01-11-2017, 11:34 PM
User Info
I'm looking for your opinion on the best unscented natural/organic shaving soap and shaving cream currently available ?

My limited experience unfortunately shortens my list to:

Xpec unscented old formula, which is superb.I rate this 9.5/10 performance wise, or even 10/10.

Martin de Candre unscented, which is nice too. A bit dry post shave feel though. 9/10 rating.

What else is out there with absolute TOP PERFORMANCE (minimum 9/10 rating if you had to rate it)

Needs/demands:

Free from fragrance oils and essential oils.

Preferably limited amount of ingredients, but not a must.

Price is not a concern. Quality and performance are KEY here.

Let me hear your thoughts and opinion !

24 6,004
 01-12-2017, 03:55 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
AOS tallow unscented

113 1,523
 01-12-2017, 04:06 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
SdM unscented. Matt (Nero) recommended I try it and his recommendation was a good one. It has a very faint fragrance of honey if you put your nose to the puck.

Cheers, Steve

7 535
 01-12-2017, 06:15 AM
User Info
Sampsons All Natural (a clone of MdC, it's said), Soap Smooth Bordeaux, LASSC Unscented, Catie's Bubbles Le Nude, Wickham 1912 Unscented, Soap Commander Integrity, Stirling Unscented with Beeswax, Reef Point Unscented. I'd also add Brutalt Bra, which has such a light scent that's it's basically not there.

29 1,776
 01-12-2017, 07:08 AM
User Info
Mystic Water Sensitive Skin
Shannon's Soap Nil
Mike's unscented

83 21,098
 01-12-2017, 07:31 AM
User Info
LPL unscented is wonderful. It's also a great base for superlathers.

17 154
 01-12-2017, 06:03 PM
User Info
Thanks guys.

I'm doing a little experiment using unscented products during the colder winter months here, January and February, and will see if it makes a difference.

I have earlier on made posts about how we know very little about what fragrances and add ons in soaps and creams do to our skin and overall health.

I just have this open question, whether it's that smart to apply a fragranced soap/cream on our skin, where we cut the beard off with a sharp knife.

People have been using scented shaving soaps for probably 100's of years, but since we don't ave any research within this field we actually know very little about whether for instance our grandfathers or fathers have died from cancer or other diseases caused by using fragranced soaps and creams.

So I'm doing this little experiment to see if I die from boredom over using unscented shaving soaps and shaving creams Biggrin 

Just have this feeling, that even though I love scented shaving soaps/creams, it must be better for your skin to use shaving soaps/cream with less ingredients and less fragrance/Essential oils in them, in particular when applied to skin you open up by scraping it with a sharp razor blade.

I will look to get SDM Unsented, LPL unscented and Tabula Rasa Light cream first.

Also reading this thread makes me reconsider how healthy it really is to own the many soaps and creams I do in all these crazy scents:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=38836

24 6,004
 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-12-2017, 07:08 AM)celestino Wrote: Mystic Water Sensitive Skin
Shannon's Soap Nil

I like MW sensitive, too.
Have not tried Shannon's.

62 2,916
 01-12-2017, 06:39 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-12-2017, 04:06 AM)Steve56 Wrote: SdM unscented. Matt (Nero) recommended I try it and his recommendation was a good one. It has a very faint fragrance of honey if you put your nose to the puck.

Cheers, Steve

Yes sir. I have to use this again soon!

62 2,916
 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-12-2017, 03:55 AM)ARGH Wrote: AOS tallow unscented

I could use this every day. I do enjoy the scent of it, but not sure most people do. OTOH, it is a scent that, if you don't mind it, probably you'd never get tired of (the simpler = the better, in this respect, IME)

62 2,916
 01-12-2017, 09:09 PM
User Info
Some great suggestions already but I'd go with:

Creams: XPEC & T&H Ultimate Comfort
Soaps: SdM & Mystic

Maybe super lather XPEC Unscented with either soap Smile

192 1,588
 01-12-2017, 09:51 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I can't respond to this, as I love as much scent as I can get. Great thread, though!

