01-07-2017, 06:33 PM
User Info
How does Kent's best grade compare to Kent silvertip, Shavemac 3 band silvertip, or Simpson's best? I'm thinking of purchasing a size 8 horn handle Kent (or Vie Long silvertip--see my previous post), which only comes in the best grade and want to get an idea of how does it compare in softness to my Kent BLK4, Shavemac, or Simpson's brushes.

1 92
 03-12-2017, 06:10 PM
User Info
(01-07-2017, 06:33 PM)Mon Wrote: How does Kent's best grade compare to Kent silvertip, Shavemac 3 band silvertip, or Simpson's best? I'm thinking of purchasing a size 8 horn handle Kent (or Vie Long silvertip--see my previous post), which only comes in the best grade and want to get an idea of how does it compare in softness to my Kent BLK4, Shavemac, or Simpson's brushes.
Fine timing. I am wondering the same!

4 74
 03-13-2017, 08:48 AM
User Info
Also, Does a $300 brush really out perform a $40-60 brush?

4 74
 03-13-2017, 01:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(03-13-2017, 08:48 AM)DBart. Wrote: Also, Does a $300 brush really out perform a $40-60 brush?

Right off, I've not tried a Kent brush, and so will not speak to the comparisons raised. However I have asked the same question and spent three years and waaay more money than many might consider reasonable to make such a determination. To your question then, yes. In all ways; hand and face feel, and ability to create lather are my criteria. Pertaining to those criteria, my high end brushes vastly outperform my inexpensive brushes. Otoh, as a for instance, the Semogue line has an old-school look with many examples in your price range which are quite appealing in their own right. If you choose to spend more you may or may not not get better shaves, per se, but at least you'll get some answers.

4 1,922
 03-15-2017, 12:06 PM
User Info
very few brushes present as soft and pillow like as a kent silvertip.  thader 3 bands maybe.  i never bought a best in this companies aresenal.  usually found sales just after i had bought their brushes.  for fun i got an as 16 that is massive. paints the walls instead of my face but fun nonetheless.

73 1,262
 03-16-2017, 04:22 AM
User Info
I love Kents. You have to like brushes with a little less backbone and longer loft then your typical popular Simpson, Thater and uber stuffed synth. In return you get a brush that lathers very easy, makes quality lather and releases it easily. The key is to use the tips. If you are a face masher or want a super scrubby brush it's not for you. I have always owned one, in fact it was my first brush I bought on my own 35 years ago and replaced it immediately when it reached end of life. I just like the quality of lather they produce. So in the end it is what type of face feel you are looking for. No issues of quality in any that I have owned

The Horn Best is a touch scritchier but not by much, It is no where near a pure grade...Closer to Simpson Best in the one I have. Of course that was bought 8+ years ago

3 742
 03-16-2017, 05:51 AM
User Info
Nothing like getting a custom brush maker to create "your" dream brush. If you have not yet experienced a custom brush then maybe its time. I recommend TSN vendor Doug Korn.

36 886