01-09-2017, 05:57 PM
User Info
(01-09-2017, 05:47 PM)Oasisdave Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 05:44 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 05:42 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: WOW, that's disappointing as I hated the smell of Marshlands. Knew I should have picked Lavish instead

I love Juniper.
I have no experience with L&L.

Mine should arrive tomorrow so I'm going to hope for the best. Am really looking forward to the first shave with Larry's new formula but if it does smell like Marshlands I just won't be able to do it, I disliked the scent that much.  Confused

I own Marshlands as well and they are not in the same category in my opinion.

Juniper is very well balanced instead of being very earthy.

Juniper is a win for me.

82 2,094
 01-09-2017, 06:24 PM
User Info
(01-09-2017, 04:03 PM)shavealife Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 03:21 PM)jacwoob Wrote: Got my Juniper. Smells a lot like L&L Marshlands and I wasn't thinking it would be this vetiver forward. Smells great!

I'm not getting that comparison at all. I know scent is open to interpretation, yadda yadda yadda but Marshlands is powdery lemon citrus dirty and swampy. Haven't shaved with it yet but Juniper is like you just took a fresh handful of juniper needles and crushed them in your hands. Piney resinous with a light back end of fresh earth. Fresh juniper is how I would describe Juniper. Powdery dirt is how I would describe Marshlands.

Any notes of "gin" or is it only fresh juniper?  Very nice description by the way.  Anything like B&M's Vetiver, Heather and Clary Sage?

Thanks

13 954
 01-09-2017, 06:24 PM
User Info
Didn't mean to disappoint anyone. My nose is a total amateur and while Juniper and Marshlands are similar to me, they are not identical for sure.

0 31
 01-09-2017, 06:36 PM
User Info
(01-09-2017, 06:24 PM)jacwoob Wrote: Didn't mean to disappoint anyone. My nose is a total amateur and while Juniper and Marshlands are similar to me, they are not identical for sure.

No man you didn't disappoint.

We all have our different noses and believe me mines amateur as well.

I really like my first sniffs of Juniper and am really looking forward to the first shave!

82 2,094
 01-09-2017, 06:42 PM
User Info
(01-09-2017, 06:24 PM)jacwoob Wrote: Didn't mean to disappoint anyone. My nose is a total amateur and while Juniper and Marshlands are similar to me, they are not identical for sure.

This is all a very subjective topic.  Your perceptions about scent are just as valid as those of anyone else.

41 5,078
 01-09-2017, 07:16 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
They made itSmile Very pleased with all 5 scents.
[Image: j2VsXC4.jpg]

59 4,186
 01-09-2017, 07:59 PM
User Info
The shipment arrived today and what a great surprise. I am always impressed at Larry's scents, they are unique to him and not overdone in anyway. Very refined classy scents IMO. I think though my favorites so far are Arctica and Jupiter. The scent in Jupiter reminds me of walking in the pine tree after a snow. Crisp pine oil smell with other soft touches. Very refreshing. The new formula I find to be slicker and the face feel after the shave is top notch as usual. I think the new spray balm dispensers are much more efficient too. Larry you really are in a league of your own. The runner up is still in the warm up box.

17 1,276
 01-09-2017, 08:15 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
First shave with Lavish and the performance was excellent. Using my standard process (Merkur Man's Shiny Lather Method) I built an abundance of lather. The standout quality was the dense and elastic nature of the lather in this new formulation. I feel there has been some added qualities to an already refined soap.I really like the new containers, they are easy to hold and just plain solid with no flexing while gripped for loading. The container depth allows a generous amount of lathering room which is welcome. I finished with a splash of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet which so far is following the Lavish nicely.

Well Done Larry!

59 4,186
 01-09-2017, 09:11 PM
User Info
I look forward to giving Cypress a go. One thing I admire about Larry & CRSW is that his scents are sophisticatedly understated, refined as you will. I really enjoyed the Colonia Mediterrania

~Royce

4 368
 01-09-2017, 09:29 PM
User Info
Excellent all! Sadly, my soap won't be here until the next Monday. Keep the review coming, now I am super excited to use them.

Question for Arctica user, how strong is the menthol? Limenthol strong?

