02-08-2021, 09:24 AM
User Info
I’m disabled.

I had a life changing motorcycle accident at 19 and have lost the use of my left hand. So I only shave with one hand, no got a choice unless I grow a beard.

Challenging things:

Opening screw tops.
Can’t pull my skin taught.
Changing blades is now a breeze with Muhle r41 twist.
It’s too easy to spend big online for shaving gear, I can’t stop my good hand with my left lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 27
 02-08-2021, 02:13 PM
User Info
(02-08-2021, 09:24 AM)Salty sailor Wrote: I’m disabled.

I had a life changing motorcycle accident at 19 and have lost the use of my left hand. So I only shave with one hand, no got a choice unless I grow a beard.

Challenging things:

Opening screw tops.
It’s too easy to spend big online for shaving gear, I can’t stop my good hand with my left lol.

I have some of the same issues. My left wrist is fused from arthritis when I was in my early 20's, and it doesn't bend anymore. I only shave with my right hand and I can't pull my skin taught either. But I have adjusted with one hand and once I got the technique down I still get great shaves even without pulling my skin. I still have use of my left hand, but it is limited. I have managed to adjust one sth years to work around what I cannot do with it.

5 819
 02-09-2021, 01:42 AM
User Info
(02-08-2021, 02:13 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:

Challenging things:

Opening screw tops.

I have some of the same issues. My left wrist is fused from arthritis when I was in my early 20's, and it doesn't bend anymore. I only shave with my right hand and I can't pull my skin taught either. But I have adjusted with one hand and once I got the technique down I still get great shaves even without pulling my skin. I still have use of my left hand, but it is limited. I have managed to adjust one sth years to work around what I cannot do with it.

Same, I get a really good shave. When I first started with double edge I had a few cuts every time. That said I don’t know if that was any more than others when starting out.

Nice to know I’m not the only guy on here, pleased I found this thread.

0 27
 02-09-2021, 08:07 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It would seem there are few among us who are not up to spec, as it were...

20 5,676
 02-09-2021, 12:11 PM
User Info
(02-09-2021, 01:42 AM)Salty sailor Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 02:13 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:

Challenging things:

Opening screw tops.

Same, I get a really good shave. When I first started with double edge I had a few cuts every time. That said I don’t know if that was any more than others when starting out.

Yeah, when I started I got some nicks and/or cuts here and there. That's the learning curve. There are some of us who had to adjust or modify our technique.

5 819
 02-09-2021, 12:14 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-08-2021, 02:13 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:

Challenging things:

Opening screw tops.

Everyone gets nicks in the beginning. I was so worried about that that I used a brush and soap or cream for almost two years before I finally used a DE razor.

9 2,908
 02-09-2021, 12:56 PM
User Info
(02-09-2021, 12:14 PM)Mouser Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 02:13 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: I have some of the same issues. My left wrist is fused from arthritis when I was in my early 20's, and it doesn't bend anymore. I only shave with my right hand and I can't pull my skin taught either. But I have adjusted with one hand and once I got the technique down I still get great shaves even without pulling my skin. I still have use of my left hand, but it is limited. I have managed to adjust one sth years to work around what I cannot do with it.

Everyone gets nicks in the beginning. I was so worried about that that I used a brush and soap or cream for almost two years before I finally used a DE razor.

I went from electric straight to double edge with a disability, that would explain things lol

0 27
 11-25-2021, 08:12 PM
User Info
I’m a stroke survivor. On June 29th 2021 I was scheduled to have a craniotomy to remove a tumor from my brain, actually my cerebellum. I don’t anything about that day or the next four or five days.

It turns out the surgery went fine, however I had a stroke on either the first or second of July. I remained in the ICU until until July 7th, when I was transferred to the stroke recovery unit. I tried to talk but mumbled jibberish came out. My right arm was limp and hand was locked up in a fist. I couldn’t walk, my right leg couldn’t tolerate any weight, But I was able to move it and that was something we could build on and fortunately my speech returned relatively quickly. Next my journey and motivation to wet shaving inspite of obstacles I faced.

0 1
 Yesterday, 05:46 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-25-2021, 08:12 PM)walleyeb1 Wrote: I’m a stroke survivor. On June 29th 2021 I was scheduled to have a craniotomy to remove a tumor from my brain, actually my cerebellum. I don’t anything about that day or the next four or five days.

It turns out the surgery went fine, however I had a stroke on either the first or second of July. I remained in the ICU until until July 7th, when I was transferred to the stroke recovery unit. I tried to talk but mumbled jibberish came out. My right arm was limp and hand was locked up in a fist. I couldn’t walk, my right leg couldn’t tolerate any weight, But I was able to move it and that was something we could build on and fortunately my speech returned relatively quickly. Next my journey and motivation to wet shaving inspite of  obstacles I faced.

What a tale! You are obviously a very courageous person. The recovery road will be arduous, but it seems you have the personal fortitude to overcome your obstacles.

Welcome to the forum Smile When you feel up to it, make your introduction here http://shavenook.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4 for a proper TSN greeting Smile

20 5,676