08-22-2012, 09:10 AM
User Info
(08-22-2012, 09:05 AM)Johnny Wrote: Krissy used me as one of her test mules for the pre-shave soap. I can report that after several days of using this product I will reorder when this puck gets low.

Does a nice job of cleaning, but the big plus for me is the condition it leaves my skin in. Some dry patches are starting to disappear.

I'm glad to hear this Johnny. I'm also a test mule and with only 2 uses so far I'm not ready to share any details yet other than this stuff works. Y'all need to try a preshave soap. Yes YOU! :monoloco:

31 8,060
 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(08-22-2012, 09:05 AM)Johnny Wrote: Some dry patches are starting to disappear.

Whooooo hooooo I'm so excited about that!!!!!

I use it myself as a facial soap instead of my usual olay or avon facial cleanser. I've just turned 40 so I'm starting to need moisturizers and whatnot. But it's really softened my face quite a bit and I don't need my morning or night cream. But i do sometimes still use the eye cream. LOL

7 405
 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM
User Info
Krissy please let us know when the shave creams are available. Thank you.

145 14,008
 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(08-22-2012, 09:39 AM)slantman Wrote: Krissy please let us know when the shave creams are available. Thank you.

I'll be working on those later today. I need to figure out the cost for the most part. I have all the numbers but I just need to plug them in to figure out the cost of the product while also figuring out the amount that fits into the jar by weight not volume. Even though I'll be using 4 oz and 8 oz jars (by volume) for my shaving creams depending on their thickness I can't label them as such unless the actual weight of the product inside matches. The information that is on the label is regulated by the FDA.

I did just add my pucks of tallow & lanolin shaving soap to my website. It's the same listing for the jars as it is for the pucks. Just select which one you want and the bottom of the page. I have also decided that I will be working with my tallow & lanolin shaving soap one day a week because of the process used to make it. Tuesday is the day I set aside to work on these, so keep that in mind when ordering this soap. If I have additional orders I will work the next day until they are complete.

I weigh out 85 grams of soap when making them plus additional fragrance (FO or EO) which is measured by weight on a reloading scale actually so I can be accurate with how much scent is added. They will be packaged in a cardboard box and the label will read they weigh 2.5 ounces or 70 grams because some of the excess liquid in the soap will evaporate out making a harder puck of soap. On the listing just select if you want a jar or a small puck.
Small Pucks are $7.75 each.

[Image: SmallPuck--400.jpg]

I am working on figuring out the weight of the large puck that is approximately 3" in diameter. I also need to find out how many tubes I have for shave sticks before I can list them as well.

The containers shown do NOT come with the soap but I am just showing an optional way of storing them outside the box they came in that is cheap and functional. For pucks I am also offering an additional label to be sent with your soap. This way if you want to store your puck outside the box it came in and in another container it came in you have an easy way to label your soap. That is an optional check box option on the listing.

Showing the smaller puck in a ziplock XS bowl for storage. Or the well dried soap can be re-stored in the box it came in.
[Image: th_SmallPuckInBowl---600.jpg]
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454...---600.jpg

Also showing the larger puck that I will be offering in the ziplock XS bowl for storage. The soap in the picture is not a shaving soap it's bath soap, but it will be the same size. I just didn't have one to use for the photograph at the time I was taking pictures.
[Image: th_LargePuck---600.jpg]
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454...---600.jpg

7 405
 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Where did you get that soap dish?

182 25,385
 08-23-2012, 11:27 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(08-22-2012, 08:37 AM)EHV Wrote: Very much looking forward to the Pre-Shave Soap as well as the shampoo bars! I'm a huge fan and use some sort of both every day.

I've made shampoo bars in the past but never got past testing phase, so they were never launched. I'm tweaking my recipe a tad and I've got a batch brewing right now!!! Beer, egg and honey are soooo good for the hair among other ingredients I add into it. Such as wheat protein and panthenol B5!

(08-23-2012, 10:59 AM)Johnny Wrote: Where did you get that soap dish?

LOL don't laugh but I picked it up at K-mart.....

7 405
 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The Preshave soap is very good. I applaud it as well.

116 3,804
 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
Still using my Chaps and several other shave soaps and enjoying them. The AS Chaps is really good and I put the bottle in the Travel Box for others to try.

11 303
 08-24-2012, 01:59 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I'll be looking forward to trying your shampoo bars when they become available.

Also, I must remember to reorder some of your pre-shave oil. Hopefully, the shampoo bars will become available at just the time I must reorder the pre-shave oil. Biggrin

2 5,000
 08-24-2012, 02:57 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Freddy the hubby was just telling me late last night that he also needs a new bottle. Thanks for the reminder, I had better go put one in his den for him right away. The next time I shave I should try it as well and see if I can notice a difference. I know Pam is also a fan of the pre-shave oil, I mention that because she's also a girl!!!

If not I can always pop a bottle into the package with the shampoo bar that you will be a tester for. I want to tweak my recipe a tad from what I made before.

7 405
 08-30-2012, 10:41 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Krissy

I received my order today (thank you), as soon as I saw the care you had taken on the packing I had to snap a photo and share here...

