01-04-2017, 11:46 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The Mergress and Progress are great shaving razors and those who own them love them. However, if you are a new owner of either of these two razors, you may become befuddled the first time you take the razor apart.

[Image: Mergress-Quirks-002_large.jpg?v=1483557790]

There are two things that you need to be aware of.

1) The spindle has a friction ring that prevents the knob from accidentally falling out of the handle. If you do remove the knob assembly for cleaning, you will need to pinch the two ends of the friction ring together while you slide the knob assembly back into the handle.

[Image: Mergress-Quirks-003_large.jpg?v=1483557803]

Make sure that the friction ring is in the recessed area and that it is not wedged onto the thicker part of the handle just below the adjustment numbers. If it is wedged, use your fingernail and twist the ring until you can push it into place. Once you have done this once, it will become clearer and much easier for the next time.

You can also remove the friction ring entirely if it bothers you. This will not affect the razor or shave but, you will have to be careful to not drop the knob assembly when unscrewing the knob from the handle.

2) The top cap has a notch on one side. Make sure that the notch is on the same side of the razor as the triangle on the base plate. If they are not lined up, the adjustment numbers will be off and it will not zero at zero.

[Image: Mergress-Quirks-005_large.jpg?v=1483558357]

I have a Mergress in my personal razor rotation and love it. I am confident that you will love it too as long as you follow these two pointers.

46 18,314
 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great post Phil. Thanks for the tips!

59 4,486
 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks, Phil.

102 18,647
 01-04-2017, 12:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I get enough questions about how to reassemble the Mergress that I figured I better make a post about it. Biggrin

46 18,314
 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM
User Info
Good info.  Thank you.  Honestly, I've been wondering how it all went together since I got mine a couple months ago...and until a week or two ago didn't even realize there was the notch for aligning the head and the baseplate.  Thanks for the PSA.

17 1,408
 01-04-2017, 09:11 PM
User Info
Good info Phil, thanks.

I had a Progress for about a year then got my Mergres XL and had it for about 2 weeks when I accidentally pulled the knob off while wiping the handle without the head attached.  At first I thought I broke it but quickly realized how simple it was to pinch the stop collar and slide the knob back on.  Although I actually found it easier to use some needlenose pliers to pinch the collar.  The pliers left more room than my fingers did to slip the compressed collar back into the shaft - and the pliers are a little stronger than my fingers, eliminating initial frustrations with the latter.  Smile

Haven't had any issues since.  My #1 razor.

I guess my question though would be, is it advisable to periodically remove the knob for cleaning/maintenance?  Unsure if Eric's design intends the knob to be removed or not.

My next question would be, is it possible to do the same with the Progress?  I'm assuming the mechanics are essentially the same, but unsure if attempting to pull the Progress apart would damage its stop collar.

0 377
 01-04-2017, 09:23 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-04-2017, 09:11 PM)Niemander Wrote: Good info Phil, thanks.

I had a Progress for about a year then got my Mergres XL and had it for about 2 weeks when I accidentally pulled the knob off while wiping the handle without the head attached.  At first I thought I broke it but quickly realized how simple it was to pinch the stop collar and slide the knob back on.  Although I actually found it easier to use some needlenose pliers to pinch the collar.  The pliers left more room than my fingers did to slip the compressed collar back into the shaft - and the pliers are a little stronger than my fingers, eliminating initial frustrations with the latter.  Smile

Haven't had any issues since.  My #1 razor.

I guess my question though would be, is it advisable to periodically remove the knob for cleaning/maintenance?  Unsure if Eric's design intends the knob to be removed or not.

My next question would be, is it possible to do the same with the Progress?  I'm assuming the mechanics are essentially the same, but unsure if attempting to pull the Progress apart would damage its stop collar.

Yes, it is probably a good idea to remove the handle occasionally for a thorough cleaning. Put a few drops of mineral oil (or sewing machine oil) on the spindle prior to reassembly. 

The spindle in the Progress acts the same as the spindle in the Mergress.

46 18,314
 01-04-2017, 10:46 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great tips, thanks for sharing.

99 18,011
 01-05-2017, 04:51 AM
User Info
Great info. Thanks Phil.
Like Niemander, I accidentally pulled the handle after my first shave while
Cleaning up the razor and the whole thing came apart. Thought I broke it but a few YouTube videos helped putting it back together correctly.
I was also not aware of point #2 at the time.
Both excellent tips for new Progress/Megress users

13 775
 01-05-2017, 12:01 PM
User Info
Thanks for the tips Phil, the Mergress is actually my favorite razor, it even bumped my beloved Wolfman from the top spot!

3 920