12-24-2016, 06:26 PM
User Info
Good day to you all and a merry christmas. 

Just curious if there is any love out there for crystal blades? I had the opportunity to try a few recently and I really liked them. I found them both sharp and smooth. 

They may become my new favorite blade. 

If you are curious my blades of choice are: 
Feather
Voshkod
Gillette silver blue
Gillette Nacet
Polsilver 
Astra SP

JS

0 56
 12-24-2016, 07:16 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
(12-24-2016, 06:26 PM)JesusShaves Wrote: Good day to you all and a merry christmas. 

Just curious if there is any love out there for crystal blades? I had the opportunity to try a few recently and I really liked them. I found them both sharp and smooth. 

They may become my new favorite blade. 

If you are curious my blades of choice are: 
Feather
Voshkod
Gillette silver blue
Gillette Nacet
Polsilver 
Astra SP

JS

I really  like Crystal blades to , just bought another 100 .

9 320
 12-24-2016, 07:48 PM
User Info
I also like Crystal blades. 

And I like the rest of your choices. 

Merry Christmas!

0 306
 12-24-2016, 09:49 PM
User Info
I really like Crystals as a second blade choice in my R41/BBS-1 and find them to be along the lines of a Pol Silver Super Iridium like blade.

75 1,137
 12-25-2016, 10:24 AM
User Info
I decided to order a few more blades to see if I want to purchase them in bulk. Really want to check consistency.

0 56
 12-26-2016, 04:17 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I can't use them.  They irritate my face.  I think it's the coating because the Israeli Personna reds do the same thing.

3 450
 12-26-2016, 05:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I like Crystals. Have a few hundred. Great for two to three shaves, tops. If I try to go for four they feel tuggy. So i don't. Have you tried Personna Reds? I find them to be sharper and smoother than Crystals, despite being made in the same factory. Ymmv Smile

1 1,521
 12-27-2016, 05:02 PM
User Info
I have used parsonna reds. I like those too. 

How would guys rate crystals on the scale of sharpness? feather being 10 and derby being 1.

0 56
 12-27-2016, 07:24 PM
User Info
I've tried Personna reds but not Crystals. I've been going through sample packs of blades for the past few months and Personna reds were one of the worst blades that I used. It could have just been a bad blade but I'm hesitant to try the other one in the sample pack after my initial experience.

I am a big fan however of the other blades that you listed. Feather, Voskhod, and Nacet are some of my top picks. Seeing as how we seem to have pretty similar blade preferences, maybe I need to give Crystals a try or at least give the Personna red another shot.

0 15
 12-28-2016, 06:57 AM
User Info
(12-27-2016, 07:24 PM)Demidog Wrote: I've tried Personna reds but not Crystals. I've been going through sample packs of blades for the past few months and Personna reds were one of the worst blades that I used. It could have just been a bad blade but I'm hesitant to try the other one in the sample pack after my initial experience.

I am a big fan however of the other blades that you listed. Feather, Voskhod, and Nacet are some of my top picks. Seeing as how we seem to have pretty similar blade preferences, maybe I need to give Crystals a try or at least give the Personna red another shot.

I find crystal blades to be smoother and little more forgiving the Personna reds. There is a blade exchange on B&B that is great place to try some different blades. Only cost you some stamps. 
Give them a shot.

0 56
 12-28-2016, 09:58 AM
User Info
I use them exclusively in my 40's and 50's style Super Speeds, my 49 Rocket and Parat.  Smooth blade for me and also very forgiving.

0 114
 12-29-2016, 05:24 PM
User Info
I'm a fan of Personna reds for sure, so I imagine I'd like Crystals.

0 967
 12-29-2016, 11:29 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I like Crystals.  Sharp & smooth.  Also they don't have those annoying glue spots either.  bonus! Biggrin

45 1,784
 12-30-2016, 10:09 PM
User Info
(12-29-2016, 11:29 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I like Crystals.  Sharp & smooth.  Also they don't have those annoying glue spots either.  bonus! Biggrin

+1, never understand the glue/wax, *shudder*

5 87
 01-01-2017, 05:44 PM
User Info
(12-30-2016, 10:09 PM)yomuppet Wrote: +1, never understand the glue/wax, *shudder*

I didn't bookmark the explanation and I'm too lazy to go hunting for it, but the reasoning was that without the glue, blades can shift around a lot in their respective wrappers. When they rub against the wrapping, they can lose their edge. Next time you pull out a blade with the glue dots, take a look at it through the wax paper. You will notice that none of the shaving edges are touching the paper since the blade is held in the middle, or at least that's where it should be.

0 15
 01-02-2017, 04:23 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(01-01-2017, 05:44 PM)Demidog Wrote:
(12-30-2016, 10:09 PM)yomuppet Wrote: +1, never understand the glue/wax, *shudder*

I didn't bookmark the explanation and I'm too lazy to go hunting for it, but the reasoning was that without the glue, blades can shift around a lot in their respective wrappers. When they rub against the wrapping, they can lose their edge. Next time you pull out a blade with the glue dots, take a look at it through the wax paper. You will notice that none of the shaving edges are touching the paper since the blade is held in the middle, or at least that's where it should be.
Makes sense until you do the same "looking through thr wrapper" on a waxless blade test. The blade sits nicely in its wrapper, centered as nice as can be, looking as though it has never moved and cuts as though it should. Package engineering is a black art that always puzzles me as to how different engineers arrive at such different solutions to their problem.

Me? I say, wax dots... Bah Humbug!

0 359
 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM
User Info
Agreed, blades without glue on them are preferable to those that do have them. It has influenced my blade preferences but some blades with glue are too good to give up like 7 O'Clock SharpEdges.

0 15
 01-05-2017, 05:21 AM
User Info
I still have yet to try out 7 o clock yellows. I have heard that they are pretty good for us tough beard people such as myself. I have the added bonus of having sensitive skin which makes its really hard to shave every day comfortably. I have begun alternating every other day to let my wimpy face rest.

Interestingly I have used blades that are considered to be on the smooth side and have had zero issues with them despite maybe only getting 1-2 shaves out of the blade.  On the flip side of that I have used what would be considered sharp and have had it pull and tug. Its interesting how everyone really is different. 

I ordered a small tuck of crystal blades and added them to my rotation. I think I will be investing in some more for sure. 

Side note for anyone who is interested in blades that didnt work for me. 
Derby
Treats
Sharks
Kai 
Personna lab blues
Gillette Platnuim
Big Ben
Bic
Lords
Gillette 7 o'clock black,green
Astra SS
Wilkinson sword