01-22-2017, 11:02 AM
User Info
Hello everyone,

On this day of rest (without shaving), I wanted to present you the preferred LPL: Rose de pushkar.

To contextualize, LPL is the brand developed by Cyril, a French craftsman who wanted to pay tribute to his grandfather through his work.
Hence the photo of his grandfather on his labels. Cyril perpetually improves its soap to make it even more protective.

The LPL brand includes not only shaving soaps, but also after shave as well as shower soaps.

On our French forum, was conducted a study by one of our members or after trial of 19 rose soaps determined the Pushkar LPL Rose as the best according to its criteria.
I will present the LPL "rose de pushkar" as objectively as possible, to note that I am an unconditional LPL (rose de pushkar, cyprès-boisé, abricot, LE RT 2016, Lainess....).

Mounting the foam :
Like all LPLs, it takes some time (90 seconds) and enough water to be successful. The foam is then particularly unctuous.

Protection during shaving :
When your foam is perfectly successful, protection is good. Your shave will satisfy you, but the protection could be improved if the soap was composed like its big brothers of shea butter.

I have good news for you, Cyril soon releases his LPL Rose de Pushkar enriched with shea butter.

Scent :
I am attached to the scent of rose and I find on this point the Cyril soap very successful and close to the reality of the pink fragrance. I love this LPL which remains my favorite at the moment.

In conclusion :
The LPL soaps are in my eyes particular, and although this pink of pushkar is not the most protective (for now), it remains unique and apart from the fact especially its unique scent. I look forward to her new version enriched with shea butter.
[Image: xpta5jl.jpg]

Today, I wished to make pictures of a foam climb from my LPL Pink of pushkar !!
Two very good passes, but using the lainess for the third pass, I admit that the soaps enriched in shea butter / mildew annuity still protect more.

[Image: TBCD0KT.jpg]

[Image: 1Bou1XF.jpg]

0 233
 01-22-2017, 11:19 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I don't know why some seem to have problems lathering this soap... It's not rocket science.

I know, it's the water quality.

Lathering the LPL Rose de Pushkar with a very inexpensive synthetic brush.

[Image: 20161213_211312_zps1phcufak.jpg]

[Image: 20161213_211332_zpsz1egmxay.jpg]

49 2,016
 01-22-2017, 11:25 AM
  • Bouki
  • Sandwich Islands
User Info
Rose de Pushkar, soon to be enriched with shea butter! Life just got even better.

5 163
 01-22-2017, 11:25 AM
User Info
LPL RDP is also my favourite rose along with the darker C&S 88.

I preferably use LPL during the summer since - as you mention - tghey don't offer quite the after shave protection the tallow based soaps does.
But the LPL Tallow has changed that, and if Cyril starts to make all his soaps with tallow in the base, it would be an improvement on an already fantastic shaving soap product.

I know LPL Oud Santal ShaveNook edition will contain tallow, so that should be a hit, once it is ready.

24 6,018
 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM
User Info
your lathering is perfect !!

I do not have to worry about getting a nice foam with this soap, but as Cyril says, it is necessary to work the foam long enough with enough water, and even with a bristle of natural hair, we obtain a Very beautiful lathering.

I will have to lathering pictures Smile

0 233
 01-22-2017, 11:30 AM
User Info
(01-22-2017, 11:19 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I don't know why some seem to have problems lathering this soap... It's not rocket science.

I know, it's the water quality.

Lathering the LPL Rose de Pushkar with a very inexpensive synthetic brush.

[Image: 20161213_211312_zps1phcufak.jpg]

[Image: 20161213_211332_zpsz1egmxay.jpg]

Nico,

I have never had lather problems with LPL nor Sapo Varesino, like some others have, but as you may know MWF and Lea Classic were a pain in the arse for me, and I still hear people almost smiling, that kind of a veteran like me can't lather MWF and trying to explain in 50 lines long posts on how they do, when I know very well how to load a brush with enough soap and face lather properly by now.

My conclusion simply is, that either our skin chemistry, water hardness or a combination of both just makes some soaps NOT work for SOME of us, no matter what we do.

As said LPL and Sapo Vare, of which I own 8 of each, just lathers very easily for me and lather does not dissipate at all.

24 6,018
 01-22-2017, 11:30 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
About the protection during the shave, I am very satisfied. I've never had any problem, even with my most aggressive razors. I've even tried it with the iKon Tech and others. No problems. I have a heavy, tough beard and protection matters to me. So, to be honest, I don't think it lacks on protection.

49 2,016
 01-22-2017, 11:40 AM
User Info
Effectively, the enrichment of the pink of pushkar in butter of shea is an excellent news.

