01-18-2017, 10:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Over the past three years I've purchased two or three straights from a well respected vendor on eBay. He primarily sold quality vintage straights, many of them NOS, at a reasonable price, and both he an his wife were always very cordial. Occasionally he would contact me with photos of his recent acquisitions to see whether I was interested, and I therefore wasn't surprised when he contacted me recently. He had some beautiful razors, and it wasn't difficult to decide to purchase one. I was somewhat suspicious when he asked for payment as a friend rather than for goods, but based on previous positive interactions, went ahead with the purchase. After posting photos of the razor, a couple of gentlemen from SRP contacted me with information that he had been contacting previous customers and after making a sale, wasn't sending their razors to them. Since money was sent to a friend, Paypal won't intervene.

I'm posting this primarily so that others are aware of the risks involved in sending money to a friend, rather paying for goods, when using Paypal. Fortunately, I can financially afford to learn a lesson from my mistake, but many others can't. Also, I'm hoping that others might share similar experiences  so that we all become smarter consumers of the products we love.

38 5,108
 01-18-2017, 10:30 PM
User Info
Tsk.. I'm sorry to hear this. Thank you for the heads up. I too have been taken advantage of before, and I still feel bad about it from time to time.

We just learn from it, while the experience reinforces our resolve to treat others with honesty and integrity.

11 1,169
 01-19-2017, 05:08 AM
User Info
Bad luck mate. Caveat emptor...as they say. (We've all been taken at one time or another)  Angry

39 3,919
 01-19-2017, 05:55 AM
User Info
Digital thugs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 795
 01-19-2017, 06:08 AM
User Info
Sorry about your financial loss Richard.  We all need to be reminded of the scams constantly going on in e-commerce.

50 6,063
 01-19-2017, 06:27 AM
User Info
It always amazes me that people get away with this. People that pull these stunts (theft) need simple jail time or at least hefty fines. I wish there was a place we could put list ebay venders on that would warn others of truly dishonest sellers. Kind of like BBB.

0 596
 01-19-2017, 07:28 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Welcome in the club 2 years ago I written here story how I lost my Feather AS-DS2 and Portable to a "Friend" in the trade.....

I am really sorry it happened to you. Hope you wont get discourage to SR after this event!

11 880
 01-19-2017, 08:47 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Sorry to hear that Richard.  When I am asked to pay F&F via PayPal I simply offer to cover the fees and so far have not had any issues.  If someone responded to my offer with any excuses then I would walk away completely.  I have received several payments via F&F, but to be honest it makes shipping a bit more work and I don't mind PayPal taking a small fee for the convenience and protection they provide.

144 2,749
 01-19-2017, 09:25 AM
User Info
Sorry to hear it, Richard. It's good that you shared your experience. We all need an occasional reminder to keep our guard up.

0 1,070
 01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Works as a song title, too Wink

Richard, what gets my goat is that you had a prior relationship with this person. It always amazes me that people can be so callous and calculating. I mean, who thinks like that? Who plots and plans for years to gain a guy's trust just to crap all over it, just for the price of a razor?!? Con artists, that's who! This just roasts my weanie!!!

I apologize for my language and excessive punctuation.

7 2,134
 01-19-2017, 01:50 PM
User Info
Richard-  Sorry to hear that this happened.  Thanks for being so open and posting this as a PSA for others.

Quote:When I am asked to pay F&F via PayPal I simply offer to cover the fees and so far have not had any issues.  If someone responded to my offer with any excuses then I would walk away completely. 

I do the same as @blzrfn -- I'd rather pay the fees myself for the peace of mind than to do the F+F.

17 1,413
 01-19-2017, 02:08 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
That's unfortunate, Richard...

I've received such payments in the past from fellow shavers. I always appreciate them. I never ask for them. It's up to the people you deal with. Either the payments are for service or FF, it's the same to me, you have to honor the person that trusted you his money for some items you put for sale. You build a relationship. It's unfortunate when you read such stories of people trying to take advantage of fellows. This is a gentlemen's hobby.

49 1,996
 01-19-2017, 03:03 PM
User Info
I thought nothing could beat a long term relationship ...

Sorry to read this.

8 1,126
 01-19-2017, 03:18 PM
User Info
Regardless of whether the seller might request pymt as a friend or not, since it's my money and I know anything can happen for any reason, I pay as a buyer of goods. If it happens to be an instance of somebody in financial need who may be so broke and somehow deprived of paying paypal a couple of bucks, I have from time to time tossed in a few dollars extra. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to use the friends when it's just a business transaction. The friends option is a wonderful means of sending money of course, and it has its place under the proper circumstances. I don't think I respect folks who openly seek to cheat paypal. Just asking by itself is an admission of an intent to wrongdoing, so why do it?

24 1,226
 01-19-2017, 03:22 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-19-2017, 03:18 PM)brothers Wrote: Regardless of whether the seller might request pymt as a friend or not, since it's my money and I know anything can happen for any reason, I pay as a buyer of goods. If it happens to be an instance of somebody in financial need who may be so broke and somehow deprived of paying paypal a couple of bucks, I have from time to time tossed in a few dollars extra. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to use the friends when it's just a business transaction. The friends option is a wonderful means of sending money of course, and it has its place under the proper circumstances. I don't think I respect folks who openly seek to cheat paypal. Just asking by itself is an admission of an intent to wrongdoing, so why do it?

Agreed.

102 18,650
 01-21-2017, 02:53 PM
User Info
Always pay as goods and services... If they have any issue offer to add 4% for the fee they are charged. If they still have an issue, don't buy it.

Sorry you got duped!! Carma comes around...

0 9
 01-21-2017, 11:52 PM
User Info
I tend to be trusting of niche communities like wetshaving, so this is a good reminder.

27 1,080
 01-22-2017, 04:34 AM
User Info
I have asked for payment with F&F on Paypal but only if the prospective buyer was comfortable doing so and we were actively involved in negotiating a price for an item or service like honing that I offer, I also have paid F&F to the seller and have luckily never been taken advantage of, I am sorry you were taken advantage of, all transactions I have made within the Forum here have been outstandingly positive.

6 1,335
 01-22-2017, 09:50 AM
User Info
I've suggested to folks, for private sales only, not business, that if the person wanted to save a buck to pay me F&F. Yeah, I know Paypal says not to do this, but I would give 2 prices. One that assumed the payment would be for merchandise, that would be the listed price. Then privately I would give the reduced price w/o the PP overhead. I think most of us simply don't have it in our hearts to screw others over.

It takes a very evil person to set someone up like that over time.

32 6,459
 01-22-2017, 10:16 AM
User Info
That sucks!

2 328