01-12-2017, 12:42 PM
User Info
Hi guys Smile

I'm looking for some advice on shaving outdoors.

In the summer time, I work as a hunting guide. For 3 months we take turist out and hunt for raindeer/caribou and musk ox.
Normally we will stay out for a week at the time, and only get back to town for one day, and then back out hunting, with the next team.
This one day we try to relax and recharge the batteries for the next trip. For me this offcourse means shaving.
But unfortunently for me, my coarse, curly facial hair irritates my skin alot. And the one week with out shaving, leaves my skin a mess, so now I want to try cold water shaving when I'm out at camp (for now just one pass).

I know summer is still months away, but wet shaving is my hobby, so I started preparing for this project already.

So far my dopp kit candidates are:

Razor: PAA Bakelite (I am also considering a Gillette tech as a milder alternative, as the Bakelite is a little rough on my skin in cold water)

Brush: Plisson Synthetic ... (I really prefer a synthetic with more backbone, but I'm not gonna bring my Mühle XL or the Chubby 2 thats on it's way, out into the wild) ... but looking for a cheaper alternative

Aftershave: Gentlemens Refinery Unscented balm and Fine Snakebite AS splash (which I might, or might not use) + sheabutter offcourse..

Soap/cream: ... help is really needed here.. PAA scent free..? (PAA is not my favourite, but its easy to use, and they have a scentless version)

Any advice you guys can give on shave gear, tecnique or just anything you feel is worth mentioning for shaving outdoors, is greatly appreciated.
We are hunting in west Greenland in the summer time. The air will be VERY dry. And we will be outdoors all the time, sleeping in tents. Wind and weather can be hard on the skin.
Also we first sail for 2 hours and then hike for several hours up into the mountains to get to camp. We are totally alone. No phone, no electricity, nothing. So I have to bring everything myself.
Durabilety is a big plus. Also no expensive hardware.

Finally I prefer unscented AS and soaps/cream as we are hunting game, but I am considering also some lighter scented alternatives (nothing heavy!)

Thank you for reading my loooong post.
Again any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I apologies in advance if anyone is offended by me writing about hunting.
In Greenland hunting is part of the culture, since people came here.
We use a boat with a small outboard engine in the lakes, but apart from that we do not use motorized vehicles (no trucks, ATV's etc.). We walk all day, and carry ALL the meat home, on our backs... plus I thought a bunch of badger brush lovers might not take offence Smile

1 112
 01-12-2017, 01:09 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
For the soap I'd suggest a Valobra stick.  Lightly scented, very small and light, excellent performance.

1 220
 01-12-2017, 01:17 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
If you're only going to do 1 pass, I would suggest a little more efficient razor than a tech.  Have you thought about a NEW?  They're still a fairly mild shaver, but much more efficient than a tech.  I would also suggest bringing some pre-shave oil.  It will help keep your skin moist in the dry conditions and protect your face if you don't get as good of a lather.  I'm not sure if Shave Secret is available there, but it's cheap and comes in a travel friendly bottle.

3 561
 01-12-2017, 01:43 PM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 01:17 PM)DayMan Wrote: If you're only going to do 1 pass, I would suggest a little more efficient razor than a tech.  Have you thought about a NEW?  They're still a fairly mild shaver, but much more efficient than a tech.  I would also suggest bringing some pre-shave oil.  It will help keep your skin moist in the dry conditions and protect your face if you don't get as good of a lather.  I'm not sure if Shave Secret is available there, but it's cheap and comes in a travel friendly bottle.

Pre-shave oil is a good idea!
So is the Valobra stick..

NEW as in a new razor, or is it a razor maker?

1 112
 01-12-2017, 02:15 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-12-2017, 01:43 PM)tyson81 Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 01:17 PM)DayMan Wrote: If you're only going to do 1 pass, I would suggest a little more efficient razor than a tech.  Have you thought about a NEW?  They're still a fairly mild shaver, but much more efficient than a tech.  I would also suggest bringing some pre-shave oil.  It will help keep your skin moist in the dry conditions and protect your face if you don't get as good of a lather.  I'm not sure if Shave Secret is available there, but it's cheap and comes in a travel friendly bottle.

Gillette NEW. They were made in a long comb and short comb version. I have the short comb. It's the only vintage razor I've tried that I like. I haven't tried the long comb yet.

3 561
 01-12-2017, 02:23 PM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 02:15 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 01:43 PM)tyson81 Wrote:

Gillette NEW. They were made in a long comb and short comb version. I have the short comb. It's the only vintage razor I've tried that I like. I haven't tried the long comb yet.

Thank you Smile I'll read up on it.

1 112
 01-12-2017, 02:24 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Kiss my face cream and thayers witch hazel

11 880
 01-12-2017, 03:01 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
My outdoors setup:

Valobra Stick or AOS Tallow unscented,
Merkur 34C (or 37C)
Simpsons M6
Thayers Witch hazel

113 1,497
 01-13-2017, 08:33 PM
User Info
* your favourite razor: travel Tech would be a good small option (you could use an older Trac II or other older cartridge razor, to eliminate the need for DE blade)
* your favourite blade
* synthetic brush (dries very quickly)
* La Toja or Valobra stick
* cold water to rinse
* unrefined shea butter (only small amount needed, it is a great moisturizer for any part of your body and it has a faint nutty smell, so only critters that would be interested in you would be squirrels or chipmunks)  Shy
* travel-size foldable mirror; to see what you are doing

83 21,081
 01-13-2017, 10:28 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the replies so far.

