It cleans and sterilizes. I like it much better than the German stuff from Superior shave. It is used for women's makeup brushes but it's great for shaving brushes I highly recommend it it's about $16 a bottle sold at Macy's and Nordstrom's and online

Good idea! Might have to check it out.

129 320
 12-23-2016, 05:32 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(12-22-2016, 10:44 PM)Coffeesnob Wrote: I use this

http://www.dickblick.com/products/da-vin...nditioner/

One bar lasts a long time. Once every two months I lather it up with this and the hair is left silky smooth and brings back elasticity to the hairs. I just imagine if I used dish washing liquid on my hair it would be breaking all over the place as it would be quite harsh.

[Image: eda85b33f95f21b1bb0646ccb6c93c27.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This looks interesting too

129 320
 12-23-2016, 07:08 PM
User Info
Da Vinci brush cleaning soap is great. That is a good price for a bar I might add. I would go for that first. From what I remember, it is a palm/palm kernel oil, coconut oil, salt, sugar, preservative and fragrance. It does a really nice job for how simple the recipe and a puck/bar lasts a long time in my opinion.

79 1,298
 12-25-2016, 07:15 AM
User Info
Does it make sense to use a soap to remove soap residues?
Aren't it those soap residues damaging your badger hair?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 76
 12-25-2016, 09:10 AM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(12-23-2016, 07:08 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Da Vinci brush cleaning soap is great. That is a good price for a bar I might add. I would go for that first. From what I remember, it is a palm/palm kernel oil, coconut oil, salt, sugar, preservative and fragrance. It does a really nice job for how simple the recipe and a puck/bar lasts a long time in my opinion.

Yeah, I actually went for this. Ordered it a couple of days ago. Really looking forward to giving it a run.

129 320
 12-25-2016, 09:20 AM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(12-25-2016, 07:15 AM)apogee. Wrote: Does it make sense to use a soap to remove soap residues?
Aren't it those soap residues damaging your badger hair?

Shaving soaps would have different properties than a soap used to wash away residue. Shaving soap are made with properties stemming from ingredients that help us get the qualities we need: slickness, cushion, and coverage, etc. a good shave soap has a very low rinse factor (meaning it shouldn't rinse off of your face that easily). Then there are soaps (such as good dish detergent and some animal shampoos or such as the Da Vinci soap) that are created to rinse much more thoroughly and thus would help to not only strip old soap residue, but rinse it away more thoroughly.

This is just theoretically how I believe (or understand) that it works. Not sure if anyone else can expound on this.

129 320
 12-25-2016, 12:30 PM
User Info
Hmm, thanks for your info.
What about borax?

0 76
 12-27-2016, 07:37 AM
User Info
For those of you using the MAC brush cleaner, how do you use it? Are you just soaking the brush in the liquid?  For how long?

9 137
 12-27-2016, 07:39 AM
User Info
(12-27-2016, 07:37 AM)Kpfeifle Wrote: For those of you using the MAC brush cleaner, how do you use it? Are you just soaking the brush in the liquid?  For how long?
After you rinse out the brush put a few drops on top and then just in a bowl or on your hand make a sudsy a lather and then just rinse

19 571
 12-27-2016, 11:08 AM
User Info
I haven't used the L&L brush rejuvenator yet but just wanted to throw this out there - I'm pretty sure Scott wouldn't release a product that would harm any of his Declaration knots.  I would expect it to be as high quality as his shaving software and brushes.  I have very hard water - so I'm sure I have quite a bit of soap scum build up in my brushes.  I plan on trying out the brush rejuvenator with a future order (hopefully spring time brings an interesting new scent from L&L).

2 107
 12-27-2016, 02:49 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've used Leohardy brush soap, MAC brush cleaner and the brush soap from The Superior Shave mentioned above.  The only time I've used them is before using a new or second hand brush.  I can't say that I can draw any conclusions on their efficacy, but the MAC is simpler albeit much more expensive.  I think, however, that washing a brush in vinegar and water would work very well.

5 887