• JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • Dixieland
User Info
I'm a sucker for lemon drop Shy

6 217
 01-12-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
Sorry for the slow replies; I've been absorbed by a teaching commitment.

(01-05-2017, 04:58 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Hey Ken, I have a question. I've been thrilled with my recent purchase of a 26mm lotus in select badger. Do you have any plans to release, offer, or allow special orders for Manchurian knots?

Thanks for the question. I don't intend for this to be a dismissive answer, but I honestly don't carry a sense of what "Manchurian" means with reference to badger hair other than in connection with Simpson's grade by that name.

What qualities/characteristics do you have in mind as compared to the knot in your Lotus, and what was its knot code?

(01-05-2017, 06:53 PM)bijou Wrote:
  • Ken and family, Congratulations the M64 is stunning, great design. I want one. By the way what is the height and grip dia measurements.

Thanks. Height of the prototype as shown measures 58.8 mm with maximum outside diameter of 39.7 mm. 

(01-10-2017, 01:25 PM)Whiskey Sour Wrote: Superb work...as usual!  I am anxiously awaiting a release with ebonite handles.  Can we expect them to be available soon?

-Mark

Thanks. Unfortunately, probably not very soon. Securing a reliably steady source of supply has been a challenge. We haven't given up and don't intend to, but I can't say with confidence when it will happen.

3 768
 01-12-2017, 04:16 PM
User Info
I think we're going to call this one the Buck Rogers, or something along those lines. 

Thanks to a friend in SF who loaned us a couple vintage Made Rites to serve inspiration.

Note that this is an unpolished prototype.

[Image: Buck-Rogers-front-011217_zpstnwkbzch.jpg]

3 768
 01-12-2017, 04:36 PM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 04:16 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: I think we're going to call this one the Buck Rogers, or something along those lines. 

Thanks to a friend in SF who loaned us a couple vintage Made Rites to serve inspiration.

Note that this is an unpolished prototype.

[Image: Buck-Rogers-front-011217_zpstnwkbzch.jpg]

Awesome!

8 481
 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
User Info
I always thought of lobster rolls seeing those types of handles.  Biggrin

My mother-in-law had a dress like that she wore to our wedding. 

I much prefer the Buck Rogers idea you put on it Ken. It's given me a whole nother perspective on the way I see that now!

The butterscotch you have is decadent too.

6 987
 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 04:52 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I always thought of lobster rolls seeing those types of handles.  Biggrin

My mother-in-law had a dress like that she wore to our wedding. 

I much prefer the Buck Rogers idea you put on it Ken. It's given me a whole nother perspective on the way I see that now!

The butterscotch you have is decadent too.

Pat loaned us the two Made Rites that inspired this handle quite a while back, and then I picked one up on eBay. Each is quite different. One of Pat's reminded me of a spacecraft from an old Buck Rogers-era sci-fi serial movie. They still used those sometimes as fillers between double-features when I was a kid. Cody did most of the design work for the first prototype. Then we had to play around to tease out what I had in mind. This one works very well in hand, and what I see when I look at it is a rocket ship from an old comic book.

3 768
 01-13-2017, 06:36 AM
User Info
Ken, I absolutely love all the new handle shapes, can't wait to start seeing some show up for sale! Question as far as new stuff, are you going to introduce any new colors/materials or is it only new shapes?

8 135
 01-13-2017, 12:39 PM
User Info
(01-13-2017, 06:36 AM)Kpfeifle Wrote: Ken, I absolutely love all the new handle shapes, can't wait to start seeing some show up for sale! Question as far as new stuff, are you going to introduce any new colors/materials or is it only new shapes?

We'll stir in new materials as ones we like become available, but there's nothing new in the works presently. We already offer pretty wide variety, I think.

3 768
 01-15-2017, 08:23 AM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 04:13 PM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: Sorry for the slow replies; I've been absorbed by a teaching commitment.

(01-05-2017, 04:58 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Hey Ken, I have a question. I've been thrilled with my recent purchase of a 26mm lotus in select badger. Do you have any plans to release, offer, or allow special orders for Manchurian knots?

Thanks for the question. I don't intend for this to be a dismissive answer, but I honestly don't carry a sense of what "Manchurian" means with reference to badger hair other than in connection with Simpson's grade by that name.

What qualities/characteristics do you have in mind as compared to the knot in your Lotus, and what was its knot code?

Simpsons Manchurian is extremely dense, scrubby while being soft, and has excellent flow through. Part of this is may be that each hair is thicker than standard badger. The knot, as a whole, feels very substantial in use. The knot compared side by side to a paladin or shavemac is strikingly different.

(I'll have a look for my paladin card, RE the knot code)

15 590
 01-15-2017, 11:16 AM
  • evnpar
  • Super Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I love the new handles, especially the beehive and Buck Rogers. Very nice, Ken.

35 4,680
 01-15-2017, 01:47 PM
User Info
A barrel handle would be awesome!

3 225