01-03-2017, 04:27 PM
User Info
Now that Larry has announced he will retire his Select line v1 & v2 as well as his Oliva line, which all in my opinion were fantastic shaving soaps, I think it's time to make a new thread for Cold River Soap Works and Larry's new product line with the new plastic containers, which will mark a new start for Larry and CRSW.

I for one look forward to trying his new soap formula.

I was a huge fan of the Oliva and Select v2 line, but also really enjoyed the Select v1 line.

What can we expect from Larry's new shaving soaps and how will the new plastic containers present themselves ?

Only time will tell, but I'm pretty sure CRSW shaving soaps will continue to impress in the new year of 2017  Thumbsup

Old retired Select line presentation:
[Image: 1318392_orig.jpg]

New soap base formula with essential oils in the new plastic container:

[Image: juniper-soapgoodsmall_orig.jpg]

24 5,962
 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM
User Info
The base for the new shaving soap is as follows, taken from the CRSW website:

Ingredients: Potassium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Potassium Garcina Indica (Kokum) Butter, Potassium Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Sodium Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Fragrance *(Essential Oils), Sodium Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Potassium Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Lanolin, Kaolin, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Lactate, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein

24 5,962
 01-03-2017, 05:06 PM
User Info
Thanks for getting the 2017 thread going!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

3 337
 01-03-2017, 06:07 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
It's just such a weird transition, the old look was very masculine and classy looking and just over night it turns very feminine and modern in its packaging. I don't get that, make the move to plastic, that's fine but keep that cool classy masculine look, the move to those aftershave pump bottle just seem so weird, that's just my thought on this.

2 455
 01-03-2017, 06:21 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-03-2017, 06:07 PM)iShave Wrote: It's just such a weird transition, the old look was very masculine and classy looking and just over night it turns very feminine and modern in its packaging. I don't get that, make the move to plastic, that's fine but keep that cool classy masculine look, the move to those aftershave pump bottle just seem so weird, that's just my thought on this.

No comment.
Actually, I will say this. It's weird that we all obsess about all things shaving; so be it. The color or pattern of a package is insignificant IMO, in terms of the bigger picture.
Change is inevitable. Nothing is static in this world. I'm amused at the angst people are experiencing here, not even having a chance to try the new CRSW product.
RELAX!
I am looking forward to experiencing the latest CRSW offering, and implicitly trust Larry i.e. I respect his talents.

102 18,647
 01-03-2017, 06:27 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I want the OLIVA back, and you can put it in a ziplock bag if you want.

59 2,802
 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
(01-03-2017, 06:21 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 06:07 PM)iShave Wrote: It's just such a weird transition, the old look was very masculine and classy looking and just over night it turns very feminine and modern in its packaging. I don't get that, make the move to plastic, that's fine but keep that cool classy masculine look, the move to those aftershave pump bottle just seem so weird, that's just my thought on this.

No comment.
Actually, I will say this. It's weird that we all obsess about all things shaving; so be it. The color or pattern of a package is insignificant IMO, in terms of the bigger picture.
Change is inevitable. Nothing is static in this world. I'm amused at the angst people are experiencing here, not even having a chance to try the new CRSW product.
RELAX!
I am looking forward to experiencing the latest CRSW offering, and implicitly trust Larry i.e. I respect his talents.

I don't have a problem with change, companies need to make changes.

2 455
 01-03-2017, 06:31 PM
User Info
I think I've gotten all my angst out now. I'll just sit back and wait to see what happens with this new stuff. I just can't believe that Larry discontinued stuff that he literally introduced months ago. There has to be some endgame here. Looking forward to seeing what it is.

2 342
 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info

No comment.
RELAX!

I agree. As the niche industry develops, positive change is inevitable and welcome. I know folks don't like their cheese moved, but I'll betcha, dimes to donuts, in a year no one will remember V2 Select or Olivia. I've only been in this game for about 30 months, but the shape-shifting is noticeable month by month. Just look at who the cutting-edge soap makers were a year ago--some remain, and others don't. Memories are short, and I'm sure the new CSRW products will be awesome, as were the old. Good luck to the vendor, whose products have been, and I'm confident will remain, awesome.

