01-01-2017, 06:13 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
My red tub of Cella is acquiring a brownish color. It lathers as profusely and shaves like it always has, but the scent is falling off, also. I've done nothing unusual with it; only lathered and used it.

Claus has posted that the large brick of Cella is different than the red tub and he rates it as better than the tub. How is it better and I wonder why? Is the formulation of the brick different than the red tub? 

My main gripe with Cella is a lack of slickness and now this browning, otherwise it's a good, inexpensive soap imo.

0 363
 01-01-2017, 06:23 AM
User Info
Slickness is  privileged problem in opinion , but the miss colouring could be some of the ingredients.if there is any natural ingredients in it that can cause it.

2 315
 01-01-2017, 07:50 AM
User Info
I have used my Cella from the red container all last year and it's still very clean looking and no discoloration, I even kept it in a fairly air tight container and only recently moved it to a ceramic bowl and it still looks new and clean.

6 1,337
 01-01-2017, 08:00 AM
User Info
As long as it's not offensive smelling I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't use Cella and never had the brick, but I have had the tub. I didn't care for the scent and used it very rarely. Until it turned. It went rancid and I discarded it. I'm pretty sure the people who own the brick keep it frozen or refrigerated.

Yours may just be dry. 

Your nose knows though.

9 1,410
 01-01-2017, 08:19 AM
User Info
I have never used the red tub.  I have the kilo block and it is great.  I have read a lot of posts from people who have both and they seem to like the block better.  It is my understanding that the block it used by many barbershops in Italy.  I have a few products used in European barbershops and they seem to lather and perform better.

0 253
 01-01-2017, 08:23 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(01-01-2017, 06:23 AM)TheRazor Wrote: Slickness is  privileged problem in opinion, ...
True, and I'm comparing its slickness with other favorite soaps. I can sneak in a touch-up or two right after the main pass with others; not Cella!
(01-01-2017, 08:00 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: Yours may just be dry. 
Quite moist, actually. Cella is more of a croap. It's moist enough to be unusuable as a shower soap. Really wonder about the formulation, though.

0 363
 01-01-2017, 08:46 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I suspect your Cella is in the process of going bad. I agree with you about the lack of slickness...I am definitely NOT a Cella Fella. Biggrin

46 18,348
 01-01-2017, 09:07 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
All Cella tubes will eventually acquire a yellowish/ light brown color after a few months. It's typical. The scent will also vanish. But, it will continue to perform nicely, nothing to worry about.

49 1,996
 01-01-2017, 10:05 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(01-01-2017, 08:46 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I suspect your Cella is in the process of going bad. I agree with you about the lack of slickness...I am definitely NOT a Cella Fella. Biggrin
Suspect that you are correct, Phil. Even if not going bad, there's so many others that offer the desired slickness and better maintain their scent, it's crazy to muddle along with this puck...
(01-01-2017, 09:07 AM)nikos.a Wrote: All Cella tubes will eventually acquire a yellowish/ light brown color after a few months. It's typical. The scent will also vanish. But, it will continue to perform nicely, nothing to worry about.
Not out much money to relieve myself of the responsibility of finishing the puck, so Verdict = Binned, Tossed, Trashed. RIP Cella!

0 363
 01-01-2017, 10:57 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have had a brick of Cella for about 5 years [kept refrigerated] and it also has developed a yellowish tinge.  The stuff still rocks and had not gone bad at all.  I don't know the reason for the yellowish color but I have no problem using it.  I'm not a scent guy so I don't care if the scent has diminished.

As far as slickness and protection I think Cella is excellent.  In general with all of my soaps, I have started loading my brush for longer than my usual 30s, and have started with a damp brush adding water bit by bit; and the results have been excellent. 

When I first started wetshaving I found the Cella red tub a bit difficult to get where I wanted.  So my early opinion was that the brick was also better than the tub.  However, I never did a side-by-side test, nor have I tried the tub since my technique has improved.

1 795
 01-01-2017, 01:45 PM
User Info
Mine also has a slightly brown top, but I didn't mind. It still performs as well as it did the first day. I just let the puck dry throughly, usually until the next day before I put the lid back on.

11 1,169
 01-03-2017, 08:49 AM
User Info
Mine did the same thing as well and its in an Ikea container that's airtight. I used it though it seems fine to me, it just lost its' looks with age. ( I feel its' pain) hahaaha

0 858
 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM
User Info
I got some Cella that I bought from another member. It is a light brown color and the scent is kind of weak. But I'm getting great shaves with it.

8 160