01-04-2017, 10:26 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(01-04-2017, 09:08 AM)GKR1 Wrote: I also prefer the old look with anti-rusting tin cans, 
They weren't 'anti-rusting', I had two Select v2 tins develop rust.  I'm glad he replaced the tins with sturdy plastic tubs.
Not a fan of the minimalist labels though.  Too spartan.  Needs some flair.
Unfortunately I don't like the sound of most of the new soap scents.  Half of them have cedarwood (aversion) or haitian vetiver (too dirty) or both.
Guess I'll wait for some reviews to come in before I try.
Best of luck for Larry in the new lineup though.

47 1,934
 01-04-2017, 10:50 AM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 10:26 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 09:08 AM)GKR1 Wrote: I also prefer the old look with anti-rusting tin cans, 
They weren't 'anti-rusting', I had two Select v2 tins develop rust.  I'm glad he replaced the tins with sturdy plastic tubs.
Unfortunately I don't like the sound of most of the new soap scents.  Half of them have cedarwood (aversion) or haitian vetiver (too dirty) or both.

I'm beginning to worry a bit......I own 18-20 of the v1, v2 and Oliva tins, and I do soak/bloom these soaps before the shave.

But I rarely use them more often than once every 5-6 months, an I let them dry for 3-4 days with open lids after the shave, but still I would have a problem if my tins began to develop rust.
Perhaps I will have to stop soaking them or just put a minimal amount of water to the top of the surface of the soap before the shave.

Just used CRSW Sandalwood v2 yesterday, what a fantastic scent and a fantastic performer  Thumbup

24 6,004
 01-04-2017, 10:56 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Truth is when I read about a Citron scent, I imagined of a more citrusy scent... And yes, it has both vetiver and cedarwood, but only orange as a citrus note...

49 2,007
 01-04-2017, 11:05 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
By the way, Citron is a totally different thing. It's a fragrant citrus fruit, they make spoon sweets with this fruit in Greece. We have a tree in our garden. It has a thick rind and a very unique scent.

It's this.

[Image: ULTkyhH.jpg]

49 2,007
 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 09:47 AM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote: Thank you for the positivity, much appreciated! 

Now for an obligatory group shot...

[Image: vkce6ez.jpg]

LOVE the new look Larry! Modern and clean. Looking forward to purchasing one of each. I'm sure they will be special.

0 115
 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 10:50 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 10:26 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:

I'm beginning to worry a bit......I own 18-20 of the v1, v2 and Oliva tins, and I do soak/bloom these soaps before the shave.

But I rarely use them more often than once every 5-6 months, an I let them dry for 3-4 days with open lids after the shave, but still I would have a problem if my tins began to develop rust.
Perhaps I will have to stop soaking them or just put a minimal amount of water to the top of the surface of the soap before the shave.

Just used CRSW Sandalwood v2 yesterday, what a fantastic scent and a fantastic performer 

That's what I do--just use a small amount of water and and let dry for 24 hours, (knock on wood)no rust so far.
Also this sandalwood is my all time favorite sandalwood scent. I've got enough for awhile, but I have no idea what I can replace it with, but now the search for a sandalwood from another maker has (re) started.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

3 335
 01-04-2017, 11:55 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I really LIKE the new minimalistic design and the scent profiles are very intriguing for me! Unfortunately, the previous formulas did not agree with my skin, so am looking forward to trying the new formula. Would appreciate it if anybody could let m know when the soaps are expected to be in stock.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Alex

113 1,523
 01-04-2017, 12:44 PM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 10:56 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Truth is when I read about a Citron scent, I imagined of a more citrusy scent... And yes, it has both vetiver and cedarwood, but only orange as a citrus note...

(01-04-2017, 11:05 AM)nikos.a Wrote: By the way, Citron is a totally different thing. It's a fragrant citrus fruit, they make spoon sweets with this fruit in Greece. We have a tree in our garden. It has a thick rind and a very unique scent.

It's this.

[Image: ULTkyhH.jpg]

Now that we have moved along from the criticism of the design and packaging and now seem to be focusing on the scents I offer this;

When looking at the CRSW website every scent description includes the word "highlighting" which would indicate to me that there are other EO's in the blend. 

BTW, Citrus comes from the Latin word Citron.

0 93
 01-04-2017, 12:55 PM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 11:55 AM)ARGH Wrote: I really LIKE the new minimalistic design and the scent profiles are very intriguing for me! Unfortunately, the previous formulas did not agree with my skin, so am looking forward to trying the new formula. Would appreciate it if anybody could let m know when the soaps are expected to be in stock.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Alex

Alex, Larry has said tomorrow night, but nothing more time specific.

31 5,292
 01-04-2017, 12:58 PM
User Info
This new soap must be good for Larry to discontinue the former products. I like the new look and I'm hoping the sandalwood scent will still be offered.

61 1,584
 01-04-2017, 02:11 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(01-04-2017, 12:55 PM)Optometrist Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 11:55 AM)ARGH Wrote: I really LIKE the new minimalistic design and the scent profiles are very intriguing for me! Unfortunately, the previous formulas did not agree with my skin, so am looking forward to trying the new formula. Would appreciate it if anybody could let m know when the soaps are expected to be in stock.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Alex

Alex, Larry has said tomorrow night, but nothing more time specific.

Thank you David!

