01-08-2017, 08:16 AM
User Info
Slippery grip might be solved by dipping the object and the object then has a rubbery coating- not sure what it is called.

[Image: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsOnRwCw3ggW1YGngNw...g&usqp=CAE]
[Image: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcchBkoCF6pml2BUOvr...Q&usqp=CAY]

14.5oz. Red Color Guardtough Rubber Coating 44234985
from WaresDirect.com
Dip, spray or brush to apply. Great for tools, metals, electrical connections, masonry, wood, conveyors, glass, rope, and fabric. Meets ASTM E-96 moisture resistance, ASTM B ...more »Dip, spray or brush to apply. Great for tools, metals, electrical connections, masonry, wood, conveyors, glass, rope, and fabric. Meets ASTM E-96 moisture resistance, ASTM B 117 salt spray testing, ASTMG-53-84 accelerated 10 year weather test, and CFIA. Tough rubber coating Inhibits rust and corrosion Use to 200-F Non-slip grip Dip or brush on Applications: Coats metal, most plastics, glass, epoxy glass, concrete, fabric, foam, fiberglass, masonry, rubber, and wood.« less

32 670
 01-08-2017, 12:27 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Wonderful thread and congratulations on your determination.

Perhaps you can consider a PILS razor?  It is a wonderful razor.....just 2 piece razor and not 3, so maybe easier to insert the blade.  It's head is similar in design to the Tradere, in that the blade is covered on the sides...less chance of injury.  It is a very efficient razor and forgiving.

The handle is the hangup...it's smooth and may be too slippery.  But a good solution to the problem is to add some round rubber gasket rings onto the handle, as some other members have done...to make it more "grippy".

130 1,095
 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
@Steelman I am thinking about PILS for long time as is beautiful but I am afraid that like rest of SB, it will fail with my beard. 

I might ask somebody in UK to loan me one and see.

11 873
 01-13-2017, 06:46 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I apologize for the ramble

7 2,035
 01-13-2017, 10:43 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Two other thoughts....Heat shrink tubing and switch to the Merkur CHUNKY handle comes in red or blue or can be wire brushed off or chemically removed with lye.....Usually can still be purchased on E bay...look under Merkur Chunky razors sell for $30 to $60 ...I think the model # 30 Blue and #31 Red

6 1,937
 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
To prevent dropping the razor while shaving you could try attaching a strap by tying a loop that's fixed at the top and bottom of the handle so it wraps around the back of the hand. Maybe with paracord or something and if it works make a nicer one out of leather.
Something similar to this spoon designed for people with Parkinsons

[Image: giphy.gif]

2 514
 01-14-2017, 02:52 AM
User Info
Jack,

Johnnie said it best, this simply is one of the best posts ever.  Your love of wet shaving is clear and your ingenuity to make it work for you is terrific!

Hat's off to you my friend.

3 454
 01-18-2017, 05:35 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I'm disabled but the main way it affects my wet shaving is its often hard to stand up long enough. It's a factor in whether or not I go through my whole preshave process, all three or four passes and a complete post shave or just not shave. Some days I can make it standing but my hand's not steady enough.

7 2,035
 01-18-2017, 06:06 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(01-13-2017, 06:46 AM)Mouser Wrote: I apologize for the ramble

You had nothing to apologize for.

130 1,095
 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
User Info
Jack, I know a guy who posts on another forum who was born with only 1 arm. He shaves with a straight razor every day, and many times with a Kamisori in the traditional  "Omote against the face" manner. He is also a honmeister, and I have had him hone several razors of mine. I have full use of both of my arms and hands, so I can't give any advice on how to approach this. But I do know that with patience, it can be done.

0 14