07-22-2017, 05:37 PM
User Info
Thought I'd put this here, I'm thinking of getting a straight razor and giving this a go. I have a question about stropping, I understand the leather side but why do you use the fabric side and how often do you use it? Every shave?

2 465
 07-23-2017, 08:20 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I have shaved straight for quite some years, with a sprinkling of safety razor. Straight razor fatigue, however, as well arthritis in my shoulders and hands that limits some movements, more and more have forced me to turn to the safety razor. These days I shave straight mostly on the weekends and particularly on Sundays.

A well honed straight razor, whether modest or legendary, plus well crafted technique can produce a superb shave. Whether using a straight or safety, however, I have always had difficulty getting my desired shave on the neck, although, I must admit, the safety razor has given me a better shave in that area.

For me, it's always been comfort over perfect.

Both the straight and the safety razor give me equally good shaves, although these days, because of some physical limitations, the safety razor is easier to handle for the multi-directional movements on the neck. Do I prefer the straight razor over the safety? No, not really, because I take each form of shaving instrument for what it is.

As a side note, these days I also find myself moving closer to mid-aggressive safety razors with a pronounced blade feel. Go figure. For example, the first time I tried the Blackbird a few months ago I couldn't stand it because of excessive blade feel. Now I love it, and it is one of my top razors. The Sabre's blade feel pleases me, too. Of course, the Paradigm is still up there with its pleasing blade feel.

175 3,602
 08-01-2017, 02:46 AM
User Info
I get very nice results with a good DE and an efficient blade, but a well honed nicely maintained straight razor still has an edge ? over all other shaves.
I tried SE razors but I am not a fan of these.

For my shaves I most of the time use both DE for most of my face, straight for the contours of my goatee, sideburns, finishing, and those spots where nothing gives better results than a straight.

This routine gives me the best effortless results and satisfaction.

When I have the time, I enjoy a nice complete straight razor shave.

0 50
 08-01-2017, 05:06 AM
User Info
I started with a murker 34c.  I never really liked it and went all out and bought an ATT SE1.  I love that razor.  I recommend an SE.  They are a little stiffer for me and get a better shave with less chatter.

0 327
 08-01-2017, 01:36 PM
User Info
I shaved with a straight for years, about two months ago started DE.

For me, the benefit of the straight shave is that it is COMPLETELY non-irritating to my face. Easy 2 pass BBS/DFS with zero irritation. 

DE I get just as close of a shave, but have to be very careful with my lower neck line, or I get irritation. Still perfecting DE technique, however.

0 22
 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM
User Info
When I have the time I go W-XTG with a str8 and finish with a mixed ATG with str8 and safety touch up. Setup and cleanup is what's time consuming really, but the results are fenomenal.

9 1,443
 01-20-2018, 12:51 PM
User Info
One is like checkers the other is like chess. I’ll let you guess which is which.

0 22
 01-21-2018, 12:21 AM
User Info
I find a straight to be smoother and closer than a DE, with almost no irritation.  Thats why Im such a big fan of the Feather Artist Club.  IMO, it combines the ease of maintenance of a DE with better results than a traditional straight because a Feather is like the most perfectly honed straight in the world.  Not to mention the blades last about twice as long as a DE does.

0 96
 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
For me it is not a straight razor vs. double-edge thing.  I use both now on every shave.  It's like using hand tools.  You don't have to make one tool do it all.  I have different razors of both types, but have come to have a favorite now of each.  I have a Merkur 34c with the Feather blades that I use for the first pass on my face.  My 2nd pass is with a Feather SS with the Pro blade.  I like using the SS with the Japanese style straight handle.  It just works best for me.  Anyway, I then just hit any remaining areas that are not BBS with the Merkur again for a 3rd pass.  

I find that different areas of my face are best with one or the other tool.  When I combine my shave with both razors, I end up with such a comfortable shave.  And it doesn't take long to complete this 3-pass shave.  I do this every morning before work... I deeply enjoy my shaves now.  Sometimes I swap my other razors into the mix instead of these and that is fun.  But my favorite is the Merkur/SS combo shave.  It is amazing (to me anyway) how close/smooth my face is each and every day now.  And I never cut/nick myself anymore, and never have any irritation.  It just feels sooooo good all day.

