08-11-2012, 06:53 AM
User Info
Hello Fellas.

Yesterday I finally used a safety razor for the first time and the experience was interesting lol.

Was nervous, and I didnt go a good job which is expected as im trying to learn the best angle to use and what not, so not all of my face was BBS.

I did get some cuts and a small amount of razor burn but I took care of that.

Prep was warm shower, lather, hot moist towel for like a minute I dont even think that.

wet my face, apply lather, shave with the grain, "sideways", then against the grain and re applying lather before doing the next pass

now..im using the black plastic Wilkinsons sword with the razors it came with

My brush is a POS to say the least lol

and the shaving gel is from a can and is bad as well so thats where I did go wrong for now so I know I wont get the best results.

live and learn. Thanks for reading Biggrin thought i'd share and see what everyone has to say

0 16
 08-11-2012, 07:07 AM
User Info
Jimba,
I am only 6 months into DEs, but if I were going to give some quick advice it would be to not worry about against the grain for a long while. Spend a couple weeks doing just wtg. Then try across the grain for the second or third pass. After you feel you have mastered that, then try agt.

Welcome aboard.

5 298
 08-11-2012, 07:11 AM
User Info
Thanks for the advice man i appreciate it

0 16
 08-11-2012, 07:17 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Congrats and go slowly and follow the advice of the guys here.

Hubby started a few years ago after I bought him a DE. LOL he didn't have much of a choice to try it, but now he wouldn't go back to his electric if someone paid him! But the point is go slowly and learn. He didn't come to the forum for advice but just watched some mantic video's. He also got a nice big gash on his neck and the guys at work teased him he tried to slit his throat! Least to say he doesn't do that anymore and has learned to maneuver the razor really good now after some practice. Using a DE is a lot different than a cartridge or disposable, but it's also a whole lot better!

Next step is to get some good shaving soap/cream to use with your brush! Do you have any stores close that carry it, even VHD? Just don't go with Williams if you can find that in Canada. It's not good shaving soap at all.

7 405
 08-11-2012, 08:03 AM
User Info
Well, you started exactly where everyone starts...at the beginning with the first blade shave. We've all been there. From the sound of it you did well for the first shave.

There are many keys to a great shave, as a noob you have a few challenges, but the good news is that they can be overcome fairly easily. Some things to keep in mind.

a) If you have the possibility of chnaging your gear around in a search that hardware will give you a great shave- DON'T. Stay with the gear you have now. Or will have soon. If your brush doesn't work, change it. Definitely get some good "real" soap so that you can get real lather. Gel isn't terrible, it's just not what real lather should be.

b) The sooner you can make a great lather the sooner you'll get rid of one of the challenges to a great shave. When you get some shave soap practice making lather. You won't be wasting soap, you'll be saving your face. You can practice lathering in your hand or on your face. If you learn to face lather (I suggest it) your lathering becomes integral to your face prep. You want your lather dense and creamy, like a butter cake icing or yogurt in consistency. Not dry though. If your lather is spread out, as it would be for shaving it shouldn't dry out for at least a few minutes. It should last as long as it takes to make a pass. If it doesn't the solution is obvious. If your lather is bubbly it's got too much water, throw it out and try again.

c) Then the 3rd key is use a light hand on the razor. If you came to blades from cartridges this will probably be the most difficult thing to grasp. You'll get a much better shave with almost no pressure. If your skin is deforming under the razor it's too much pressure. At least at the beginning you will need to be aware of this at all times, in time it'll become second nature. With a mild razor bad angle will only give you a lousy shave. Pressure is what cuts you.

Some ideas for locally available products (assuming CONUS):

Bath and Body Works has Bigelow cream, it's a decent menthol cream (for lather). It's what I used this morning.

Rite Aid has RS brand soaps. I've never used them but have heard good things about them.

Natural food stores or Heath Food stores tend to carry Kiss My Face (KMF) creams. They are quite good.

Not the best brush, but they're OK, are the VDH brushes. Most people can find the VDH kit locally either in a supermarket or a pharmacy. Our local Hannaford supermarket and CVS pharmacy carry the kits and the brushes. They'll get you by until you figure out what you want, and you won't spend a lot.

But at this point don't go all nuts trying to swap gear in search of a better shave. What you need to develop are skills. After the skills develop comes the ability to have different gear and know what the gear changed either for the better or for the worse.

We'll help you all we can, so keep us in the loop.

32 6,308
 08-11-2012, 08:08 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
congratz on getting started!

Thank you for sharing your first experience with a DE razor.

Biggrin

9 1,684
 08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Congrats on joining the ranks of converts. Be patient, use very little pressure, have fun.

Suggestion blade sampler packs, are a great way to try a variety of blades.

1 3,507
 08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Another DE convert. Congratulations. Post your results in the SOTD section of this forum.

100 12,438
 08-11-2012, 09:25 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Congrats on your first DE shave! If I was giving one piece of advice it would be to get a good soap or cream ASAP. Now that your using a DE using the gel is like running unleaded in a Ferrari. I'm glad you joined us here and I hope you enjoy your transition to traditional wetshaving as much as I did.

