01-07-2017, 02:12 PM
User Info
My first brush was this Parker Pure Badger.  I never really enjoyed using it -  the loft was too high and the knot too scritchy.  Honestly, I didn't really know enough when I bought it, but that's how we learn I guess.  I decided to reknot it as I liked the design and weight of the handle.

The original Parker brush

[Image: yEjnlV7.jpg]

20 minutes in a steam bath and the knot popped out relatively easily.  I know steaming isn't always the best solution for knot removal, particularly for vintage brushes, but I wanted to give it a try.

[Image: 5LKo3HJ.jpg]

A new TGN knot in finest, 22mm

[Image: KkKqFYN.jpg]

Cleaned out the socket with a dremel and roughed up the sides for better adhesion

[Image: sYxYGRM.jpg]

5 minute epoxy in the socket and on the knot and the brush is reassembled

[Image: dMJP1fc.jpg]

A little bit of nail polish remover and the Parker logo, which was already coming off, is removed.  I tested the nail polish remover on the inside of the handle first to make sure it didn't interact negatively with the handle material.

[Image: xp5ahxC.jpg]

[Image: fuZMIRw.jpg]

The finished brush, patiently waiting for the epoxy to set.  I'll defunk it tomorrow with a few test lathers and then give it a go on Monday for my first shave with it.

[Image: KebhObB.jpg]

13 1,086
 01-07-2017, 02:17 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Nice job. I know you'll enjoy this brush.

38 4,992
 01-07-2017, 02:18 PM
User Info
Great job!

Outstanding work.

Appreciate the pictures too.

7 1,279
 01-07-2017, 04:43 PM
User Info
That what I do; find handles I like and re-knot them. Great job!  Cool

0 595
 01-07-2017, 04:53 PM
User Info
Thanks folks!  This was a fun little project and I am looking forward to getting some use out of this brush now.  I'll post some updates as it blooms.

Thanks again.

13 1,086
 01-07-2017, 05:43 PM
User Info
Very nice job.  The TGN  Finest knots are excellent and your refurbished brush looks great.  Thanks for the good pictures showing the process.

43 5,520
 01-08-2017, 05:52 PM
User Info
With the epoxy cured I did several test lathers to de-funk the knot.

In the bowl

[Image: LAit7zr.jpg]

Lathered
[Image: dzIGdlL.jpg]

Post lather bloom

[Image: LLplGW7.jpg]

After cleaning, I took it for a shave.  Wonderfully soft, no scritch at all.  I'd prefer the loft to be about 5mm shorter so there was a little more backbone, but I still enjoyed the face-feel.  The socket on the handle was only 10mm deep and could not be bored out due to the way the handle was constructed (screw through the center holding the brass base). Still, after reknotting, a very nice brush now.

[Image: jwwZvVa.jpg]

13 1,086
 01-08-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
Nice job, looks like a wonderful knot. You could always do the o-ring trick to simulate a glue bump if you wanted.

Also next time you could purchase a machine screw with the same thread pitch 5 mm shorter than the one originally there and drill the hole deeper.

Just a few thoughts, but nice work, it came out nice

26 753
 01-08-2017, 08:32 PM
User Info
Nicely done. Thanks for sharing Smile

3 4,347
 01-09-2017, 09:45 AM
User Info
(01-08-2017, 07:31 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Nice job, looks like a wonderful knot. You could always do the o-ring trick to simulate a glue bump if you wanted.

Also next time you could purchase a machine screw with the same thread pitch 5 mm shorter than the one originally there and drill the hole deeper.

Just a few thoughts, but nice work, it came out nice

Thanks guys.

Good suggestions.  I am going to give the o-ring work around a try.

Thanks again.

13 1,086