My routine now is to use a bit of EV olive oil pre and post shave.  I shower, then lay a base of olive oil on my face.  Then I use my own shaving soap that I make:

20% Castor Oil
20% Palm Oil
20% Shea Butter
40% Stearic Acid

This is made with 100% coconut milk instead of water.  It has ~10% superfat.  It has a sandalwood/vanilla fragrance oil with just a dash of peppermint oil (my wife likes the fragrance on me... in fact she makes me keep my soap stash in her closet so it smells so nice).  Anyway, I'm now a multi-tool guy when I shave.  I like the DE/SR combo now :-)

0 29
 02-22-2018, 12:30 PM
User Info
(02-22-2018, 09:40 AM)JABF99 Wrote: For me it is not a straight razor vs. double-edge thing.  I use both now on every shave.  It's like using hand tools.  You don't have to make one tool do it all.  I have different razors of both types, but have come to have a favorite now of each.  I have a Merkur 34c with the Feather blades that I use for the first pass on my face.  My 2nd pass is with a Feather SS with the Pro blade.  I like using the SS with the Japanese style straight handle.  It just works best for me.  Anyway, I then just hit any remaining areas that are not BBS with the Merkur again for a 3rd pass.  

I find that different areas of my face are best with one or the other tool.  When I combine my shave with both razors, I end up with such a comfortable shave.  And it doesn't take long to complete this 3-pass shave.  I do this every morning before work... I deeply enjoy my shaves now.  Sometimes I swap my other razors into the mix instead of these and that is fun.  But my favorite is the Merkur/SS combo shave.  It is amazing (to me anyway) how close/smooth my face is each and every day now.  And I never cut/nick myself anymore, and never have any irritation.  It just feels sooooo good all day.

My routine now is to use a bit of EV olive oil pre and post shave.  I shower, then lay a base of olive oil on my face.  Then I use my own shaving soap that I make:

20% Castor Oil
20% Palm Oil
20% Shea Butter
40% Stearic Acid

This is made with 100% coconut milk instead of water.  It has ~10% superfat.  It has a sandalwood/vanilla fragrance oil with just a dash of peppermint oil (my wife likes the fragrance on me... in fact she makes me keep my soap stash in her closet so it smells so nice).  Anyway, I'm now a multi-tool guy when I shave.  I like the DE/SR combo now :-)
Interesting.  Did you try the folding version of the SS and decide you liked the kamisori version better?  Or did you start with the kamisori version and it just seemed to click for you?

3 1,911
 02-22-2018, 01:15 PM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
(02-22-2018, 12:30 PM)kingfisher Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 09:40 AM)JABF99 Wrote: For me it is not a straight razor vs. double-edge thing.  I use both now on every shave.  It's like using hand tools.  You don't have to make one tool do it all.  I have different razors of both types, but have come to have a favorite now of each.  I have a Merkur 34c with the Feather blades that I use for the first pass on my face.  My 2nd pass is with a Feather SS with the Pro blade.  I like using the SS with the Japanese style straight handle.  It just works best for me.  Anyway, I then just hit any remaining areas that are not BBS with the Merkur again for a 3rd pass.  

20% Castor Oil
20% Palm Oil
20% Shea Butter
40% Stearic Acid

Interesting.  Did you try the folding version of the SS and decide you liked the kamisori version better?  Or did you start with the kamisori version and it just seemed to click for you?

I started with the Kamisori version, so it's probably just a matter of being used to that style.  If I had started with a folding SR perhaps I would prefer that over the SS.  I should add that I am a pretty new to using the traditional straight razor, and I do enjoy it also (very much so).   Both razors are amazing.  But I still like a DE too.  The Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum blades are what I use in the DE, and I like them a lot.  I use the Feather Professional blades in the SS and like them a lot also.  I had a rocky start to using the shavette.  It didn't go well at first.  But once I got used to it, I absolutely love using it.  

There are times I do use one razor for the entire shave.  But especially during the week when I'm limited with my time before going to work, I find the 3-pass thing (DE, SS, DE) works fast, yet gives me an amazing shave.  I can't go that fast with a 3-pass straight razor.  Not yet anyway.  Maybe with time I will though.  Like I said, I'm pretty new to all of this.

Ultimately I think I am going to get a straight razor made by Jerry Stark, but with a straight handle, rather than a folding handle.  He has one style that looks amazing to me.  I just need to sweet-talk my good wife into letting me buy one.  In our family budget system we have to have the other's okay for bigger expenses like this.  I have a big milestone birthday coming up later this year and I'll bet she lets me get the custom razor :-)

0 29
 09-16-2018, 05:49 PM
User Info
I believe it comes down to personal preference, I do get closer shaves with my straights but for me is more matter of time,
Straights usually take little more time (at least for me) than DE.
And also involves more maintenance on the long run, I usually use DE in the mornings when I’m short on time and straights when I have little time to spare, believe me you don’t wanna use a shave ready straight in a hurry.
It’s two different worlds or flavors I don’t think is a straight answer for this in which one is better.
Like I said it comes down to a personal preference,
My advice: take the best out of the two worlds !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 88
 09-21-2018, 08:30 AM
User Info
I get a closer shave with SEs and DEs than I do with my straight razors, but straight razor shaving seems to be the gentlest way of shaving for me.  So, for now, I use a straight razor 6 days a week and something else on Sunday (yes, I shave every day).

