08-12-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
While I don't have mine yet (it's still sitting in customs), I was hoping our European friends that already have the brush would share their first impressions of the brush. Then as they keep trickling in we can add to the thread to get a nice consensus on how this brush performs.

31 7,914
 08-12-2012, 07:28 AM
User Info
i have also been waiting on a review of the brush from someone other than Teiste. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 08-12-2012, 11:15 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-12-2012, 07:28 AM)celestino Wrote: i have also been waiting on a review of the brush from someone other than Teiste. Hee hee.

I think Oversaturn have gave us his opinions about this brush.

86 7,124
 08-12-2012, 11:23 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-12-2012, 06:51 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: While I don't have mine yet (it's still sitting in customs), I was hoping our European friends that already have the brush would share their first impressions of the brush. Then as they keep trickling in we can add to the thread to get a nice consensus on how this brush performs.

Oh, I think we can be pretty sure of that, Brian, but having a central thread is a great idea. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
User Info
Didn't Wegian Warrior give a mini review? Maybe we can press him to do a more in depth write up.

32 6,311
 08-12-2012, 09:15 PM
User Info
No, I didn't do that yet... however:

I used the TSN LE brush on my face for the first time today. It has gotten three test lathers before getting to this; one with pure glycerine soap, one with Mike's Unscented and one with Col Conks Bay Rum.
The TSN LE brush is... (drumroll) ...very nice. A bit of a lather-hog, and needs more breaking in - but I can see it'll blossom into a great brush after a few more shaves, as long as I load it heavily.

More to come once I gotten to know the brush better Biggrin

3 3,580
 08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-12-2012, 09:15 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: No, I didn't do that yet... however:

I used the TSN LE brush on my face for the first time today. It has gotten three test lathers before getting to this; one with pure glycerine soap, one with Mike's Unscented and one with Col Conks Bay Rum.
The TSN LE brush is... (drumroll) ...very nice. A bit of a lather-hog, and needs more breaking in - but I can see it'll blossom into a great brush after a few more shaves, as long as I load it heavily.

More to come once I gotten to know the brush better Biggrin

Hans,us the brush like 5 or 6 times more and the brush would be fully ready to reward you with good lather and soft tips.You will notice the difference,my friend.

86 7,124
 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM
User Info
I know.. it's bloomed somewhat since I took it out of the brush, and it's obviously not done cooking yet. I'm sad to say my other brushes wont see much action this week Tongue

3 3,580
 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM
User Info
The prototype Teiste let me try has soft bristles, good backbone, with a little bit of scritch if you use a circle stroke. If you use paintbrush strokes, just like a good grey/best (some black too) badger brush, you won't feel anything but softness.

9 2,988
 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
This has been a first for me. I know it is an awful waste....but I like to collect Limited Edition brushes, and up until now I have just displayed them. This has been the first one I have used. Initial impressions are good. The brush is starting to bloom after only two shaves. I found todays shave with Nanny's Soap to require a little more work. The brush feels quite dense at the moment.....but then.....it is 50% boar. I fully expect things to improve dramatically over the next few days/weeks and as it breaks in the Nanny's will explode! Semogue in my opinion make the best Boars and High end Badgers. With that combination of quality.....you can't really go wrong. By the way.....I face lather.

1 561
 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
User Info
I'm already expecting to be well impressed with the TSN 2012 LE. I have the bonus of having a Caravela. I see this as a great compliment brush to it. A bit smaller with a bit longer loft to help alleviate some of the denseness. Improved flowthrough, I think it'll feel as large or just a smidge larger than the Caravela thanks to the loft, be excellent with creams, while the Caravela would do well with soaps. I'm not saying it can't do both, but I just see this as how I would prefer to use them. Cool

10 463
 08-13-2012, 02:48 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
I am afraid that the Caravela is one of the LEs I have yet to use.....but it is next on my list!

1 561
 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
User Info
(08-13-2012, 02:48 PM)madmedic Wrote: I am afraid that the Caravela is one of the LEs I have yet to use.....but it is next on my list!

Brian,
You just may need to start a thread chronicling all of your unused LE brushes and how you are about to use them. Since you caved with the TSN, and sounds like you may cave with the Caravela, then you might as well try them all and give us the blow by blow as it happens! Besides, I'm curious as to what all you have sitting around that I'd stand on my head to have the chance to own and use. Winky

31 7,914
 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
Off the top of my head

A personalised SMF Shavemac Silvertip in Olive wood
An SMF Silvertip by Rooney
B&B Muhle/EJ Super Silvertip and matching Razor (Faux Horn)
B&B Semogue LE Blue Boar
Semogue 2010 LE
Semogue Caravela

I missed out on the Semogue LEs last year because I considered them to be a little expensive and not sufficiently different. I am now waiting for someone to come up with a Muhle Synthetic . If that happens .....I will bite an arm off to get it!!!!

plus 6 unused Semogue Boars and 5 Vie-Long Horse Hair. All my other brushes have been used....although perhaps not recently.My preferences have changed over the years.

OK......I like brushesWink

1 561
 08-13-2012, 05:26 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
So perhaps this is a silly question but what the heck. Since this is a Boar/Badger mixed brush should I soak the brush prior to use like a boar or should I simply wet the brush before I load the brush like a badger?

3 497
 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
I Soak. Boar needs soaked!

1 561
 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
It really depends on your preference. I've heard of people doing both. Myself I soak all my brushes for the most part, but I've read some people will only run their boars under the sink for a bit to help retain some backbone and I can see them doing that as it does lessen the boar softening up excessively and I've done that with some boars at times.

10 463
 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I soak my badger brushes for 5 minutes and my boar and boar/mixed brushes for 10-15 minutes. That just works better for me.

173 23,553
 08-13-2012, 08:14 PM
User Info
i have to agree with the above advice, soak the brush.

75 20,883
 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
User Info
I soaked it, worked fine for me. Didn't feel much backbone though. That said, I don't have boar to compare it to.

9 2,988