6 345
 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM
User Info
(01-03-2017, 06:27 PM)Nero Wrote: I want the OLIVA back, and you can put it in a ziplock bag of you want.
Lol. Nice

2 342
 01-03-2017, 11:21 PM
User Info
(01-03-2017, 06:32 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:

No comment.
RELAX!

I agree. As the niche industry develops, positive change is inevitable and welcome. I know folks don't like their cheese moved, but I'll betcha, dimes to donuts, in a year no one will remember V2 Select or Olivia. I've only been in this game for about 30 months, but the shape-shifting is noticeable month by month. Just look at who the cutting-edge soap makers were a year ago--some remain, and others don't. Memories are short, and I'm sure the new CSRW products will be awesome, as were the old. Good luck to the vendor, whose products have been, and I'm confident will remain, awesome.

You'd lose that bet many times over, as I have enough v2 and Olivia to last me past a year. Secondly - Olivia was an excellently designed niche product; people won't forget it easily.

27 1,072
 01-04-2017, 01:00 AM
User Info
(01-03-2017, 11:21 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 06:32 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 06:21 PM)Agravic Wrote: No comment.
RELAX!

You'd lose that bet many times over, as I have enough v2 and Olivia to last me past a year. Secondly - Olivia was an excellently designed niche product; people won't forget it easily.
I'll second that

2 342
 01-04-2017, 01:47 AM
User Info
I am starting to face a reality that likely we won't be getting anymore Select or Oliva line in the future, scent maybe. Looking forward, I am sure the new formula will be excellent and I can't wait to try them.

0 176
 01-04-2017, 04:31 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Though I'm not sure I know what a "jilted bride" feels like, I think I feel like one in this case. And, I'm ok with change, but there I was standing in the doorway to Larry's site the other day to make a purchase of "Citrus" and "Barber Shop" based on my first experience with "Limenthol" and the recommendations of others whose judgment is similar to mine. Finding the door closed to the site, there was nothing to do but put my C.C. back in my wallet, return home and wait for the first reports on the new line-up or try competetive products. Jilted... Right?

0 363
 01-04-2017, 06:56 AM
User Info
Not a fan of the change, soaps containers look very generic now. All the selects I tried irritated my face, Oliva was the only soap from Larry I could use and I love it. Very sad to see it go, was an excellent soap.

0 57
 01-04-2017, 06:59 AM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 04:31 AM)beamon Wrote: Though I'm not sure I know what a "jilted bride" feels like, I think I feel like one in this case. And, I'm ok with change, but there I was standing in the doorway to Larry's site the other day to make a purchase of "Citrus" and "Barber Shop" based on my first experience with "Limenthol" and the recommendations of others whose judgment is similar to mine. Finding the door closed to the site, there was nothing to do but put my C.C. back in my wallet, return home and wait for the first reports on the new line-up or try competetive products. Jilted... Right?

Maybe.  

But what if your new bride is a 10 and the one who didn't show up was a 7?   Oh, and smart and compassionate, too.  

Only time will tell.  Given the history of Larry and his products and also the ingredients list of the new soap base, I doubt anybody is going to be too disappointed in the performance of the new soap.  And his scents have always been incredibly well blended.  There will likely also be new scents on the horizon, but who knows?

2 1,448
 01-04-2017, 08:42 AM
User Info
I have and enjoy several CRSW soaps and aftershave products, I especially like Replenish and Nourish (not sure about the names at the moment). The new site looks very well thought out and beautifully designed. I can only imagine that the products will be excellent and well received.  Nice work Larry and Audrey.

10 1,665
 01-04-2017, 09:08 AM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
I also prefer the old look with anti-rusting tin cans, I am glad to have a good stash of the old line and looking forward to the new line.

5 118
 01-04-2017, 09:51 AM
User Info
I didnt even get a chance to try his 2016 soap yet. Sad

0 57
 01-04-2017, 09:54 AM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
(01-04-2017, 09:51 AM)JesusShaves Wrote: I didnt even get a chance to try his 2016 soap yet. Sad

I am sure you can find one on BST here eventually.

Great soaps, the Olivia line will be missed.

5 118