01-07-2017, 03:12 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Hello all,

There is not much talk on forums about people with disability, whom wet shave.
I know many people rather not say they are disable as sometimes this is very private thing.
I myself am disable and never hide it or be embarrassed by it. My right side of body was severely paralysed during my birth and many nerves damage. I struggle for long time to practice it to usable state but is still not even 60% fully operational. I have no feelings in toes, I slightly limp and my  right hand have very restricted movements. I cant open a bottle or turn a key with that hand or lift a coin. However is you see me you never guess I am disable. Most people are surprise when they learn I am.

Where am I going with it?

Well I was thinking how other people wet shave when they have disability any tricks they use?

Problem:

-holding a certain soap dish in hand to lather. Lot of them keep slipping from my hand and I cant use brush in my right hand.

Solution:

- Old Spice cup gives me perfect grip, where I know it will not slip or fell down
- I face lather which is better also for my coarse beard

Problem:
-biggest issue is installing blade in 3 piece OC razor (Tried to shave with TTO but cant find a good razor for me to use in that range and never got my hands on Aristocrat 21 OC or 15 OC). While I dont cut myself I cant control pressure with fingers when I hold blade between head and top cap to tight handle. Its paintful.

No solutions as yet with current razor. I cant put nothing between finders and blade as my fingers will not handle and slip. I tried

Problem:

-Sometimes when I struggle I tend to drop my razor.

Solution:

I do all blade changing etc above baby changing table just in case

Problem with no solution.

Cant use straight razor as I cant stretch my skin or swap hands

My go to set for long time is:

-Gillette NI or NEW long comb. Best for my skin issue
-P.160 or old spice
-Brush with good grip Thater 4125/1
-London Bridge or Triton R3

I had on loan from friend in Poland (during my 3 weeks stay there) a Tradere OC not enough It gave me great shaves but  it head built was hiding blade side and head built to hold nicely is pure pleasure to use! Hope more producers start covering side of blades. Would make my life more easierSmile

I am trying to get Tradere  OC but I people keep to them as they are fine razors and I cant blame them.

I am happy that I went into wet shaving hobby as it changed many things in my life but thats another story for another daySmile

Best,
Jack

11 880
 01-07-2017, 04:18 PM
User Info
Hi

Thanks for sharing, and i think it is cool that you are into wet shaving and not given up on it.

I would assume that it is easier to use a electric razor or gillette but it's not the same joy and pleasure as tradtraditional wet shaving.

Hope someone has a tradere razor to sell on this forum so you can get the best shave as possible.

Iam waiting for a wolfman and i have been for a year and there is nonothing better than when you get the razor or a brush etc  that you really like .

2 315
 01-07-2017, 04:20 PM
User Info
Try and post on the WTB and see if somone has a teadere razor.

2 315
 01-07-2017, 04:29 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm so impressed that you've persisted in finding ways to wet shave rather than giving in to carts and canned goo. I wish I could shake your hand. I mostly use straights, but when I'm in a hurry I've been using the Asylum Rx. I enjoy the shave but also find it very easy to change the blade. Perhaps there is someone in the UK who would loan theirs to you to try out.

38 4,994
 01-07-2017, 04:37 PM
User Info
Thank you for sharing your experience. 

My two boys are blind and I understand the process of working through the puzzle of making life function within our own parameters. I've worked at making things that makes life more accessible to  their life.

0 595
 01-07-2017, 04:53 PM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
Thanks.

I put before WTB and WTT and patiently wait, we will see no rushSmile

I always was told by my father never to give up and keep trying.

My sensitive skin lead me to wet shaving and while is not easy it help me to practice my hand. It's all about little victories.

I tried countless razors and it took me while to figure out that solid bar isn't for me together with SE and injectors. There is something about pre WW2 Gillette OC razors and Tradere that really works for me.

Not many people heard about Triton R3 blades and they work wonders in mentioned razors together with London Bridge blade(Wilkinson UK bkades) so I am now pretty settled.

11 880
 01-07-2017, 04:56 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have arthritis in my hands. I have difficulty going ATG. I am always afraid the razor will slip out of my hand. For me the best razor has been The One Blade. This razor has a slot in the handle. The slot accommodates the ball of my thumb giving me the needed stability to shave ATG and not fear dropping the razor. If the One Blade is too expensive there is a new razor coming on the market soon. It too has a split handle. It will be called Occam's Razor.

68 1,032
 01-07-2017, 05:04 PM
User Info
Great thread.  A couple of thoughts to add that may or not be of use to folks:
  • regarding holding soap dishes/pucks-  I am wondering if dishes like the one MWF or tabac come in are heavy enough to sit still on the counter while loading the brush.  Adding rubber feet to the bottom could help as well to stabilize a soap dish while loading.
  • loading a blade in a DE razor -- I think Ikon typically makes the top caps so that they cover the blade ends.  Would be worth looking into that.  Also, when the blade is loaded between the top cap and base, it might work to have the head assemble resting top cap down on a towel or wash cloth, insert the handle, and tighten the handle while applying downward pressure.  I know some use a similar method when adjusting the Futur as the blade exposure on it can catch a finger if you are not careful.

13 1,096
 01-07-2017, 05:23 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I believe this is one of the best threads that I have read in a long time.

