08-10-2012, 05:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I just started using some new shipping software that allows me to ship first class as well as Priority and Parcel Post. As a result, I have added a new shipping option to my store called small packs.

The small packs option is great if your package is less than around 11 oz and is perfect for blades, refill soap pucks, razors and brushes. Once your package is heavier, the site still allows you to choose small packs but you are better off choosing domestic shipping. Hopefully this is not too confusing.

45 16,352
 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Great! It is always good to have more options! Often I wait to put an order in on something I want to try because shipping is more than the product.

0 253
 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
We will see how this works. It is not as straight forward as you would think and I will need to stock up on a lot of different sized non-priority boxes and bubble packs. I may need a 2nd warehouse just for the packing supplies. Cool

I will likely have to fine tune it a bit. Whenever I make a change on the website (especially shipping related) I get nervous. Let's call it a beta test. Biggrin

45 16,352
 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
This is great news Phil!

45 3,955
 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Great Service Phil!!!!

115 1,692
 08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(08-10-2012, 06:52 PM)Triad Wrote: Great Service Phil!!!!

+1. Phil's service is second to none!

11 366
 08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
Great to hear, Phil. Good luck with the test.

75 20,883
 08-11-2012, 04:44 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
So from now on when an order is placed the system will determine "best way to ship" and least expensive and practical?

100 12,447
 08-11-2012, 06:06 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-11-2012, 04:44 AM)slantman Wrote: So from now on when an order is placed the system will determine "best way to ship" and least expensive and practical?

No...you have to physically choose the shipping method. The problem is if you do not clear your cookies, it will automatically default to the method you used last time which may or may not be appropriate. You can change this in the checkout.

I may have to scrap this extra option as it is leading to confusion and could in fact lead to lost sales. For instance, if you used small packs the last time for a small item, the shipping option would default to small packs for your next order (unless you cleared the cookies). If your next order is heavier than small packs is designed for, it will show shipping of $11.35 which may drive people away. If you choose domestic shipping instead, the shipping cost would likely be much less...perhaps under $6.00 depending on weight and destination. Worse...the small packs does not have a free shipping option for orders over $80.00. Integrated shipping software is extremely complicated and I am running into some issues.

I need to rethink this.

45 16,352
 08-11-2012, 07:03 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
The small packs option was too cumbersome/confusing. I deleted that as an option but lowered my shipping price for lighter orders since my new shipping software allows me to print all methods of shipping (first class, Priority, Parcel Post, etc).

So...this will save the customers money without being overly confusing. Due we website limitations, this seems like the best solution. It just took me awhile to work through everything. I will try this for awhile to see if it needs further tweaking.

45 16,352
 08-11-2012, 07:21 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I started offering first class shipping as well Phil and it's been used several times already. It's nice for the buyer because if they just want one item they can get it without paying a lot for shipping. So it's a win-win for all! So I bet your customers are really excited that your doing that for them!!!!!!!!

7 405
 08-11-2012, 08:10 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
OK thank you for the option.

100 12,447
 08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Phil, I still want you to get on your private jet and make those speedy deliveries.Biggrin

173 23,547
 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I am thrilled this is being offered. Many times I've ordered elsewhere because they have a first class shipping option and all I wanted was one item. Thanks for doing this Phil!!

116 3,804
 08-11-2012, 02:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I had been using the USPS Click & Ship software which only lets you print Priority Postage. My new software is great...not only can I print any kind of USPS Postage, I can also print UPS, Fedex, DHL and a few I have never heard of.

The devil is in the details though and getting it to integrate with my website has been a royal PITA. So far, it seems to be working well.

The software imports all of the information from the order so I do not even have to fill out customs forms for international orders anymore...the information is auto filled. It is going to be a huge time saver for me. Once the delivery confirmation number has been scanned at the post office, it is automatically emailed to the customer. Aaaaa

45 16,352
 08-11-2012, 02:22 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-11-2012, 02:18 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I had been using the USPS Click & Ship software which only lets you print Priority Postage. My new software is great...not only can I print any kind of USPS Postage, I can also print UPS, Fedex, DHL and a few I have never heard of.

The devil is in the details though and getting it to integrate with my website has been a royal PITA. So far, it seems to be working well.

The software imports all of the information from the order so I do not even have to fill out customs forms for international orders anymore...the information is auto filled. It is going to be a huge time saver for me. Once the delivery confirmation number has been scanned at the post office, it is automatically emailed to the customer. Aaaaa

Wishing you lots of success with it, Phil. It sounds like a vendor/customer win/win. Smile

2 11,211
 08-11-2012, 02:30 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thank you Freddy...I makes me wonder why I did not do it sooner. I actually had explored shipping software from a few different companies over the past two years. One conflicted with the Windows software that I had and essentially led to the demise of my computer a few years ago. All of the options that I tried had one or more features/characteristics that I simply could not live with. The software that I have now is heads and shoulders above anything that I had tried previously.

45 16,352
 08-11-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
(08-11-2012, 02:30 PM)bullgoose Wrote: The software that I have now is heads and shoulders above anything that I had tried previously.

Gee, Phil, I thought Head and Shoulders was a shampoo. BiggrinBiggrin

Seriously, good for you. You have worked the process through and come up with a very workable solution. It will certainly help the customer who waits to order as a means of mitigating the shipping cost. Best of luck with the new process.

15 316
 08-11-2012, 10:27 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thank you. I have a feeling I will be tweaking this for awhile before I have it just how I want it.

45 16,352
 08-12-2012, 07:53 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
The small packs option is back. This way customers have a choice on how they want a light item shipped -Expedited Shipping or Small Packs. I think I have worked out the kinks but will continue to tweak it as necessary.

45 16,352