01-08-2017, 10:51 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I think Moe, Larry and Curly must have been in charge of this one.

45 17,756
 01-08-2017, 10:54 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
That's the most popular news story from Oregon. I've played golf with the newscaster--a great guy who has done some fantastic work in his career, but everyone always wants to hear about the exploding whale story, and not about his more serious work.

38 4,946
 01-08-2017, 11:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-08-2017, 10:54 AM)evnpar Wrote: That's the most popular news story from Oregon. I've played golf with the newscaster--a great guy who has done some fantastic work in his career, but everyone always wants to hear about the exploding whale story, and not about his more serious work.

That would be a fun round of golf. I am sure he had some entertaining stories.

45 17,756
 01-08-2017, 11:33 AM
User Info
"Alright Fred you can take you hands out of your ears"  Laughing1

0 595
 02-16-2017, 10:37 PM
User Info
That was good entertainment.

0 363
 02-18-2017, 08:24 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-08-2017, 10:54 AM)evnpar Wrote: That's the most popular news story from Oregon. I've played golf with the newscaster--a great guy who has done some fantastic work in his career, but everyone always wants to hear about the exploding whale story, and not about his more serious work.

Paul Linnman (“the newscaster”) and I had sons in the same class at West Sylvan Middle School in the mid-1980s, and he had volunteered to coach the West Sylvan boys basketball team in the Portland City League.  Too many boys signed up, and it was necessary to form a second West Sylvan team, for which I was recruited to be the coach.  (Paul, of course, got all the best basketball players, and the team that I coached comprised the left-overs.)  Our teams practiced against each other regularly (my guys always “lost” in the scrimmages), and we became fast friends.  

But more than a decade and a half before that, when I was the hearings officer for the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, I had gone down to Springfield (Oregon) to a pre-hearing meeting, where I met the manager of a major industrial facility in Springfield who was the brother(?) or close friend(?) or had some other intimate relationship with the owner of the Cadillac El Dorado upon which a huge chunk of blubber landed, collapsing the top half of the car, as shown briefly in the video.  Looking at the video in 2017, one does not appreciate how special that make and model of car was in 1970; its value at the time of The Exploding Whale Event was close to the value of a Deusenberg SJ.  The manager’s (possibly embellished) account of the Cadillac owner's conversation with his insurance agent after the event would make a memorable skit on Saturday Night Live or a similar comedy show.  

"You ran into something?"  

"Um, no:  something hit me."

"Another car?  A truck, perhaps?"  

"Um, no.  A whale."  

"Wait.   A whale?   Where were you driving?"  

"I was not driving.   The car was parked."

"You parked in the ocean?"  

"No.  I was parked at the top of a cliff."  

"And a whale hit you.  You want me to believe that a whale hit you when you were parked at the top of a cliff."  

"Well ... yes."

0 1,006
 02-19-2017, 06:17 AM
User Info