3 1,911
 09-23-2018, 02:58 AM
User Info
I haven't used my Gillette Slim Twist in three years. My Henckels Friodur 6/8 square point and Dr. Balfanz (Dorko) 6/8 round point give incredibly great shaves that I've forgotten I actually own a DE safety razor. To me straight razors give a much closer shave than a DE safety razor. 

I mean I can do anything with my straights including shave sideways, left to right, right to left in the neck area and get really comfortable close shaves with them. All it takes is practice, practice and more practice, and oh yeah, an ounce of courage, especially when you're still starting. Enjoy your shave guys and have a great day.

0 19
 09-23-2018, 05:03 PM
User Info
I get a better shave with a double-edged safety razor, though thoroughly enjoy shaving with a straight.  Matter of fact, I think I'll do so now.

0 65
 09-24-2018, 03:31 AM
User Info
(09-23-2018, 02:58 AM)Dachsmith Wrote: I haven't used my Gillette Slim Twist in three years. My Henckels Friodur 6/8 square point and Dr. Balfanz (Dorko) 6/8 round point give incredibly great shaves that I've forgotten I actually own a DE safety razor. To me straight razors give a much closer shave than a DE safety razor. 

I mean I can do anything with my straights including shave sideways, left to right, right to left in the neck area and get really comfortable close shaves with them. All it takes is practice, practice and more practice, and oh yeah, an ounce of courage, especially when you're still starting. Enjoy your shave guys and have a great day.

Who do I practice, practice, practice on ? I fear I don't have enough blood or flesh to do this on my own face.
I could never put a straight razor to MY throat . I respect those brave men who do...…. Bow 
I am not one. I find comfort, even in the name, Safety Razor..... Cheers

0 750
 09-24-2018, 05:56 PM
User Info
Haha! No. Shaving with a straight razor is really not that difficult. More like learning to ride a bicycle. Difficult at first but once learned you never forget and becomes second nature. 

When putting a straight razor to your face the first time, do it spine first. Touch your cheek with the spine of your razor. Gently roll the spine until the razor lies flat on your face. Lift the spine just a tiny bit and drag the blade gently down your face. That's it! Now rinse your straight razor, dry it and put it away. Finish the shave with your favorite safety razor.

0 19
 09-24-2018, 06:34 PM
User Info
(09-24-2018, 05:56 PM)Dachsmith Wrote: Haha! No. Shaving with a straight razor is really not that difficult. More like learning to ride a bicycle. Difficult at first but once learned you never forget and becomes second nature. 

When putting a straight razor to your face the first time, do it spine first. Touch your cheek with the spine of your razor. Gently roll the spine until the razor lies flat on your face. Lift the spine just a tiny bit and drag the blade gently down your face. That's it! Now rinse your straight razor, dry it and put it away. Finish the shave with your favorite safety razor.

Lmao !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 88
 09-25-2018, 07:52 AM
User Info
It baffles me that so many people say they get a closer shave with a straight. 

For me, reduction with my straight razor is not as good as with a safety razor.  I have to do more passes to get to the same level of closeness. 

The benefit, for me, is gentleness, not closeness.  Irritation is less common with the straight.  If all I wanted was a close shave, I would go back to DE, to be honest.

3 1,911
 09-25-2018, 02:08 PM
User Info
(09-25-2018, 07:52 AM)kingfisher Wrote: It baffles me that so many people say they get a closer shave with a straight. 

For me, reduction with my straight razor is not as good as with a safety razor.  I have to do more passes to get to the same level of closeness. 

The benefit, for me, is gentleness, not closeness.  Irritation is less common with the straight.  If all I wanted was a close shave, I would go back to DE, to be honest.

I get much more immediate feedback from my straight razors than my DE's. I know a lot of people will disagree with that but that is how it is for me.

A straight razor gives me full control with regard to blade angle, direction, grip technique and even pressure. Depending on how you well you've mastered these variables you can control the closeness of a straight razor shave. For example, when going ATG I would reduce the blade angle to about 20 degrees and employ a scything motion while stretching my skin well for that extra closeness in shave. 

The direct tactile feedback you get from a straight razor tells you if what you're doing is right or wrong. I get more weepers shaving with a DE razor and almost none with a straight razor. YMMV!

0 19