Cyril does not believe that tallow plays a role in protection. He thinks that the shea butter plays a much more important role in the consistency of the foam?

0 233
 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Yes, many believe that a tallow soap is more protective than a vegan. One of the biggest myths in this hobby.

By the way, Cyril is a nice guy. I had some issues with a couple of his soaps last year, they came to me unscented, while they were supposed to be scented( Cedre Patchouli, Cypres Boise). I received replacements. Maybe the artisan had some QC issues that I hope he resolved. Next time I decide to purchase another, I'll make sure the vendor smell the soap before sending it to me.

Since you are a French and you prefer using products of your country, I'd suggest you to try a Savon de Volcans soap. It's better and less expensive than LPL. You'll have a hard time finding a negative comment about this excellent soap.

49 2,016
 01-22-2017, 12:02 PM
User Info
(01-22-2017, 11:40 AM)PapySnake Wrote: Effectively, the enrichment of the pink of pushkar in butter of shea is an excellent news.

Cyril does not believe that tallow plays a role in protection. He thinks that the shea butter plays a much more important role in the consistency of the foam?

I personally feel tallow & shea butter are both very important factors in how well a shaving soap protects you,

But soaps, that contain tallow just give me that extra rich slick protection after shave.

24 6,018
 01-22-2017, 12:08 PM
User Info
(01-22-2017, 11:59 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Yes, many believe that a tallow soap is more protective than a vegan. One of the biggest myths in this hobby.

By the way, Cyril is a nice guy. I had some issues with a couple of his soaps last year, they came to me unscented, while they were supposed to be scented( Cedre Patchouli, Cypres Boise). I received replacements. Maybe the artisan had some QC issues that I hope he resolved. Next time I decide to purchase another, I'll make sure the vendor smell the soap before sending it to me.

Since you are a French and you prefer using products of your country, I'd suggest you to try a Savon de Volcans soap. It's better and less expensive than LPL. You'll have a hard time finding a negative comment about this excellent soap.

I have a negtive comment or two about SDV  Biggrin

I sold all my 8 SDV's, because they come in the worst plastic pots I have yet to experience.
On top of that 4 out of 8 of my labels came off shortly after I started using them and I had to use superglue to put them back on the lids.
To end my rant, the SDV pots are the smallest diameter pots I have yet to see, and I hate that.

None of my 8 SDV soaps could come out of the pots, without me having to cut the pots up and cut into the soaps, so I could not just put the pucks in another worthy container.

I ended up giving away and selling all my SDV soaps.

Soap performance: TOP NOTCH
Soap presentation: TERRIBLE

YMMV

24 6,018
 01-22-2017, 12:11 PM
User Info

Hello, I know "savon des volcans".

I tested a lot of brands elsewhere:
Mike's, WSP, Razorock, and others, 3P etc ...

I must confess that none bring me anything that brings me a LPL: gliding, protection and quality after shaving.

That is why I remain faithful today only to LPL (although I still test new brands to always try to evolve my feel and my opinion).

The LPL apricot, soon available again is already composed of shea butter, indeed, it is the most protective LPL that I know and my favorite, I like the fruity and sweet floral scents.

For my part, it is his best soap with the equally protective lainess range.

I love its LE RT 2016, but it is suet, we like it or not, I find it however more protective than LPL shea butter type apricot.

[Image: C2V7S6j.jpg]

0 233
 01-22-2017, 12:30 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Pancarta 

Performance is a lot more important than presentation. A lot more.

I'd buy this soap even if it came in a carton.

Also, when we talk about small artisans we forget one basic thing. They're not big companies or well- known artisans that sell a few thousands of soaps every time they release a soap, for example B&M. They don't know many things about marketing. They're one man or a woman who knows how to make a good soap. No more, no less. Maybe soapmaking is not their regular work. They're not participating in forums, they don't have fanboys or people who get crazy when they release a soap. I have a lot more respect and appreciation for these small makers. B&M or others may have a better presentation, again SDV presentation is not that bad anyway, mine are perfect, but they're inferior to SDV. I'd prefer a SDV soap with a not so good presentation to any B&M or PAA product that has a better presentation, but the performance of the soap itself is not better in any way than SDV. On top of that, SDV and French soaps in general have nice, delicate and pleasant scents, while some of the artisans that offer a better presentation have synthetic, cheap FO blended scents that will probably cause problems to a large group of people. And this is my opinion. Performance is what matters to me the most. Of course, I like a good presentation, I have eyes and see, but this is not what I'm looking for.

49 2,016
 01-22-2017, 12:53 PM
User Info
I appreciate your very constructive opinion!

