12-26-2016, 05:48 AM
User Info
(12-25-2016, 07:11 PM)Nero Wrote: I think it would be interesting to see pictures of the lathers from folks from both sides of the fence.
I've never used it myself, but only smelled it (and enjoyed that aspect).

The picture that Beau posted (No offence) above looks like the light, foamy, dissipating lathers I could get. This is instant razor burn 100% of the time due to the lack of cushion, slickness etc.

0 26
 12-26-2016, 06:16 AM
User Info
[Image: tEqOICg.jpg]

This is some seconds on the soap and a minute or two building the lather. 
The MWF is a dense,slick lather with lots of protection and a good post shave.

But it is not necessary yogurty like and don't have that sheen to it that I prefer in a shaving lather.

When that is said it is a very good performer. 

[Image: Don3C0F.jpg]

2 315
 12-26-2016, 06:53 AM
  • Beau
  • New York
User Info
(12-26-2016, 05:48 AM)qVAMPIREp Wrote:
(12-25-2016, 07:11 PM)Nero Wrote: I think it would be interesting to see pictures of the lathers from folks from both sides of the fence.

The picture that Beau posted (No offence) above looks like the light, foamy, dissipating lathers I could get. This is instant razor burn 100% of the time due to the lack of cushion, slickness etc.

Valid critique, qVAMPIREp, but I believe the problem is with my technique, not the soap. I apologize for posting that poor photo.

0 570
 12-26-2016, 10:18 AM
User Info
(12-26-2016, 06:53 AM)Beau Wrote: Ł
(12-26-2016, 05:48 AM)qVAMPIREp Wrote:

Valid critique, qVAMPIREp, but I believe the problem is with my technique, not the soap. I apologize for posting that poor photo.

That was a good photo Beau, I didn't mean to criticize your lather Wink It looked like the best lather that I could get from MWF. I tried every lathering method, including soaking the puck until it swelled to the full size of the ceramic container etc.

0 26
 12-26-2016, 02:48 PM
User Info
I'd have shaved with Beau's lather. It didn't rise to the shiny standards seen in some of the other photos, but the bubbles were small and overall it looked reasonable.
I've gotten similar results with minimal work from modern Williams (I've never used MWF) and been well pleased.

10 1,048
 12-26-2016, 02:51 PM
User Info
using mine right now as hand soap and it works great.

78 1,427
 12-26-2016, 02:54 PM
User Info
It is so many good soap's out there, so if one or more is giving you a hard time or burns /stings on you're face .just let it go because life is to short for bad soaps/creams Razors and brushes ect.

2 315
 12-26-2016, 05:32 PM
User Info
I agree with what the razor said. So many great soaps why keep trying with one that isn't working for you.

If you give it a fair chance, just move on and not torture yourself trying to make it work for you.

Most of us here have a good rotation of soaps/creams and a few more we are looking to add to the rotation as soon as we can make room for it.

I have never used the Fat but know it must he a good product as it has fan base on the shave forums. But I have also read enough threads to know that it just doesn't work for some people.

I have traded/sold/gifted some products away as they didn't work well enough for me or gave me issues. Haven't regretted it yet. As I look forward to trying something new in my rotation that's been waiting.

8 166
 12-26-2016, 06:01 PM
User Info
I believe MWF is a soap Best used multiple days in a row. When I use it for a several week period daily that is when it hits its peak. I also find it works better with boar but I find every soap works better with boar so....
I love the smell of it so i will always have a puck in my nook but if i had to live without it I could and not reallymiss it.

93 921
 12-26-2016, 07:03 PM
User Info
Claus, you gotta test it with distilled water.  Hey, grab some Krones and pop over to the drug store and pick up a bottle of distilled water.  Get another puck of MWF and see how it goes.  I bet you'll be impressed.  It's a fine soap (when it lathers).

1 506
 12-26-2016, 07:15 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
What a great thread!

To see the divergent views on a single product.  From "I love it" to " I trashed it."

If there was ever a case of YMMV, this is it.  

63 1,752
 12-26-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
Should have tried harder Claus. You gave up to easy! 

Just kidding!! 

Definitely applaud you for your determination. Hate to hear it didn't work for you. Was my very 1st soap and will always have a spot in my den. Have always gotten great results. 

You shouldn't have thrown it out. Could have used it as a hand or body soap! Smile

154 3,748
 12-27-2016, 05:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
For those going to throw it away, I will PM you my address.  Smile  I am getting to the bottom of the dish and I only have 6 pucks in reserve. Smile

180 25,067
 12-27-2016, 06:11 AM
User Info
I have been super pleased with MWF, I use the Marco method and even add additional water but we are blessed with super soft water ( Water softener ) my son wanted to try it but did not want to chance buying it having hard water ( he lives far from us ) so I used unsoftened water and although it took a minute or so longer to get going I was afforded a respectable lather, I have pretty much used it with all sorts of brushes (Badger, Boar, Horse and Synthetic) and have gotten good lather each time, like Johnny said those not pleased with it send my way, I only have 2 pucks in reserve and if they ever stopped making it I would buy alot.

Here is my hard water lather:

7 1,626
 12-27-2016, 07:39 AM
User Info
Had a magnificent MWF shave this morning. Not airy, but rich and thick. A very stable, slick lather. Couldn't have been more enjoyable.  Biggrin
[Image: Ci0IFNn.jpg]

48 4,682
 12-27-2016, 02:44 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've tried for some years to get MWF to produce an acceptable lather.  I've grated it, I've boar brushed it, I've lathered it upside down after soaking at the bottom of the sink, etc., etc.  I've used maybe 75 different brushes on it, from two band manchurian to horsey.  I've tried at the full moon and also the cusp .. 

The reason I'm commenting now is that I tried it again, today, and surprise, surprise, it failed.   I thought a minute of loading was excessive, but if over ten minutes of loading won't do, well ..

As someone pointed out it can be rescued with a superlather, and that's how I finished the shave today, but that is just wrong.   One might be able to get lather out of toothpaste if you add enough Speick.  And sorry, but dragging bottled water into the bath for a shave is further out than I'll go.  

The only thing keeping it around is the bowl - can't bear to bin such a nice container.   So, at least in the winter, I'll try once a month or so with the faintest of hopes that the lost lamb will appear.

51 539
 12-27-2016, 03:42 PM
User Info
Having just received my first puck of The Fat, I am optimistic. I look forward to trying it and reporting in.

10 1,048
 12-27-2016, 04:15 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Every time I'm about to order MWF I remember all the mixed reviews it gets and ultimately opt for something else. I may try it someday but with all the other great products out there it'll probably be a while.

2 523
 12-27-2016, 05:56 PM
User Info
It's a great soap and an old reliable, but with that said, I find Haslinger sheep to be similar if not better cause it loads a lot easier.

11 1,170
 12-27-2016, 06:41 PM
User Info
When I first got into this hobby I asked on another forum what they thought was the best puck of soap. The overwhelming answer was MWF. I tried it when I was still "puck lathering" it worked great then and now that I use a seperate lather bowl it works even better. If I had to live with just one puck of soap it would be MWF for sure. (For a soap stick it would be La Toja.)

5 1,800