45 3,955
 08-11-2012, 09:55 AM
User Info
(08-11-2012, 07:17 AM)krissy Wrote: Just don't go with Williams if you can find that in Canada. It's not good shaving soap at all.

Sez 'oo? Huh

0 554
 08-11-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
Yea i need a good saving kit ASAP lol

BTW dose it matter what you use health wise?

is going organic or natural ingredients really matter for over all health?

Also I wanna get a good brush and cost is not TOO much of a problem cos i want this one to last a looooooong time regardless if I still with DE or not. Id love to get a chubby (try not to laugh dirty minds ;p) but they are a lil too pricey lol

and im gonna get a sampler razor pack too but i will be sticking with my razor cos really learning the skill is more important then the hardware.

My whole first time was just to NOT get cut to pieces which i didnt lol

I just need to keep at it and take all your advice so thanks for being nice and informative means a lot thanks Biggrin

Now I just need to figure out what creams balms etc and brush to get...

0 16
 08-11-2012, 10:14 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
When it comes to organic and non-organic or even non-natural products that contain synthetic lather boosters is a matter of personal opinion. Some wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole while others have no issues using them. Read the ingredient list and learn what everything means if synthetic lather boosters are an issue for you. You can google the ingredients to learn what they do for the product. My own opinion is I have no issues using them including products with parabens. Because I have not seen any medical data to prove otherwise that they actually do cause cancer. To me it's the media causing a panic with some half/baked info. But please don't make that the topic of the thread as it's a hot topic for many and many have strong feelings about it.

But I also wanted to get a chubby Biggrin but didn't want to fork over the bucks for one and not like it. So this is the route that I took. I got this particular brush from penworks, it has similar measurements as the chubby. Close enough for me at least, and I love it! It's my favorite brush and I haven't gone back to spend the money on the chubby.
http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_p...cts_id=455

But if the handle is an issue for you you can save a few dollars and gone of of Tony's line that is similar.
http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_p...ath=25_158

He makes all kinds of brushes, so you might find one that fits your budget as well as your fancy.
http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_p...x&cPath=25

Getting a sampler pack of blades can really make a difference. That way you can learn what works the best for you and your beard. I know for the hubby that has changed some from when he first started to wet shave compared to now.

Soaps/creams.... the sky is the limit there and there are a lot of great options out there to pick from!!!!!! *sigh* there are several on my wish list that I have yet to pick up as well.

7 405
 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
Like others have said there are many reasonably priced shaving creams you can buy and try. Also the blade sampler is an excellent idea so you can find a blade that your face likes.

For a brush I would not go all out right away. Buy something in low price range and learn how to perfect a lather and use the brush on your face. As far as the razor goes start off with a merkur 23c. I think it is an excellent razor you can learn on (YouTube merkur 23c and there are plenty of videos showing techniques).

0 91
 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
Thanks im checking out the links now. Im a small fella in height and hands so thats why i like the chubby.

I was thinking of either going for a set of

Razo stuff

Castle Forbes

Or Proraso

0 16
 08-11-2012, 10:50 AM
User Info
Some great advice, here. Try to get yourself some better products which will help improve your shaves. Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-11-2012, 11:01 AM
User Info
(08-11-2012, 08:03 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Some ideas for locally available products (assuming CONUS):

Rite Aid has RS brand soaps. I've never used them but have heard good things about them.

I second Brian's recommendation of Real Shaving Company shaving cream available at Rite Aid in the USA. I've used it and it is great. Don't be fooled by the rinky-dink sounding name. It is a high quality product made by Creightons PLC in England, who does the actual manufacturing work for the top British firms. So they use the same base formula. The fact that it is easily available and inexpensive ($5) is a real plus.

15 316
 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM
User Info
im in canada so idk if its around here

most stores around my area dont have much so im really just limited to online stores

0 16
 08-11-2012, 01:50 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Jimba, on-line will open up whole new worlds for you so don't be afraid to go with reputable sellers. We have quite a few excellent and reliable ones right here on The Shave Nook.

As for brushes, there are many excellent low-mid priced brushes from name brands like Semogue, Vie-Long, Vulfix, and Omega to newcomers on the market like New Forest and Frank Shaving. I happen to have brushes from all of these vendors; none was expensive and each does a wonderful job. Within those brands I have boar, badger, horsehair, badger/boar blend, and horsehair/boar blend. Frankly, the shopping for the brush can be both educational and a heck of a lot of fun.

Good shaving soaps and creams are numerous on line. If you live near a Whole Foods store in your part of Canada, they have several shaving creams to choose from.

Thank you for sharing your first experience with us. As so many others here have said, it only gets better so enjoy! Thumbsup

2 11,211
 08-11-2012, 04:16 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
And the fun beginsSmile

Congratulations on your first DE shave, it only gets better.

0 197
 08-11-2012, 04:30 PM
User Info
I did my second one today, no cuts!! no burn BUT still a crappy shave lol though the shave was better lol

slowly but surely ill get their

0 16