08-12-2012, 01:48 PM
User Info
I finally came to realize after shaving with either a DE or a SE for a while now that I simply CANNOT do 3 passes on my neck. For the longest time I would do 3 passes on my cheeks and on my neck, with my neck ending up filled with razor burn, bumps and ingrown hairs.

Now and probably for the last two months, I do 3 passes on my cheeks and 2 passes on my neck. This has left me with a sufficient shave and a lot less irritation on my neck.

the moral of the story: know the limits of your skin and adjust accordingly. Smile

40 5,830
 08-12-2012, 01:54 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-12-2012, 01:48 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I finally came to realize after shaving with either a DE or a SE for a while now that I simply CANNOT do 3 passes on my neck. For the longest time I would do 3 passes on my cheeks and on my neck, with my neck ending up filled with razor burn, bumps and ingrown hairs.

Now and probably for the last two months, I do 3 passes on my cheeks and 2 passes on my neck. This has left me with a sufficient shave and a lot less irritation on my neck.

the moral of the story: know the limits of your skin and adjust accordingly. Smile

Exactly, Andrew. That is why the members of the wet shaving community are almost always stating that what works for them may not for anyone else (YMMV). That includes hardware, software, and technique. These posts are what help both new and experienced wet shavers. I am fortunate in that I can do a three pass shave on both my face and neck with a fair bit of comfort. Your experience shows that that is not universally true.

2 11,211
 08-12-2012, 02:09 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
What he said! ^
Newcomers expect to start shaving and magically have BBS every single time. Not going to work. It's a skill, it takes time to develop. And even after you've mastered it, still YMMVx100.
Everyone has different skin, hair, water, etc. Don't kill yourself and take enjoyment out of shaving.
Know your limits...

88 4,233
 08-12-2012, 02:15 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I usually do two passes on my neck, WTG and ATG.

10 1,120
 08-12-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
(08-12-2012, 02:15 PM)MickToley Wrote: I usually do two passes on my neck, WTG and ATG.

I just usually go down and then up on my neck. seems to work decent enough for me.

40 5,830
 08-12-2012, 03:41 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Twos all my neck can take also

115 1,692
 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM
User Info
Same here with the neck. Good for you, Andrew.

75 20,883
 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I agree and I was at this same point but persevered to a point where I can ultimately do a three pass shave with touch up on all areas of my face and neck.

I probably should have just left it alone but with continued patience and beard mapping after multiple grow out's, I found that if I took the north/south-south/north passes and turned them diagonally a bit, I was able to shave the areas with no irritation at all where there was initially pain and irritation, sometimes on the second pass and always on the third pass even if it was another WTG effort even without trying the ATG pass at all.

I'm not sure if this is the "Gillette Slide" or just a product of much more serious beard mapping than I originally had done.

I tried J-Hooking the area as well as Blade Buffing and then re-reviewed Charles Roberts "Cutting Forms" and got the idea to go at it a bit differently and thankfully, it worked for me.

If you are content to stay with what works and it's fantastic that it works for you, that's great! Having a wicked case of OCD, I felt that I needed to push myself to try and find a way to achieve what I wanted.

6 905
 08-14-2012, 09:06 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
2 passes is the magic number for me too. I generally get a little irritation with a third pass, but not always. I've tried multiple WTG passes with success, little or no irritation but reduced longevity. I am also favouring 2 razors in one shave. An aggressive OC (e.g. R41) for the first pass and then a more comfortable SB (e.g. Weber DLC) for the subsequent pass (or passes). Although not a regular occurrence it does help justify all my hardware!

91 17,875
 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Three passes everyday like clock work. WTG,ATG,WTG. Chin XTG.

100 12,449
 08-14-2012, 11:01 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
It always amazes me how people can go from WTG to ATG without an XTG. Good stuff and I am jealous!

I've tried multiple ATG's, and WTG's, even the other direction with the ATG's and no dice. I don't seem to cut any hair the second go around with a same way pass. I find that I absolutely need all three passes in all three directions and I had to find some way to get it.

6 905
 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM
User Info
(08-14-2012, 11:01 AM)EHV Wrote: It always amazes me how people can go from WTG to ATG without an XTG. Good stuff and I am jealous!

I've tried multiple ATG's, and WTG's, even the other direction with the ATG's and no dice. I don't seem to cut any hair the second go around with a same way pass. I find that I absolutely need all three passes in all three directions and I had to find some way to get it.

I do WTG, XTG, then ATG but one day I absent-mindedly forgot the XTG. It really irritated my face!

0 282
 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I can get a DFS or BBS on my checks, no problem. On my neck, I have come to the conclusion that two passes, WTG and XTG, are all I can handle. If I need to, I do remaining rough spots individually and verrrrry carefully. I have to be quite careful around my mouth and sometimes I just take what I can get. Undecided

I am coming to realize that not every shave is going to be even a DFS. I am paying more attention to how my skin feels, and, regardless of technique, when it has had enough, I quit. I might get a great shave the next day, but if I mess my skin up it can take days to heal and detracts from the process. I don't know why more emphasis is not placed on adjusting expectations according to what skin problems you have to deal with. YMMV is pretty vague.

I know there is a lot of evangelization in the shaving videos (never a cut or a weeper Wink), but I think more new comers would stick with it if expectations were something less than a BBS every time.

16 545
 08-14-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
(08-14-2012, 11:01 AM)EHV Wrote: It always amazes me how people can go from WTG to ATG without an XTG. Good stuff and I am jealous!

I was in the same boat as Andrew, thought there was no hope for my neck and tried to work away with several XTG passes. Eventually I just said 'screw it' and went ATG after the initial WTG pass and my necks never been better.

I will say though that as cookey as Charles Roberts is, his 'method' gave me a few ides. I don't copy anything he preaches but adapted some things.

0 241
 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
Dirty Harry was right, of course, when he said "A man's got to know his limitations".

My neck is a problem area regardless of what razor I use. I always have to do a bit of j-hooking or blade-buffing (or both) in order to get my neck to bbs quality. So regardless of the razor, it's WTG, XTG and ATG - plus a touch up every time.

66 692
 08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
User Info
A year after starting TWS and I'm still tweaking the passes on my neck. I'm using XTG/ATG/XTG for 3 passes on my neck. WTG passes never did much for me.

Mapping your beard growth is very important, especially on the neck I've found. Only then do I truly know what direction XTG and ATG are.

9 1,199