01-07-2017, 04:43 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I've got a oneblade on the way. Can some of y'all give me directions on how to go about this and tools needed? Thanks in advance for the help.

3 441
 01-07-2017, 04:44 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations the OneBlade is a fantastic razor. It works on the opposing premise of wet shaving - pressure (instead of the normal no pressure).

The process of de-spining Gem blades is surprisingly easy and you don't need any special tools (like in the video below). You just pinch the spine with a pair of pliers and wriggle it off by rocking the spine until the blade slides out. I hold/pull the blade by the cardboard wrapping which provides ample protection IMO.

I actually don't enjoy the Gem blades, I find them far too mild.

95 17,964
 01-07-2017, 07:51 PM
User Info
As Ben said, a simple pair of pliers is all that is needed. I use a pair of needle nose pliers. There is a line running along the back portion of the spine. Just squeeze the pliers down slightly posterior to this line while holding the cardboard wrapper. Then push the blade up & down while holding the spine firmly. The aluminum spine should bend and open up allowing the blade to come out easily.

This is the first I've heard of a GEM blade being considered mild. I'd say there are far more people who would say the opposite, but as is common in this crazy drama called wet shaving; YMMV.

31 7,942
 01-07-2017, 08:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-07-2017, 07:51 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: As Ben said, a simple pair of pliers is all that is needed. I use a pair of needle nose pliers. There is a line running along the back portion of the spine. Just squeeze the pliers down slightly posterior to this line while holding the cardboard wrapper. Then push the blade up & down while holding the spine firmly. The aluminum spine should bend and open up allowing the blade to come out easily.

This is the first I've heard of a GEM blade being considered mild. I'd say there are far more people who would say the opposite, but as is common in this crazy drama called wet shaving; YMMV.

Yeah I must agree Brian, this YMMV phenomenon consistently has me puzzled. 

There are always so many conflicting reports on the same product (to the point where you really need to try everything for yourself). So to the OP, please don't let my comments dissuade you in anyway.

Also, I've only had the OneBlade since December 2016 (thanks to the extreme generosity of one of our most esteemed members). In that time I've found the Feather blades consistently quite efficient, but had to do significantly more passes/touch ups with the Gem (and I still felt it wasn't comparable).

95 17,964
 01-07-2017, 10:55 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Thanks for the help.

3 441