113 1,523
 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM
  • tc930
  • Ex-Lurker
  • southern California
User Info
(01-04-2017, 04:31 AM)beamon Wrote: Though I'm not sure I know what a "jilted bride" feels like, I think I feel like one in this case. And, I'm ok with change, but there I was standing in the doorway to Larry's site the other day to make a purchase of "Citrus" and "Barber Shop" based on my first experience with "Limenthol" and the recommendations of others whose judgment is similar to mine. Finding the door closed to the site, there was nothing to do but put my C.C. back in my wallet, return home and wait for the first reports on the new line-up or try competetive products. Jilted... Right?

Good description.  This appears to be a careless choice by a vendor who has been exemplary up to now.  Changing formulation and packaging takes time.  This was an inventory clearance masquerading as a Christmas sale.   It hurt both established customers who were denied the chance to stock up on what they like, and new customers who were stuck with discontinued products they might not have otherwise purchased. Jilted fits nicely.

Change is natural and expected, but please don't blindside people.

0 9
 01-04-2017, 02:59 PM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 02:33 PM)tc930 Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 04:31 AM)beamon Wrote: Though I'm not sure I know what a "jilted bride" feels like, I think I feel like one in this case. And, I'm ok with change, but there I was standing in the doorway to Larry's site the other day to make a purchase of "Citrus" and "Barber Shop" based on my first experience with "Limenthol" and the recommendations of others whose judgment is similar to mine. Finding the door closed to the site, there was nothing to do but put my C.C. back in my wallet, return home and wait for the first reports on the new line-up or try competetive products. Jilted... Right?

Good description.  This appears to be a careless choice by a vendor who has been exemplary up to now.  Changing formulation and packaging takes time.  This was an inventory clearance masquerading as a Christmas sale.   It hurt both established customers who were denied the chance to stock up on what they like, and new customers who were stuck with discontinued products they might not have otherwise purchased. Jilted fits nicely.

Glass half full: Half price to purchase soon to be scarce unobtainium [Image: biggrin.gif]

I was very tempted to jump in on a few of the deals, but held off. Still not sure if i made the right choice.

40 1,176
 01-04-2017, 03:01 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info

Whining fits better here, in my opinion.

102 18,667
 01-04-2017, 03:02 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info

Interesting perception Tom. Companies clear out inventory all the time as products evolve and change. It was a wonderful opportunity to get premium product at very low price. I have several generations of CRSW products and will continue to support them.

No conspiracy in my mind.

59 4,568
 01-04-2017, 03:23 PM
User Info
(01-04-2017, 03:01 PM)Agravic Wrote:

Whining fits better here, in my opinion.

Yes. This is clearly a bunch of "but I want it and I can't have it!!!" falderal, and it doesn't seem to end. By all measures, Larry's products have been head and shoulders above the competition. Heaven forbid he dare to innovate in any way.

160 1,040
 01-04-2017, 03:29 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Yes, citron has a lot of meanings.

About the other thing, Citrus v.2 was an absolute favorite of mine. I would have ordered two or three for my stock had I know that. It was considered an irreplaceable soap by me, I even made a thread regarding this matter a while ago. But there was not a single word about discontinuation. When I Coloniali company stopped making their excellent soap, people were informed through vendors in order to stock up if they wanted to. People had a chance to do so. From an established or loyal customer's perception, this seems wrong. And I understand all the comments about it. All people asking was a chance to buy a couple more items of their favorite soap brand. I can't blame them for that. Only recently I tried the Oliva and I would probably have ordered one or two of them if I knew about the discontinuation. But all this discussion is pointless now and I'm not going to discuss again about this, no more comments. It's not the end of the world. I just wanted to express my opinion. I will stick with what I already have and when they're finished, they're finished. 

That's all.

49 2,007
 01-04-2017, 03:46 PM
User Info
The point is that Larry could have stated: I'm changing things up, here's a 15% discount code on any remaining stock and he'd STILL have cleaned everything out while setting clear expectations. I'd for one would have purchased a couple of my favorites (honeywood & citrus). I understand Tom's point entirely, and view the new offerings as something completely new.

What I don't understand is the combatative attitudes towards civilized discussion/criticism. It's OK that not everyone is thrillled by CRSW's changes. And before the pitchforks come out, I have 10+ tins of CRSW in the den, along with 5 bottles of balm, and 2 bath soaps. I've supported Larry through v1, v2, and Olivia.

29 1,163
 01-04-2017, 03:52 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-04-2017, 03:46 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The point is that Larry could have stated: I'm changing things up, here's a 15% discount code on any remaining stock and he'd STILL have cleaned everything out while setting clear expectations. I'd for one would have purchased a couple of my favorites (honeywood & citrus). I understand Tom's point entirely, and view the new offerings as something completely new.

What I don't understand is Ravi's combatative attitude towards civilized discussion. It's OK that not everyone is thrillled by CRSW's changes. And before the pitchforks come out, I have 10+ tins of CRSW in the den, along with 5 bottles of balm, and 2 bath soaps. I've supported Larry through v1, v2, and Olivia.

Not being combative here.
I'm just fascinated by the a. quick criticism by some, and b. plethora of comments implying that Larry has willfully wronged people.
It's his business, and I'm sure he knows what he's doing.
It's soap.
People need to relax, and perhaps move on.

102 18,667
 01-04-2017, 03:52 PM
  • tc930
  • Ex-Lurker
  • southern California
User Info
(01-04-2017, 03:02 PM)eengler Wrote:

Interesting perception Tom. Companies clear out inventory all the time as products evolve and change. It was a wonderful opportunity to get premium product at very low price. I have several generations of CRSW products and will continue to support them.

No conspiracy in my mind.

Certainly no conspiracy.  I think it was an uncharacteristic action by a good vendor. It caught some of us off guard and bent a few noses out of joint - mine included.  My feeling is it could have been avoided, but it's hardly the end of the world.

0 9