01-07-2017, 06:23 PM
User Info
So I've done some searching and I'm only finding knots for sale. If I wanted to mess around and attempt to hand tie some knots, where might I find some badger hair? Preferably 2 band of course!

Thank you for any assistance in advance

26 761
 01-07-2017, 10:45 PM
User Info
Laws and permits make it difficult. I have been looking into it for the last year and it seems to be a very serious undertaking. The fines imposed on you if you illegally import loose hair can be very high and serious. It may require a lot of calling around to different offices and bureaus. What state do you live in?

79 1,296
 01-08-2017, 03:18 AM
User Info
(01-07-2017, 10:45 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Laws and permits make it difficult. I have been looking into it for the last year and it seems to be a very serious undertaking. The fines imposed on you if you illegally import loose hair can be very high and serious. It may require a lot of calling around to different offices and bureaus. What state do you live in?

That's unfortunate. I live in NY, were notorious for our hefty fines and laws so I can only imagine how our laws read. I was considering contacting Aldo but I feel like it could be a conflict of interest to assist with someone attempting what he has already accomplished. Certainly don't want to go down an illegal path all over a shaving brush knot

26 761
 01-08-2017, 05:03 AM
User Info
I would try to contact Aldo or Scott for Declaration Brushworks. The worst the can do is say no, but they may also offer some sound advise and help. It doesn't hurt to try.

0 147
 01-08-2017, 08:57 AM
User Info
(01-08-2017, 05:03 AM)yiannid Wrote: I would try to contact Aldo or Scott for Declaration Brushworks. The worst the can do is say no, but they may also offer some sound advise and help. It doesn't hurt to try.

That's looking like my next step at this point. I really didn't even think about the laws and permits part of importing. Laws are so fickle, we can buy a plethora of the already made product, but god forbid we buy the ingredients to make it!

26 761
 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM
User Info
 01-08-2017, 07:34 PM
User Info
(01-08-2017, 03:02 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I Googled it.

There's this,

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-m.../?ALLSTEPS

And this,

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb...leryList=G

That's a cool article, thanks for the contribution to the thread.

The trouble with alibaba is all of the badger hair being sold requires quantities costing thousands of dollars. I wouldn't want to make an investment like that Without knowing the quality of the hair being purchased and how effective I will be at tying the knots. 

Group buy anyone? Lol

26 761
 01-08-2017, 09:36 PM
User Info
But again, even if they would sell you an affordable amount of loose hair, I am not under the impression that you can legally buy it without proper permits/license. So if you do come across someone willing to work with you, I would at least advise you to contact that vendor and ask what people have had to have in the past to import it.

79 1,296