07-22-2017, 05:37 PM
User Info
Thought I'd put this here, I'm thinking of getting a straight razor and giving this a go. I have a question about stropping, I understand the leather side but why do you use the fabric side and how often do you use it? Every shave?

2 465
 07-23-2017, 08:20 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I have shaved straight for quite some years, with a sprinkling of safety razor. Straight razor fatigue, however, as well arthritis in my shoulders and hands that limits some movements, more and more have forced me to turn to the safety razor. These days I shave straight mostly on the weekends and particularly on Sundays.

A well honed straight razor, whether modest or legendary, plus well crafted technique can produce a superb shave. Whether using a straight or safety, however, I have always had difficulty getting my desired shave on the neck, although, I must admit, the safety razor has given me a better shave in that area.

For me, it's always been comfort over perfect.

Both the straight and the safety razor give me equally good shaves, although these days, because of some physical limitations, the safety razor is easier to handle for the multi-directional movements on the neck. Do I prefer the straight razor over the safety? No, not really, because I take each form of shaving instrument for what it is.

As a side note, these days I also find myself moving closer to mid-aggressive safety razors with a pronounced blade feel. Go figure. For example, the first time I tried the Blackbird a few months ago I couldn't stand it because of excessive blade feel. Now I love it, and it is one of my top razors. The Sabre's blade feel pleases me, too. Of course, the Paradigm is still up there with its pleasing blade feel.

150 3,037
 08-01-2017, 02:46 AM
User Info
I get very nice results with a good DE and an efficient blade, but a well honed nicely maintained straight razor still has an edge ? over all other shaves.
I tried SE razors but I am not a fan of these.

For my shaves I most of the time use both DE for most of my face, straight for the contours of my goatee, sideburns, finishing, and those spots where nothing gives better results than a straight.

This routine gives me the best effortless results and satisfaction.

When I have the time, I enjoy a nice complete straight razor shave.

0 48
 08-01-2017, 05:06 AM
User Info
I started with a murker 34c.  I never really liked it and went all out and bought an ATT SE1.  I love that razor.  I recommend an SE.  They are a little stiffer for me and get a better shave with less chatter.

0 166
 08-01-2017, 01:36 PM
User Info
I shaved with a straight for years, about two months ago started DE.

For me, the benefit of the straight shave is that it is COMPLETELY non-irritating to my face. Easy 2 pass BBS/DFS with zero irritation. 

DE I get just as close of a shave, but have to be very careful with my lower neck line, or I get irritation. Still perfecting DE technique, however.

0 21
 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM
User Info
When I have the time I go W-XTG with a str8 and finish with a mixed ATG with str8 and safety and safety touch up. Setup and cleanup is what's time consuming really, but the results are fenomenal.

8 1,129