01-10-2017, 01:56 PM
User Info
I cant stand wet shaving at home but having to use an electric when I travel (I travel a lot for work). I always carry on my bag.

I know its easy to spot a DE razor blade and they are not permitted.

I am wondering if you guy have any trouble getting a SE Artisan blade through TSA, especially if you leave it in the razor. I am hoping that most TSA screeners are unfamiliar with SE artist club blades, especially if you leave them in the razor they may not think they are removable?

2 73
 01-10-2017, 02:02 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I doubt one could get SE blades through TSA security..

102 18,101
 01-10-2017, 02:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It isn't worth trying -they may decide to confiscate the whole kit and kaboodle.

45 17,052
 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM
User Info
I was traveling recently and you can bring the razor through security, but you have to check your blades. TSA knew exactly what a safety razor looked like and my carry on got pulled for extra inspection so they could make sure there was no blade in the razor. This was with a DE razor, but I very much doubt it will make a difference with a SE.

2 25
 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM
User Info
You can carry-on a DE or SE razor without a blade through TSA. The blades should be in the luggage but not in your carry-on bag. This is my experience with TSA.

29 276
 01-10-2017, 08:21 PM
User Info
I always carry on my de razor because of its value. My last trip to Vegas I went to AOS and picked up a tuck of Gillette silver blues upon arrival. TSA inspected the razor to make sure there was no blade in it and he seemed surprised people still use these razors. I chuckled a little. If he only knew of the addiction it causes. Happy travels

4 208
 01-10-2017, 08:31 PM
User Info
I've been pulled out before (no blades) for secondary when they spotted the razor (and they've spotted it EVERY TIME guess the steel shines pretty bright).

I have learned, however, if I place the razor in it's own bin out in the open and fully disassembled it goes pretty smoothly as they can just glance into the bin.  I keep the razor relatively accessible as I approach the screening and I generally place the razor with the bin that holds my wallet/phone/small items.

17 564
 01-10-2017, 08:32 PM
User Info
To summarize: An empty SE razor in your carry-on is fine but blades are a no-no, including a blade in the razor.

I've used various solutions at different times.

Of course the easiest solution is to carry your blades in checked baggage - assuming you are checking a bag. I usually don't.

I often carry a classic Gem style SE (1912, Micromatic, etc.). Blades are available from any CVS drug store and CVS drug stores are practically everywhere. At most of my travel destinations I pass one (or more) during the drive from the airport to the hotel.

If visiting friends or relatives, tape a couple of blades to a piece of cardboard, drop it in an envelope and mail it to them a few days before your trip.

I've also mailed blades to myself at the hotel I'm staying at. On the back of the envelope simply write: "Arriving [date], please hold for pick up."

It it is definitely a bad idea to leave the blades in your carry-on and hope TSA doesn't notice. Not only do you risk having the razor confiscated, you may be detained and miss your flight - or worse.

--Bob

0 171
 01-11-2017, 03:29 AM
User Info
I had a $30 tub of shaving cream confiscated due to size restriction. Missing a flight or gaining involuntary membership onto a no fly list is not recommended for loving a shaving cream and/or a nice razor. Now I travel very light and very inexpensively.

34 772
 01-11-2017, 03:30 AM
User Info
Went to Dallas from West Palm last weekend with my GEM Bullet in my carry-on.  No blades (my son has blades in Dallas).  On the trip out, TSA missed the razor and I breezed right through.  On the return trip, the screener immediately picked out the razor and as I saw her point to the screen I said, "no blade."  She smiled appropriately and asked me to put it through separately next time to speed things up.  They opened my bag to confirm that I didn't have a blade and we went on our way no worse for wear.

I never travel with a blade.  My experience over many flights is that TSA identifies a razor around 2/3rds of the time.  I would think it would be easy to identify the "T" shape of a razor but what if the razor was angled such that the X-ray looked head on at the razor?  All the agent would see is a rectangle.  Nothing to identify it as a razor.

2 43
 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have a cheap injector ($20) I bought from e-bay. I really do not care too much if it gets taken away. I put a new blade in before I pack it and do not pack any other blades. So far I have experienced no problems. It may also help that I am almost 80 years old and always go through the speed lane

64 990
 01-11-2017, 11:40 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
As much fun as watching someone who considers themselves better than those who obey the rules be detained or lose their razor and blade might be, it doesn't make up for the further delay the rest of us are caused while the TSA deals with the scofflaw.  There are other, better travelling shave alternatives than stooping to a buzzer, as have already been pointed out, or deliberately trying to weasel around the regulation.   If you don't like the rules, you can drive, fly private, or take Greyhound.

40 424
 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(01-11-2017, 11:40 AM)garyg Wrote: As much fun as watching someone who considers themselves better than those who obey the rules be detained or lose their razor and blade might be, it doesn't make up for the further delay the rest of us are caused while the TSA deals with the scofflaw.  There are other, better travelling shave alternatives than stooping to a buzzer, as have already been pointed out, or deliberately trying to weasel around the regulation.   If you don't like the rules, you can drive, fly private, or take Greyhound.

Or for that matter those that preach and consider themselves holier than thou. The question was has anyone experienced problems with TSA and SE razors

64 990