12-28-2016, 11:09 PM
User Info
I have this really popular european artisan soap for about 2 months now, second hand. It smells fantastic, but the lather is not good at all. It's like to Williams, but even more difficult to lather and akin to how quickly it dissipates from the skin if left alone for a bit.

My question is, can soaps go bad? Cause this seems to be abnormal with this soap, with the kind of reviews it has gotten, I am leaning towards the belief that something isn't right with this particular puck. Any other tips or methods to "revive" or jumpstart this soap?

I never bloom my soaps but I did so, just to see if this soap would shine, but alas it's made minimal improvement. It's like trying to bleed a stone. I loaded it crazy long with a backbone galore brush but still it's lather is mediocre at best.

I don't have trouble lathering Williams, or MWF, I just use a different technique but this one baffles me. I don't have the habit of giving up, heck I even go back to razors that tortured me but I'm about to throw in the the towel for the first time.

Insights, gents?

11 1,149
 12-29-2016, 03:08 AM
User Info
What is it? Hard to help without knowing!

8 899
 12-29-2016, 03:18 AM
User Info
(12-29-2016, 03:08 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: What is it? Hard to help without knowing!

Hmm.. not sure I should, I don't wish to make the soap brand sound bad because it may very well be just this particular puck. I'll just pm you I guess.

11 1,149
 12-29-2016, 06:57 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-29-2016, 03:08 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: What is it? Hard to help without knowing!

Ditto this.

57 2,560
 12-29-2016, 07:40 AM
User Info
You may get more useful responses if you identify the soap.  If you're having lathering issues and are looking for advice to make the soap work for you, I don't think that naming the soap is harming the product's reputation.  Others who have used the soap may give you helpful comments.

48 5,729
 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM
User Info
My guess:
Tabula Rasa

Soft like a cream, without any preservation and can unfortunately turn bad quickly

Shame for me since I own 12 Tabula Rasa and with my rotation, perhaps use them each twice a year or less...

24 5,850
 12-29-2016, 08:46 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
My guess would be Jabonman soaps.

49 1,943
 12-29-2016, 09:30 AM
User Info
(12-29-2016, 08:46 AM)nikos.a Wrote: My guess would be Jabonman soaps.

My guess is possibly this, also.

Approximately 3-4 years ago, Manuel did have a faulty batch of coconut oil which resulted in dissipating lather and far from the quality for which his soaps are known. Manuel quickly responded, once known, and either refunded money or replaced the faulty soaps. I guess it is possible, being acquired secondhand, that this is one of those soaps.

Hopefully, the OP will name the soap brand, soon.

31 5,283
 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
User Info

(12-29-2016, 09:30 AM)Optometrist Wrote:

My guess is possibly this, also.

Approximately 3-4 years ago, Manuel did have a faulty batch of coconut oil which resulted in dissipating lather and far from the quality for which his soaps are known. Manuel quickly responded, once known, and either refunded money or replaced the faulty soaps. I guess it is possible, being acquired secondhand, that this is one of those soaps.

Hopefully, the OP will name the soap brand, soon.

You gents are right, Jabonman Eufros, in Siera scent.

I was wondering what's the matter with this particular puck, and this could be the reason why. This is exactly the problem, dissipating lather. It's easy to make proto-lather but most of it stays like that even when loaded heavily while being very mindful of the water.

Any technique to restart or revive this soap? Or lost cause?

11 1,149
 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM
User Info
The only real way to improve the lather is to have more soap in the brush, if this is not possible I'm not sure the performance of the soap can be improved.

60 1,412
 12-29-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
Jay, I had a couple of soaps using this duff coconut oil and advised Manuel, accordingly. In my experience, it is a lost cause. No amount of loading could override the issue.

31 5,283
 12-29-2016, 02:23 PM
User Info
boy our forum members sure know their stuff.  great thread

73 1,263
 12-29-2016, 02:29 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Those of us who purchased soaps from this 'dud' batch, received free replacements from Manuel at the time, and were instructed to dispose the 'dud' ones.
It's unfortunate that the OP somehow received one of these now on BST I presume.

102 18,557
 12-29-2016, 05:32 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-29-2016, 02:29 PM)Agravic Wrote: Those of us who purchased soaps from this 'dud' batch, received free replacements from Manuel at the time, and were instructed to dispose the 'dud' ones.
It's unfortunate that the OP somehow received one of these now on BST I presume.

Wow, if that is actually what happened, that's really poor behavior and I would vote to have that person banned from the forum unless a full refund including shipping was immediately offered. It is a privilege to stay here. Forgiveness, however, should be offered if that seller amends the act. People make mistakes, and it's their bad if they don't fix them.

I have GFT soaps that actually say they are PP-first but don't lather just like the SP-first ones (and I figured out that it is predicable by looking at the lot number), so I have them on BST "use as hand/body soaps" and price them accordingly. Cheap and great smelling.

57 2,560
 12-30-2016, 12:22 AM
User Info
That's alright bro's. This was practically a gift from a friend when I bought some other stuff, unfortunately if this was the case, I feel a bit bad too cause I know this friend also purchased this from someone else.

In any case I still have a couple of samples of Eufros to enjoy the way the artisan meant for it to be, I'm sure this soap brand is very good. I was just baffled by this particular puck. I suppose I can still use this for badger defunking or boar break-in, it's not a total loss.

Thanks gents for insights, I really appreciate it. Happy New Year!

11 1,149
 12-30-2016, 02:29 AM
User Info
Good to know there was no financial loss on your part, Jay, however, I agree that the original owner should never have passed it on, presumably knowing. I haven't been able to find it, but I'm sure Manuel posted somewhere on TSN regarding the issue.

31 5,283