01-10-2017, 10:23 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(01-10-2017, 03:02 PM)ARGH Wrote: Here they come. I decided to make a little experiment after my previous comment and took the Mossly Lime out of the tin, kneaded it a bit and put it back. The pattern and that pinkish color (you can still see it in the second tin) are gone.

[Image: H2w39uO.jpg]

Yup, that's exactly what mine look like.  I'll probably do the same; remove soap from tin and mix it up better then press it back in.

47 1,874
 01-11-2017, 12:23 AM
User Info
(01-10-2017, 10:23 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 03:02 PM)ARGH Wrote: Here they come. I decided to make a little experiment after my previous comment and took the Mossly Lime out of the tin, kneaded it a bit and put it back. The pattern and that pinkish color (you can still see it in the second tin) are gone.

[Image: H2w39uO.jpg]

Yup, that's exactly what mine look like.  I'll probably do the same; remove soap from tin and mix it up better then press it back in.

Mine looks the same and I was wondering if that was normal. I took mine out and separated one of the big white chunks and it felt hard and waxy plus it didn't have much of a scent to when I squished it between my finger and thumb. The colored part felt more like soap and had scent to it. Odd texture to say the least. I'll try mashing it together to mix it better.

The scents are nice, simple but a bit on the too light side.

0 73
 01-11-2017, 09:12 AM
User Info
Could that be the vitamin E update that Peter was talking about?

18 229
 01-11-2017, 01:13 PM
User Info
Interesting.  Thanks for posting the pics.  Looks like some part of the soap mixture is separating out after saponification.   Also looks like it can be easily stirred back in. 

Wouldn't think it necessary other than cosmetically, however, as I think running a brush over it to make lather would likely also mix the components pretty evenly in the lather.

2 1,322
 01-12-2017, 06:48 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
test lathered each side by side and the results are virtually indistinguishable.

111 1,370
 01-12-2017, 07:54 AM
User Info
(01-11-2017, 01:13 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Interesting.  Thanks for posting the pics.  Looks like some part of the soap mixture is separating out after saponification.   Also looks like it can be easily stirred back in. 

Wouldn't think it necessary other than cosmetically, however, as I think running a brush over it to make lather would likely also mix the components pretty evenly in the lather.

Hi - I just noticed this subject had come up in the thread.

The inconsistency in the texture of the soap is due to allowing it to cool considerably before adding the vitamin e and essential oils (to preserve the maximum benefits of those ingredients). The soap cools unevenly - faster around the walls of the vat. So the whiter, "waxier" bits are pieces that have cooled too much to absorb the additives properly. 

The easiest remedy for this would be to not allow the batter to cool quite as much before mixing in the ingredients. Alternatively, I could have put it through an additional blending process after the fact but the appearance wasn't quite as dramatic initially. Only after it had sat for a couple of days did it start to become as noticeable - due to the vitamin e colouring the soap over time. I had never used vitamin e before so this was new to me.

Will allow for this next time through. But even the white bits have all the properties intact that are responsible for the lather itself so no mixing is necessary from a performance perpective.

Hope this helps to clarify. And thanks for all your interest.

Peter

27 396
 01-12-2017, 08:39 AM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 07:54 AM)scritchnscrub Wrote:
(01-11-2017, 01:13 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Interesting.  Thanks for posting the pics.  Looks like some part of the soap mixture is separating out after saponification.   Also looks like it can be easily stirred back in. 

The inconsistency in the texture of the soap is due to allowing it to cool considerably before adding the vitamin e and essential oils (to preserve the maximum benefits of those ingredients). The soap cools unevenly - faster around the walls of the vat. So the whiter, "waxier" bits are pieces that have cooled too much to absorb the additives properly. 

The easiest remedy for this would be to not allow the batter to cool quite as much before mixing in the ingredients. Alternatively, I could have put it through an additional blending process after the fact but the appearance wasn't quite as dramatic initially. Only after it had sat for a couple of days did it start to become as noticeable - due to the vitamin e colouring the soap over time. I had never used vitamin e before so this was new to me.

Will allow for this next time through. But even the white bits have all the properties intact that are responsible for the lather itself so no mixing is necessary from a performance perpective.

Peter

Thanks for the info. Personally it never bothered me.

17 596
 01-12-2017, 11:21 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info

Peter

Thank you for the clarification Peter! Your soaps are simply awesome! Just another piece of information I forgot to mention - when I was removing the soap from the tin  I noticed that only about 2-3mm of the upper layer had that pinkish color. The rest of the mass looked evenly yellow (-ish) and similar to the top container in my photo.

Best regards,
Alex

111 1,370
 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 08:39 AM)GloryUprising Wrote:

Peter

Thanks for the info. Personally it never bothered me.

Doesn't bother me either. In fact, I kind of like it. It has a unique look.

-Mark

0 67
 04-06-2017, 08:54 PM
User Info
Add on bonus review of the 'new' soap base with Mango Butter: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=48053

17 596
 04-08-2017, 06:56 AM
User Info
Adding on my experience with these soaps. Got a tin of Mossly Lime.

Lather - 10/10
Lather time - 8/10 - takes a little longer for me
Scent - 6/10 - wish it were a little stronger and fresher 
Cushion - 10/10
Post Shave feel - 10/10

Something I'm not too happy about with this is the pricing - 110 g/ 3.88 Oz for 20 USD seems steep.

Plus not matching aftershave.

Things can only get better though!

0 10
 04-10-2017, 06:09 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
The postman was kind today.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave.[Image: JlDdwy5.jpg]

52 1,525