6 374
 01-12-2017, 10:06 PM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 09:51 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I can't respond to this, as I love as much scent as I can get. Great thread, though!

I also love scents, just have doubts to whether I believe/trust it's a good thing to rub fragrance/perfume/essential oil based soaps and creams into your skin 3 times during a shave, where you peel off the outer layer with a razor sharp blade.

24 6,004
 01-12-2017, 11:00 PM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 09:09 PM)waveflow Wrote: Some great suggestions already but I'd go with:

Creams: XPEC & T&H Ultimate Comfort
Soaps: SdM & Mystic

Maybe super lather XPEC Unscented with either soap Smile

Good suggestions  Thumbup

24 6,004
 01-13-2017, 03:56 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-12-2017, 10:06 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 09:51 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I can't respond to this, as I love as much scent as I can get. Great thread, though!

I also love scents, just have doubts to whether I believe/trust it's a good thing to rub fragrance/perfume/essential oil based soaps and creams into your skin 3 times during a shave, where you peel off the outer layer with a razor sharp blade.

Ding ding ding!

62 2,916
 01-13-2017, 04:21 AM
User Info
Even more so with scented after shaves.

Applying perfumes or other other potent allergens to freshly shaved skin is not a good idea.
Better use perfume on other parts of your skin.

Umm, personally I have to admit using scented after shaves...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 90
 01-13-2017, 06:34 AM
User Info
(01-13-2017, 04:21 AM)apogee. Wrote: Even more so with scented after shaves.

Applying perfumes or other other potent allergens to freshly shaved skin is not a good idea.
Better use perfume on other parts of your skin.

Umm, personally I have to admit using scented after shaves...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

This is why I now use Thayers Unscented alcohol free toner after my shave followed by a mild after shave balm THEN add a couple of drops of a scented after shave splash to a cotton ball which I gently dab on the shaved skin.

I used to literally douche myself in after shave splash after the shave. Not sure how healthy that is in the long and short run honestly.

I know living is quite dangerous, you can AND WILL die from it eventually, but why not be aware of what you do while you still are healthy and alive I ask myself.
Now I'm starting to deal with it.

24 6,004
 01-13-2017, 06:37 PM
User Info
Meissner Puristic, and Pots of Milk.  I think the soap is a bit better than the cream, but I've no idea why. What ever happened to that gentleman from Germany who used to write about Meissner products all the time? He seemed to know everything about them.

I work in a scent-free environment, Sad so this is what I usually use during the week.

1 415
 01-13-2017, 07:22 PM
User Info
So far these are the soaps and creams I'm going with:

Soaps:
Stirling Besswax
Stirling Natural
Caties Le Nude
Mike's Natural Unscented
Savonniere du Moulin Unscented
LPL unscented
MDC Unscented
Tabula Rasa Unscented
Meißner Tremonia Purist
Meißner Tremonia Pots of Milk
Wickham 1912 Unscented
Phoenix & Beau Unscented
Barrister & Mann Latha Unscented
CRSW Unscented (If available)
Haslinger Scharfmilch

Shaving Soap Stick:
Mystic Water Sensitive

Creams:
Xpec
TF&H Ultimate
TOBS Natural
Esbjerg Sensitive
St. James Sensitive
AOS Unscented
Meißner Tremonia Purist (Paste version)
Meißner Tremonia Pots of Milk (Paste version)

Do you think I'm going to be able to live with these soaps and creams performance wise  Wink

I will probably sell most of the scented soaps & creams I own, only keeping the ones where I would like to keep the containers (Nuavia, MWF, CRSW Ceramic and I Coloniali Terracotta).

24 6,004
 01-14-2017, 05:15 AM
User Info
I sound like a broken record some days, but I'd recommend Mike's unscented.
On a side note, I'm curious what has spurred your worry on this subject Claus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,305