07-22-2017, 05:37 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
Thought I'd put this here, I'm thinking of getting a straight razor and giving this a go. I have a question about stropping, I understand the leather side but why do you use the fabric side and how often do you use it? Every shave?

1 402
 Yesterday, 08:20 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I have shaved straight for quite some years, with a sprinkling of safety razor. Straight razor fatigue, however, as well arthritis in my shoulders and hands that limits some movements, more and more have forced me to turn to the safety razor. These days I shave straight mostly on the weekends and particularly on Sundays.

A well honed straight razor, whether modest or legendary, plus well crafted technique can produce a superb shave. Whether using a straight or safety, however, I have always had difficulty getting my desired shave on the neck, although, I must admit, the safety razor has given me a better shave in that area.

For me, it's always been comfort over perfect.

Both the straight and the safety razor give me equally good shaves, although these days, because of some physical limitations, the safety razor is easier to handle for the multi-directional movements on the neck. Do I prefer the straight razor over the safety? No, not really, because I take each form of shaving instrument for what it is.

As a side note, these days I also find myself moving closer to mid-aggressive safety razors with a pronounced blade feel. Go figure. For example, the first time I tried the Blackbird a few months ago I couldn't stand it because of excessive blade feel. Now I love it, and it is one of my top razors. The Sabre's blade feel pleases me, too. Of course, the Paradigm is still up there with its pleasing blade feel.

143 2,908