The Valobra stick is a popular suggestion. I will definently look into it.
I'm also looking at Caties Le Nude in the 2oz.

The travel Tech sounds interesting. It would be my first vintage razor. I will look at the prices.
I am gonna bring a DE razor, no cartridge.
I'll just have to haul the blades up there (we do get one day off a week back in town. So I might not have to bring more than 1 or 2 blades per trip)
We have lots of melt water lakes from the Ice cap (cleaner than bottled water), up in the mountains, so I wont need to haul water Wink

I'm already bringing sheabutter. Ditching splash and balm, and just use shea for everything, would definently save weight and space.

Any brush suggestions? Are all the 10$ Plisson copies the same?
Anybody know of a cheap synthetic with a little more backbone?

1 112
 01-14-2017, 04:25 AM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 02:24 PM)celar36 Wrote: Kiss my face cream and thayers witch hazel

I go along with Celar36.

1 442
 01-14-2017, 07:03 AM
User Info
If I were in your position, I'd skip wet-shaving altogether and use a stubble trimmer instead. I've done the daily, outdoors, wet-shaving thing in dry weather before, and (IMHO) it's more hassle than it's worth. Just shave when you return to base camp.

28 1,098
 01-14-2017, 12:28 PM
User Info
(01-14-2017, 07:03 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: If I were in your position, I'd skip wet-shaving altogether and use a stubble trimmer instead. I've done the daily, outdoors, wet-shaving thing in dry weather before, and (IMHO) it's more hassle than it's worth. Just shave when you return to base camp.

I know its a hassle, but unfortunently a whole week without shaving is not good for my skin. I was hoping if I could just get in one quick shave in the middle of the week, and a proper one at the end of the week when we are "off duty".

I stubble trimmer is not a bad idea. This is also why I'm thinking mild shaver and maybe only one pass. I just want to keep the stubble under control, until I can get in a good shave at the end of the week.
Unfortunently we do not have electricety for the week we are out, so I dont think I can use the stubble trimmer.
When we are out hunting and the trimmer is back in the tent, the batteri will die. Especially as the temperature gets lower (we are hunting from mid august until mid octobet just north of the polar circle).

1 112
 01-14-2017, 12:41 PM
User Info
An interesting question with lots of interesting ideas.  My only contribution -- if you can do without the brush, look into a brushless cream.  I think KMF is brushless?  This would cut down on some of the prep and cleaning and eliminate the worry about the knot drying, etc.  That being said, not sure I could go a week without using a shaving brush!  Good luck and keep us updated.  I expect this will be an evolving setup.

17 1,429
 01-14-2017, 01:46 PM
User Info
I lived in the African bush for an extended period of time (~6 months). I found if I could heat my water, (even in a camp percolator), it made life a little more enjoyable. I've even used a bean can with a wire loop for a handle. If your can use items as duel duty, it can same a lot of space. I've used a dot of vaseline as handle cream or face balm in dry conditions; worked great. try all your equipment prior to going out to make sure you have no reactions. German travel razors are excellent to shave with and are very inexpensive. I used a very small synthetic brush and can be bought cheap. Hope this helps.   Cool

0 596
 01-15-2017, 08:30 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-14-2017, 12:41 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: if you can do without the brush, look into a brushless cream.  I think KMF is brushless?  

KMF can be used either way, brushless or lather, and the Lavender & Shea variety of KMF (unlike the other KMF creams) contains shea butter, partially to address the skin-drying issue.  However, considering only the brushless side, Aubrey Organics’ Men’s Stock Northwoods shaving cream is, IMHO, a better (more glide, more protection) product.  (If a brush and hot water are available, the KMF, lathered up, is better than the Aubrey brushless.)  And as for the skin drying, unrefined shea butter, especially Nilotica (East African) shea butter, applied after the shave, will moisturize the skin more effectively than the limited amount of shea butter contained in any shaving soap or shaving cream.

1 1,089
 01-15-2017, 09:41 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Have you thought about getting some Beard oil too apply throughout the week? That will keep your hair soft and skin moisturized and you can just shave on the weekend.

3 561
 01-15-2017, 03:38 PM
User Info
(01-15-2017, 08:30 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: as for the skin drying, unrefined shea butter, especially Nilotica (East African) shea butter, applied after the shave, will moisturize the skin more effectively than the limited amount of shea butter contained in any shaving soap or shaving cream.

Thank you. I've used sheabutter for years, but never knew about the difference between western and eastern shea.
I've ordered some shea nilotica.

1 112
 01-15-2017, 03:42 PM
User Info
(01-14-2017, 01:46 PM)GreeneMD Wrote: I lived in the African bush for an extended period of time (~6 months). I found if I could heat my water, (even in a camp percolator), it made life a little more enjoyable. I've even used a bean can with a wire loop for a handle. If your can use items as duel duty, it can same a lot of space. I've used a dot of vaseline as handle cream or face balm in dry conditions; worked great. try all your equipment prior to going out to make sure you have no reactions. German travel razors are excellent to shave with and are very inexpensive. I used a very small synthetic brush and can be bought cheap. Hope this helps.   Cool

Yes we can heat water in the camp. I just might have to do that. So far my at home experiments with cold water shaving, have not gone so well.

1 112
 01-15-2017, 04:08 PM
User Info
I found an Italian military mirror that has a stand on it's back; is not only durable, but enjoyable to use. This said a vehicle side mirror also works great and saves weight and space. If you keep in mind its for beard reduction and not presentation. Keeping it simple is the best.  Cool

0 596