[Image: r3MJW.jpg]

Shaving goodies from Prairie Creations, beautifully packed

I love the warm, clean, but fairly subtle scent on the "Green Irish Tweed".

The "Lilac" scent is powerful, but in a very! nice (natural) floral way.

I'll have to wait until the wife gets home before trying the "Pomegranate" sniffie...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Nice selection there, Mike. I really like Prairie Creations Aftershave Balm, though I go with the unscented so I can put on any scented EdT, cologne or aftershave splash I want to.

2 5,000
 08-30-2012, 05:26 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Enjoy Mike!!!!!

I just wanted to mention that I got my KISS Shaving Cream listed. That is a soft cream version that is similar to my faux MdC soap that I am working on. I wanted to create a faux MdC that has a similar lather and is affordable to the average guy. That is currently out for testing at the moment. So stay tuned for updates on that.

But I do want to ask that if this is something you would be interested in to take at this page because I want your opinion.
http://www.prairie-creations.com/store/i...p?cPath=94
Because there are gentleman that prefer glass and others plastic I believe I am going to offer both with this soap. I have pictures of two glass options on the link above. Or else I can also go back to the drawing board and try to find another glass option online, but that might also drive up the cost because of the cost of shipping heavier glass.

I also will be working on making more of my faux Vintage Williams shaving soap hopefully next week. I am getting low on my tallow so I have ordered another 50 pound block of it. Once that arrives I can do that.

Because it needed a name, I decided to call it Walters Shaving Soap which is a family name.

They will be made in small batches and the whole batch will be scented the same rather than scenting the individual pucks. I will be making them in a classic lemon scent, unscented as well as other various random scents.

I do have 3 full size pucks from the batch that I made as my test batch, (lemon) so they are currently listed for $5.75 each. That will be the regular price for them. More will be made when I get my new shipment of tallow in. http://www.prairie-creations.com/store/i...p?cPath=95

7 405
 08-30-2012, 05:42 PM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
I want a 50lb block of tallow! Tongue

Can't wait for the faux Williams and root beer soap.

6 119
 08-30-2012, 05:48 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
I would prefer plastic for safety reasons but if I was going with glass then the Ball jar for the simple reason that the embossing on the glass would give a better grip when being used with possibly wet hands.

2 5,000
 08-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Krissy do you think the shave sticks that you eventually will produce will be in canisters or will they be like Palmolive/Arko and just be a nice simple stick of soap to rub on the face?

1 111
 08-30-2012, 05:57 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I'll second the Ball jar.

3 546
 08-30-2012, 06:07 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(08-30-2012, 05:56 PM)Theido Wrote: Krissy do you think the shave sticks that you eventually will produce will be in canisters or will they be like Palmolive/Arko and just be a nice simple stick of soap to rub on the face?

I only use twist up round (not oval) tubes for my shave sticks. I have some that are white and others that are a clear/natural color. I still need to get down the basement to find out just how many I have left.

(08-30-2012, 05:48 PM)freddy Wrote: I would prefer plastic for safety reasons but if I was going with glass then the Ball jar for the simple reason that the embossing on the glass would give a better grip when being used with possibly wet hands.

Excellent point Freddy! I'm also not a fan of glass because of the breakage issue, but I do respect that there are a number of gentlemen that do like it and want it.

On Tuesday when I work with my tallow & lanolin shaving soap I'll pour one about half full to see how it works to swirl the brush in.

7 405
 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM
User Info
(08-30-2012, 05:26 PM)krissy Wrote: Enjoy Mike!!!!!

I just wanted to mention that I got my KISS Shaving Cream listed. That is a soft cream version that is similar to my faux MdC soap that I am working on. I wanted to create a faux MdC that has a similar lather and is affordable to the average guy. That is currently out for testing at the moment. So stay tuned for updates on that.

But I do want to ask that if this is something you would be interested in to take at this page because I want your opinion.
http://www.prairie-creations.com/store/i...p?cPath=94
Because there are gentleman that prefer glass and others plastic I believe I am going to offer both with this soap. I have pictures of two glass options on the link above. Or else I can also go back to the drawing board and try to find another glass option online, but that might also drive up the cost because of the cost of shipping heavier glass.

I also will be working on making more of my faux Vintage Williams shaving soap hopefully next week. I am getting low on my tallow so I have ordered another 50 pound block of it. Once that arrives I can do that.

Because it needed a name, I decided to call it Walters Shaving Soap which is a family name.

They will be made in small batches and the whole batch will be scented the same rather than scenting the individual pucks. I will be making them in a classic lemon scent, unscented as well as other various random scents.

I do have 3 full size pucks from the batch that I made as my test batch, (lemon) so they are currently listed for $5.75 each. That will be the regular price for them. More will be made when I get my new shipment of tallow in. http://www.prairie-creations.com/store/i...p?cPath=95

I ordered the remaining two pucks, one for myself and I'm going to send the other one to that guy who dug up all the historical information.

How long should we wait for the pucks to harden?

0 283
 08-30-2012, 06:43 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
The pucks are quite firm as it is right now, just not rock hard. So they can be used right away and they will continue to harden as they age. They will be mailed in a box that is sized to fit the soap.

7 405