0 56
 07-04-2017, 05:58 AM
User Info
Wonder if it's like Bois Florax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 26
 07-05-2017, 02:48 AM
User Info
Anyone tried the Original series? Performance, scent strength and hardness?

1 12
 07-05-2017, 05:52 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 02:48 AM)zenny Wrote: Anyone tried the Original series? Performance, scent strength and hardness?

I have Provence and I think it is wonderful.  This vegan formula lathers quicker and easier than PAA or Catie's.  It is slick with ample cushion.  It is my favorite vegan option and rivals many tallow soaps as well.  It is about the same hardness at PAA which is a little softer than Catie's.

Provence is also one of my favorite scented soaps.  Lavender, rosemary, and mint.  This is pretty much the same scent at MDC Original but CRSW has a touch of menthol.  This is a welcomed addition that makes the soap an absolute joy to use.

0 19
 07-05-2017, 07:26 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 05:52 PM)Piker Wrote: Provence is also one of my favorite scented soaps.  Lavender, rosemary, and mint.  This is pretty much the same scent at MDC Original but CRSW has a touch of menthol.  This is a welcomed addition that makes the soap an absolute joy to use.

That sounds like Savon #1 or #2 from when CRSW first started making soaps.

23 663
 07-07-2017, 02:28 AM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 05:52 PM)Piker Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 02:48 AM)zenny Wrote: Anyone tried the Original series? Performance, scent strength and hardness?

I have Provence and I think it is wonderful.  This vegan formula lathers quicker and easier than PAA or Catie's.  It is slick with ample cushion.  It is my favorite vegan option and rivals many tallow soaps as well.  It is about the same hardness at PAA which is a little softer than Catie's.

Provence is also one of my favorite scented soaps.  Lavender, rosemary, and mint.  This is pretty much the same scent at MDC Original but CRSW has a touch of menthol.  This is a welcomed addition that makes the soap an absolute joy to use.

Thanks for the review. Have you tried Savon 1 before? I recently finished it and wonder how they compare.

1 12
 07-07-2017, 02:40 AM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 05:52 PM)Piker Wrote:

I'd agree, this is one of the better veggie formulas out there - lathers very quickly and easily, plenty of cushion, very good scent strength (I have the Citrus), excellent post-shave, rivaling some of my better tallow soaps.

Hardness on the Citrus is very good (similar to MdC).  The puck of Barcelona I had was significantly softer.

54 1,205
 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
Anyone know where they get their new containers from?

0 18
 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(10-16-2017, 02:01 PM)anomaly1985 Wrote: Anyone know where they get their new containers from?

You could try to email Larry. He is quick to respond and may share the source with you.

59 4,568
 10-16-2017, 03:54 PM
User Info
(10-16-2017, 02:01 PM)anomaly1985 Wrote: Anyone know where they get their new containers from?

Parkway Plastics.  I posted a link in another thread to another (similar) question, and it got zapped.

13 523
 11-14-2017, 03:33 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I may not participate that much lately because my free time is very limited, but I'm still shaving every other day. 8 out of 10 times I choose to shave with my CRSW v.2 soaps. I'm that satisfied and I come to the conclusion at the end of each shave that all I need is a great shave and these soaps provide me with one. I still haven't tried the latest formulation, but I'm very glad that Larry brought back the old great scents. No 1 and Fougere Moderne are on the top of my preference list these days.

49 2,007
 11-15-2017, 06:29 AM
User Info
I agree. CRSW is among the best performing shave soaps. The Select has it all going for it. Slick, thick, creamy, protection and fantastic post shave. Some of the best scents in the biz IMO.

Have heard about a new soap? Base? It's been a while since I saw any remarks about it. Does anybody know anything? Tallow? Vegan? I'm super curious!

0 52
 11-18-2017, 08:51 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Ordered Cypress and Savonarola #1 . Love the Bois Floraux and will miss it when I get through the container. Time to move on!

19 745
 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM
User Info
I used one of these (Spiced Amber) the other day for the first time in awhile. I thought it was great. But he lost me with the different changes in packaging and formulas. I have a bunch of the older ones in the tin with the black label. Then I bought four in the white tubs with the white labels -- but those didn't last long. Now, I'm not sure of the current iteration. I'm sure it's excellent but I didn't like the consistent changing. I know it's his prerogative to change it up as much as he wants, but it feels to me like a little bit of a money grab. Plus I end up feeling like I've got the lesser formula (after I've invested in multiple tubs). But he really has made a very good product in all the various formulas that I've tried, so maybe it's a little sour grapes on my part.

3 769
 11-18-2017, 04:42 PM
User Info
CRSW is not the only one to change formulas, labels, packaging, etc. Most every other artisan soapmaker does or has. But Larry does seem to catch the brunt of the complaining though.

0 154
 11-18-2017, 05:19 PM
User Info
(11-18-2017, 01:01 PM)UngerWoo Wrote: I used one of these (Spiced Amber) the other day for the first time in awhile. I thought it was great. But he lost me with the different changes in packaging and formulas. I have a bunch of the older ones in the tin with the black label. Then I bought four in the white tubs with the white labels -- but those didn't last long. Now, I'm not sure of the current iteration. I'm sure it's excellent but I didn't like the consistent changing. I know it's his prerogative to change it up as much as he wants, but it feels to me like a little bit of a money grab. Plus I end up feeling like I've got the lesser formula (after I've invested in multiple tubs). But he really has made a very good product in all the various formulas that I've tried, so maybe it's a little sour grapes on my part.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I strongly take exception to you calling my incremental improvements a ‘money grab’.