Cyril allias LPL has become a friend with time, and indeed, it attaches a real importance to the quality of its soaps and tends to take care more and more of its packaging, just to see the quality of its new metal boxes.

0 233
 01-22-2017, 01:33 PM
User Info
(01-22-2017, 12:30 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Pancarta 

Also, when we talk about small artisans we forget one basic thing. They're not big companies or well- known artisans that sell a few thousands of soaps every time they release a soap, for example B&M. They don't know many things about marketing. They're one man or a woman who knows how to make a good soap. No more, no less. Maybe soapmaking is not their regular work. They're not participating in forums, they don't have fanboys or people who get crazy when they release a soap. I have a lot more respect and appreciation for these small makers. B&M or others may have a better presentation, again SDV presentation is not that bad anyway, mine are perfect, but they're inferior to SDV. I'd prefer a SDV soap with a not so good presentation to any B&M or PAA product that has a better presentation, but the performance of the soap itself is not better in any way than SDV. On top of that, SDV and French soaps in general have nice, delicate and pleasant scents, while some of the artisans that offer a better presentation have synthetic, cheap FO blended scents that will probably cause problems to a large group of people. And this is my opinion. Performance is what matters to me the most. Of course, I like a good presentation, I have eyes and see, but this is not what I'm looking for.

I actually consider sending SDV an email asking if they can sell me SDV in 150 gram hard blocks without box, then I can find my own container for the soap.
If the container limits the loading of the brush on the soap, presentation can actually ruin a soap for me, so for me presentation does matter, in this case.

When it comes to just looks, I agree, presentation is almost irrelevant.

24 6,018
 01-22-2017, 01:42 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(01-22-2017, 01:33 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-22-2017, 12:30 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Pancarta 

I actually consider sending SDV an email asking if they can sell me SDV in 150 gram hard blocks without box, then I can find my own container for the soap.
If the container limits the loading of the brush on the soap, presentation can actually ruin a soap for me, so for me presentation does matter, in this case.

When it comes to just looks, I agree, presentation is almost irrelevant.

Claus, I don't know if they read this forum, but if they do, they now know how to upgrade their soap presentation. Feedback is very important for all of us.

About a month ago, I sent an email to a greek artisan soapmaker( Soap Adventure) regarding their small plastic containers, which didn't help loading your brush. Soon new wider aluminum containers were available. So, feedback can help them. Most of them don't know what people think about their soaps, I'm referring to small artisan companies, they probably don't read forums. They just read the reviews on their sites.

49 2,016
 01-22-2017, 02:05 PM
User Info
Buy the soap and replace it in a container that will suit you better (type ikea or other boxes)

0 233
 01-22-2017, 04:16 PM
User Info
(01-22-2017, 02:05 PM)PapySnake Wrote: Buy the soap and replace it in a container that will suit you better (type ikea or other boxes)

If i was that simple, I would not have sold my 8 SDV's.

The only way I could get them out was to cut the container up and cut into the hard soaps.
I didn't fancy doing that.

In order for me to cut it out of the container, I had to cut quite deep into the side of the soap, just very unprofessional and overall not my cup of tea.

SDV is good, but not that good.
I have manye other soaps, that give me the same great performance, LPL is one fo them, CRSW another one, B&M a thrids, Tabula Rasa a 4.th etc.

24 6,018
 01-23-2017, 01:40 AM
User Info
(01-22-2017, 04:16 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-22-2017, 02:05 PM)PapySnake Wrote: Buy the soap and replace it in a container that will suit you better (type ikea or other boxes)

The only way I could get them out was to cut the container up and cut into the hard soaps.

In order for me to cut it out of the container, I had to cut quite deep into the side of the soap, just very unprofessional and overall not my cup of tea.

I have manye other soaps, that give me the same great performance, LPL is one fo them, CRSW another one, B&M a thrids, Tabula Rasa a 4.th etc.

I understand your problem, I confess that I would not buy a soap or the container I would not like. Besides, I always preferred the LPL in 200 grams to those in 98 grams, precisely for the size of the container (and also to have longer).

0 233
 01-23-2017, 02:28 AM
User Info
(01-23-2017, 01:40 AM)PapySnake Wrote:
(01-22-2017, 04:16 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

I understand your problem, I confess that I would not buy a soap or the container I would not like. Besides, I always preferred the LPL in 200 grams to those in 98 grams, precisely for the size of the container (and also to have longer).

Agreed. I own 8-9 LPL shaving soaps. All are in 200 gram SS containers except Dandy which is 125 gram (not 98 gram)
The 98 gram containers are far too small imho.

24 6,018