Jack, thanks for starting this as this is something that most of us don't even think about.

175 23,752
 01-07-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
Jack, this is a powerful and important thread.  It makes most of what we discuss here trivial.  Thank you for having the courage to post it.

43 5,529
 01-07-2017, 05:36 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
A terribly important thread, and I thank Jack for it. It's always good to be reminded of these issues, and we should all strive to become better educated regarding such individual differences and the difficulties people sometimes face.

With regard to the slipperiness of razor handles, I find dabbing my fingers onto a wet alum block makes a HUGE difference. An old trick, but a highly recommended one.

On a not unrelated matter, I recently bought a new car because my ageing mother-in-law was finding it difficult to get in and out of the vehicle that I had: too low down. "Hip Point" is key here, and something car manufacturers really need to consider more fully now that the population is increasingly ageing. The new vehicle is perfect for her: she can easily (well, comparatively so) slip onto the seat, and off, with minimal risk and effort. The seat is higher that previously, but not so high she has to use a grapple iron to clamber up into it; neither do her feet dangle off the seat so she has to 'hop' onto the kerb when alighting. I strongly suggest that if anyone else has or is experiencing these problems to voice your concern and "Try Before you Buy". I visited about ten car yards with the 87 year old. It was very well worth it.

0 1,721
 01-07-2017, 05:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think the thread is so important that I have stuck it at the top of the General Section where it will not get lost in the crowd.   It will stay at the top for all to see.

175 23,752
 01-07-2017, 05:58 PM
User Info
Very commendable. I am happy you found the hobby. I am sure many of us here share the same sentiment highlighted in your last sentence.

157 1,009
 01-07-2017, 07:34 PM
User Info
Great thread. Would an injector be a good option? They seem to often have larger plastic handles and are lighter. I'm not sure if it would be harder or easier to load the blade, as I've never used one.

The alum suggestion is a good one, as is the suggestion to add rubber feet or something like that to a heavier soap dish.

Good luck in your journey to tailor your set up to your needs. I'm sure a lot of people will find this helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 278
 01-07-2017, 09:23 PM
User Info
Thanks for joining our community and posting about this!

For those that suggested the one blade and injectors, he states safety bars are not for him unfortunately. I was thinking injectors too due to the loading of the blade.

I'm anxious to hear what suggestions ppl have. The heavier ceramic bowls and containers with rubber feet is a great suggestion for steadying while loading.

Good luck on your adventure! I wish you luck with everything. This is a great group of guys !

26 753
 01-08-2017, 02:13 AM
  • I.P.
User Info
(01-07-2017, 05:23 PM)Johnny Wrote: I believe this is one of the best threads that I have read in a long time.

Jack, thanks for starting this as this is something that most of us don't even think about.

My thoughts exactly.

0 32
 01-08-2017, 03:04 AM
User Info
Awesome avatar!

I've seen a particular Merkur handle (search Merkur aluminum 40) recommended for arthritic hands, maybe that one would be helpful? UFO also offers something in the same vein, Grande L, it's 20mm thick by 90mm long. I've only seen in titanium, but the size and shape may be helpful, maybe email and explain yourself, maybe other lighter (aluminum?) materials could be an option? 

Something that crossed my mind, since you mentioned dropping your razor is a concern, is maybe have a hole milled in the handle to utilize for a leash of sorts? The same idea applies to surfboards etc. just a thought =)

Let us know what works!

6 292
 01-08-2017, 04:00 AM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
Another thing is undoing Head of razor to remove blade. Only way I can do it is by wedging razor comb corner against top of my finger and nail. I need to be very careful.

Injectors were sadly not for me and I tried few of them. Annoying my skin too much.

I also always look for Gillette Popular as is TTO with 77 NEW head but still no luck in that department.

Best grip on handle I had on UFO Colibri but I was stupid enough to let it go... Don't even remember why I did that.

With Loading blade I do sometimes put on wash cloth. As stated baby changing table is great helper for me to maintain my razor. I don't fear of dropping itSmile

11 880
 01-08-2017, 05:19 AM
User Info
On Feb. 11, I suffered a severe stroke that paralyzed my right side - therapy still has not restored my right arm.  While spending time in rehab, I wouldn't let them shave me because they wouldn't use any of my DEs (I have a couple dozen Brit Aristos, as many US Aristos, and even more Fat Boys, Slims, etc.) Dodgy

The day I got home, 8 weeks of beard came off!

I can stand at the sink now and use a scuttle, but no longer shave in the shower.  I just keep plugging along....

(This post took more than 5 minutes to type Angry )

Dan

0 2
 01-08-2017, 05:22 AM
User Info
(01-08-2017, 05:19 AM)ks6c Wrote: On Feb. 11, I suffered a severe stroke that paralyzed my right side - therapy still has not restored my right arm.  While spending time in rehab, I wouldn't let them shave me because they wouldn't use any of my DEs (I have a couple dozen Brit Aristos, as many US Aristos, and even more Fat Boys, Slims, etc.) Dodgy

The day I got home, 8 weeks of beard came off!

I can stand at the sink now and use a scuttle, but no longer shave in the shower.  I just keep plugging along....

(This post took more than 5 minutes to type Angry )

Dan

Dan, thank you for sharing your challenges.  You and others with disabilities  have amazing perseverance.

43 5,529