0 175
 01-09-2017, 10:06 PM
User Info
I was really intrigued by Lavish but missed out. Can't wait to try it! Keep the reviews coming, fellas

8 1,086
 01-10-2017, 02:20 AM
User Info
(01-09-2017, 05:44 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 05:42 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: WOW, that's disappointing as I hated the smell of Marshlands. Knew I should have picked Lavish instead

I love Juniper.

Mine should arrive tomorrow so I'm going to hope for the best. Am really looking forward to the first shave with Larry's new formula but if it does smell like Marshlands I just won't be able to do it, I disliked the scent that much.  Confused
Looking forward to your view on Juniper pal,as I share the same love for Marshlands as you.

5 11
 01-10-2017, 06:27 AM
User Info
[Image: 259c31feaeffacef2f7624a5e0300141.jpg]

Man what a great shave this morning!

The peppermint upon lathering is tamed by the fir. A great spin on traditional peppermint soaps.

As to the performance I didn't think CRSW could get any better. But man this new base is a dream.

Hydrates easily and holds a ton of water while staying stable. Super slick and dense. A very protective soap with effortless glide.

Post shave is outstanding. My face feels great. Hydrated despite the cold weather here.

Menthol level is very similar to Limenthol to me to answer the question above.

I cannot wait to shave tomm!

82 2,094
 01-10-2017, 06:36 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I got my first shave in with Juniper last night.  When it arrived yesterday I kept smelling it trying to figure out a product from my past that it smelled like.  There was definitely a familiarity there I just couldn't put my finger on.  Then I realized it was Jabonman Tierra Humeda that I was remembering.  Juniper however, has a sweetness to it as well as a little spiciness from the sage.  Excellent scent and not quite as earthy as Jabonman.  I might be in the minority here, but of my CRSW soaps, my Olivia lathers more easily than my regular CRSW soaps.  I get a high sheen lather a lot easier and it's a little slicker than the older formula CRSW.  I think Juniper falls into the easy to lather high sheen, very slick Olivia category.  The post shave was also very similar to Olivia (very good!) in my opinion.  I also got the matching balm which like my other CRSW balms is excellent.  Couldn't be happier with the scent or the performance.

42 578
 01-10-2017, 07:34 AM
User Info
Juniper is similar to Tierra Humeda and Mike's Vetiver... with a bit smoother finish, at least to my sniffer. Beautiful stuff.

16 598
 01-10-2017, 07:41 AM
User Info
Shaved with Juniper this morning.  Very easy to build a billowing and shiny lather.  Terrific cushioning, good slickness, and stable lather.  I think it could have taken more water, so I might be able to make it even slicker.  I'll push the water content tomorrow.  Scent is more pungent in tub, but more natural and better integrated once lathered.  Very nice scent- reminiscent of what I envision the surrounding air would smell like had I pulled a hand full of a juniper from the bottom of a bush near the soil in light frost conditions, but not so pungent as had I vigorously rubbed the juniper together in my hands to release the oils.  (How's that for an image! Smile ).  IMO this is not a dark, wet earth, deep vetiver scent.  All components are nicely balanced and has a nice a wintery sense.

25 229
 01-10-2017, 08:06 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Just received my order - Lavish and Citron. From the two the Citron is my favorite, but I do like very much the smell of them both. Hope that my skin will not react negatively to this new formula. 

That you Larry for your great work!!!

111 1,370
 01-10-2017, 08:09 AM
User Info
(01-10-2017, 02:20 AM)WVHDRyder Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 05:44 PM)Agravic Wrote: I love Juniper.

Looking forward to your view on Juniper pal,as I share the same love for Marshlands as you.

So I can definitely see the resemblance to Marshlands in the scent. But to me Marshlands had a very off putting scent mixed in with the Vetiver, not so with Juniper. There is a very clean edge to the soap and the Juniper in the scent really stands out and lingers. In fact i'm sitting at my desk right now and can still smell the juniper on my fingertips as I type (when I opened my tub the soap was actually attached to the lid so I removed it an put it in the tub). So i'm happy to say that Juniper looks to be a winner scent wise for me! I should have known better than to think any less.

3 868
 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM
User Info
 01-10-2017, 12:06 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Nice Tappan!

59 4,186