08-10-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
I have read that in time most soaps will go bad(Cella will spoil, Tabac and Wool fat will dry out and crack ect...). My question is this, If in fact soaps will go bad why can I not Freeze them till I am read to use them. I know that each contains liquid that will expand when frozen and that some may crack but I do not see why this would be worse then leaving them out between uses. I think buy freezing these that they would last molecularity longer then the soaps just sitting. the reason I ask is that I have a Problem in which I acquire more soaps then I can really use(I shave once a week), and I hate to see these fine soaps go to waste
P.S please don't think I am selfish I could share these soaps but I really do not want to

0 10
 08-10-2012, 07:52 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I see no point in preserving soaps. There are talks on how to store it, some freeze, some just stick them in the fridge. I say, put them in some vacuum sealed bags and keep them in the closet.

88 4,233
 08-10-2012, 08:02 PM
User Info
Just use them and enjoy them. If they happen to go bad before you finish it, then throw it away and buy some more or something new.

31 7,914
 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
User Info
Someone with more scientific knowledge might have to explain why freezing isn't the best option, but you could try it. Also,
you could always use the older ones for the bath or shower. Therefore, they don't go to waste.
You could also try shaving more often.

75 20,883
 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I remember a guy on SMF had a refrigerator in his bathroom that was dedicated to shaving creams. Whatever floats your boat. Biggrin

45 16,345
 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM
User Info
They go bad? How long does that take?

9 2,988
 08-10-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
Just how long do you plan on storing them?

I'm currently using tallow soaps from the '70s and earlier and they have changed color and have lost much of their scent, but they work as well as they did when they were new.

Soft Italian soaps will change character, but just keep them cool (comfortable to your body) and in the dark and they should last for years. If you want to keep them in a refrigerator, as I do (for long term storage), that should be the best you can get. Keep them wrapped up or in a hermetically sealed container and you'll be good.

Freezing brings other untested factors into the equation; repeated thawing and freezing yet another factor. A freezer is incredibly dry and dessicating. You'd actually be increasing the aging process by using a freezer IMO. OK, if you froze it then vacuum packed it it would have the best chance of working. But it's still an unknown factor.

I'll get back to this thread in 10 years and let you know how the soaps in my cabinet made out; those that I currently have in use. About then I figure I'll start to use them up. Until then I'm not worrying about it.

Glycerine based soaps should have a long shelf life. Tallow soaps will change color, so will Soft Italian soaps. But they should remain useable for many years if you put them in lidded containers and store them as I suggested.

32 6,309
 08-11-2012, 05:39 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Except possibly for Cella, I wouldn't worry about it. We're talking years before many go bad, if at all. I've got glycerin and hard soaps going on 3 years and they are fine. I've also got some Cella in a tub that I bought 18 months ago and it's still good. If I was sitting on a brick of Cella I might refrigerate some of it. Freeze? No.

0 204
 08-11-2012, 05:55 AM
User Info
What actually happens to Cella when it goes bad? Ive had mine for 18 months or so and the only thing i notice is bumps on it.

9 333
 08-11-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
(08-10-2012, 09:22 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I remember a guy on SMF had a refrigerator in his bathroom that was dedicated to shaving creams. Whatever floats your boat. Biggrin

I wonder what my wife would say if I floated that idea to her. A6

0 241
 08-11-2012, 07:36 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
(08-11-2012, 05:55 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: What actually happens to Cella when it goes bad? Ive had mine for 18 months or so and the only thing i notice is bumps on it.

I had a sample go bad. Those small clear sample containers are definitely not for long term storage. It had to be in the back of a drawer for well over a year. It had dried up, gotten darker in color and smelled a little rancid. I decided to use it anyway, got a decent shave so I ordered a tub. I've had my tub longer than I had that sample and it's still good. I rarely use it anymore so one of these years I'll find out how long it takes Cella in a tub to go bad.

0 204
 08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I do not think personally it is a concern. I will probably use the soap up long before it could possibly go bad.

1 3,507
 08-11-2012, 08:51 PM
  • DanOK
  • Mustang, OK
User Info
I regularly use soap from the 60's and 70's with no problem. I just haven't had a problem with any of my soaps other that the really old ones losing scent.

0 56
 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
User Info
i wouldn't worry about it. if anything, the soap could lose its scent. i have 8 bowls of yardley and wrisley's from about 30 years ago that still perform really well. the scent is no longer there or is really faint. i would imagine the soaps made now will behave similarly over time, but with pyrex containers, you might be able to prevent the scent from being lost.

the soft soaps have hardened up for me but they still work fine. in fact i like when the soap gets a little hard.

same thing with creams. for me they harden up and become soft soaps. performance isn't affected.

8 118