A money grab would be Limited Editions, Seasonals, etc produced in limited quantities to create a frenzy to boost sales in a short amount of time. In the past we did offer four Seasonal soaps but not in a limited quantity but usually for a period of two months. We still would get complaints from people who did not purchase the soaps while they were available. I don’t enjoy disappointing our wet shaving friends so stopped even the Seasonal releases.

Our business model is simple, produce the best shaving soap and related shaving products we are capable of at fair prices. Provide good customer service and ship products in a timely manner.

If we were in this solely for the money we would not turn down every offer from retailers to carry our products such as West Coast Shaving, Maggards, Italian Barber along with literally every other shaving retailer you have ever heard of and many more you haven’t.

If this was a ‘money grab’ we wouldn’t offer our customers in the USA free shipping.

If making a buck were our only concern we wouldn’t support various fundraising efforts. Or take the initiative to spearhead our own like raising and donating all of the proceeds for our fundraiser “Jeff’s Soap” where we were able to raise close to $2,000 with the help of our generous friends and customers.

Our changes that you and others are so critical of are very often a direct result from customer feedback. We improved our SELCT formula and called it V.2 and LOWERED the price. We listened to our customers who wanted plastic jars instead of tins and tried new labeling and packaging using plastic jars along with a small improvement to the soap. Our customers wanted the older scents brought back and were not fond of the new look, we obliged.

Any older CRSW shaving soap no matter what version or packaging is not an “inferior” soap. It does not perform worse than it did previously because we made improvements.

We will not stop evolving and improving, our customers deserve the very best products and services we can possibly offer!

4 939
 11-18-2017, 06:23 PM
User Info
(11-18-2017, 05:19 PM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 01:01 PM)UngerWoo Wrote: I used one of these (Spiced Amber) the other day for the first time in awhile. I thought it was great. But he lost me with the different changes in packaging and formulas. I have a bunch of the older ones in the tin with the black label. Then I bought four in the white tubs with the white labels -- but those didn't last long. Now, I'm not sure of the current iteration. I'm sure it's excellent but I didn't like the consistent changing. I know it's his prerogative to change it up as much as he wants, but it feels to me like a little bit of a money grab. Plus I end up feeling like I've got the lesser formula (after I've invested in multiple tubs). But he really has made a very good product in all the various formulas that I've tried, so maybe it's a little sour grapes on my part.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I strongly take exception to you calling my incremental improvements a ‘money grab’.

A money grab would be Limited Editions, Seasonals, etc produced in limited quantities to create a frenzy to boost sales in a short amount of time. In the past we did offer four Seasonal soaps but not in a limited quantity but usually for a period of two months. We still would get complaints from people who did not purchase the soaps while they were available. I don’t enjoy disappointing our wet shaving friends so stopped even the Seasonal releases.

Our business model is simple, produce the best shaving soap and related shaving products we are capable of at fair prices. Provide good customer service and ship products in a timely manner.

If we were in this solely for the money we would not turn down every offer from retailers to carry our products such as West Coast Shaving, Maggards, Italian Barber along with literally every other shaving retailer you have ever heard of and many more you haven’t.

If this was a ‘money grab’ we wouldn’t offer our customers in the USA free shipping.

If making a buck were our only concern we wouldn’t support various fundraising efforts. Or take the initiative to spearhead our own like raising and donating all of the proceeds for our fundraiser “Jeff’s Soap” where we were able to raise close to $2,000 with the help of our generous friends and customers.

Our changes that you and others are so critical of are very often a direct result from customer feedback. We improved our SELCT formula and called it V.2 and LOWERED the price. We listened to our customers who wanted plastic jars instead of tins and tried new labeling and packaging using plastic jars along with a small improvement to the soap. Our customers wanted the older scents brought back and were not fond of the new look, we obliged.

Any older CRSW shaving soap no matter what version or packaging is not an “inferior” soap. It does not perform worse than it did previously because we made improvements.

We will not stop evolving and improving, our customers deserve the very best products and services we can possibly offer!

Well said !  And no matter what you can't please everyone all the time. You have amazing soaps, fair prices, top notch customer service and i'm sure the majority of folks feel this way.

29 345
 11-18-2017, 06:56 PM
User Info
Admittedly, I could have used a better term than "money grab." I was complimentary of the soap and I still enjoy using it -- as I said in the earlier post. In the earlier post I even said every formula I've bought has been good, and I admitted perhaps part of the perception rested with me when I used the phrase "sour grapes on my part." So I'm wondering if maybe your response to my original post might be a little strong.

I have spent quite a bit of money on CRSW soaps and aftershaves over the years (I probably have about 20 soaps and many of the various aftershave formulas that you've released -- is that $500-$600 worth of product?) -- and I guess the last time I bought five of the soaps in the white containers and matching balms at a cost of close to $200, only to see that iteration change seemingly weeks later, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Just my opinion. I don't recall any other soap I use changing things up as frequently, though I understand it happens.

It sounds like others have been critical of this practice -- I hadn't seen that in the past and I haven't mentioned it in any of my posts until today. I understand that you feel defensive about your work, but I hope you can also understand where I'm coming from. Congratulations on your charitable work.

3 769
 11-18-2017, 07:37 PM
User Info
^ I think Larry's reply was appropriate. You questioned his ethics. My reply would not have been as measured.

0 154
 11-18-2017, 08:23 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Guessing the moderators will be here soon.  I also have no idea who Larry is.

The "ungerwoo" initial post has several positive comments on CRSW products, used an inappropriate term, and commented on his feelings as a buyer on product changes.

Personal opinion, a good response would have included 1) thanks for previous purchases  2) one sentence on the inappropriate term  3) educational paragraphs on the reasons for product or packaging changes (which I assume are to improve the product, user requests, increase sales, etc.).  I would have enjoyed reading #3.

I also understand strong reactions to a negative comment that could have been taken out of context.

4 418